Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:03:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [AUCTION] Aluminum 1st Edition Trezor  (Read 746 times)
hephaist0s (OP)

Activity: 711
Merit: 532

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 04:26:30 PM

This auction is for one rare 1st edition aluminum-body Trezor -- "The Bitcoin Safe"! I am the original owner.

It is in like-new condition, though it has been opened. It will arrive reset, blank & with original packaging and accessories.

The Trezor was the first Bitcoin hardware wallet, and it is arguably still the best, with widespread support and an active development team, which has promised support far into the future. It also supports Dash, Zcash, Litecoin and Ethereum. It is usable with the wallet.trezor.io web wallet, as well as wallets such as Electrum, Multibit HD, and Mycelium (Mycelium is especially powerful, since as a smartphone app it lets you scan QR codes). It can also be used as a secure, password-less login device at supported sites.

This Trezor has been carefully stored and seen only very light use, used as a vault and not for daily transactions. There are a couple very light blemishes on the aluminum, which may be seen in the pictures (such as light nick on left button), but it arrived from Trezor with these tiny marks and I believe they are natural by-products of the manufacturing process.

The build quality on these is truly impressive. It feels like you could drive a truck over it!

I did try to auction this back in December, at a different price, and was not successful. Trying again!

http://bitcointrezor.com/#about-trezor

http://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-apps/index.html

Starting bid: .25 BTC
Bid increments: .001 BTC
End time: Monday 7/10/2017 at 6:00 PM EST (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/new-york)

Sniping: Last-minute bids will cause the auction end time to be extended so that the auction ends 30 minutes after the last bid.

Shipping: US shipping is .003 BTC. International shipping may be more. Escrow is welcome, but fees must be paid by the buyer.

Reputable bidders only.

Watch out for scammers & make payments only to this address, which is in my signature: 1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu

Tips graciously accepted on my behalf by Mr. Pig. | object2212.com | BTC:1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu | ETH:0x3c1bC39EC7F3f6b26ACb6eeeEFe7dE2f486a72E9

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptoheadd

Activity: 1022
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 04:41:30 PM

Glad to see one of these up for auction.
Has the recovery seed page been used?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2017, 04:45:56 PM

Are you trying to sell this as a collectible or a hardware wallet? I am not sure about the price that a second hand Trezor would fetch. I would bid, but not with that starting price due to several reasons:
1) If you're trying to sell it as a collectible, it has already been opened and used.
2) If you're trying to sell it as a hardware wallet, it has already been used. It is completely not recommended to buy second hand hardware wallets unless one wants trouble.

Tl;dr: High starting price. Do you know of any other past auctions of this model?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
hephaist0s (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 04:46:09 PM

Glad to see one of these up for auction.
Has the recovery seed page been used?

No, it has not! All of the original materials are in great, unused condition.

Tips graciously accepted on my behalf by Mr. Pig. | object2212.com | BTC:1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu | ETH:0x3c1bC39EC7F3f6b26ACb6eeeEFe7dE2f486a72E9
hephaist0s (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 04:53:11 PM

Are you trying to sell this as a collectible or a hardware wallet? I am not sure about the price that a second hand Trezor would fetch. I would bid, but not with that starting price due to several reasons:
1) If you're trying to sell it as a collectible, it has already been opened and used.
2) If you're trying to sell it as a hardware wallet, it has already been used. It is completely not recommended to buy second hand hardware wallets unless one wants trouble.

Tl;dr: High starting price. Do you know of any other past auctions of this model?

Your points are fair. I'd argue that it's a collectible, and an excellent hardware wallet -- not only one-or-the-other.

As a collectible, if it had *never* been opened, it would be pretty boring since it would be just a cardboard box and you couldn't see the device. Still, I get your point.

As a hardware wallet, I am the original owner, I got it directly from TREZOR, and I do not have anything remotely resembling the skills to hack it -- if that is even possible. If you'd like me to prove I'm not that smart, I'll gladly do so Sad

As for the price, these were originally 3 BTC each, and they are no longer available. So are we pricing in dollars, BTC, collectible value... I really don't think this is an unfair starting price.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2017, 04:57:28 PM

Your points are fair. I'd argue that it's a collectible, and an excellent hardware wallet -- not only one-or-the-other.
I didn't mean to imply that it's mutually exclusive. I was rather just interested in your view of it.

As a collectible, if it had *never* been opened, it would be pretty boring since it would be just a cardboard box and you couldn't see the device. Still, I get your point.
If you think that, then you don't understand collectibles. Unopened boxes are usually a lot more valuable than boxes which have been opened (let alone used).

As a hardware wallet, I am the original owner, I got it directly from TREZOR, and I do not have anything remotely resembling the skills to hack it -- if that is even possible. If you'd like me to prove I'm not that smart, I'll gladly do so Sad
I didn't mean to imply that you would hack it. It is just not generally good to buy second hand hardware wallets, regardless who the seller is.

As for the price, these were originally 3 BTC each, and they are no longer available. So are we pricing in dollars, BTC, collectible value... I really don't think this is an unfair starting price.
The pricing is in USD most of the time IMO. If you look closely, almost all premiums have been tanking sharply ever since BTC/USD has been on the rise. What was the USD value of those 3 BTC at the time?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
hephaist0s (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 05:08:13 PM

I didn't mean to imply that it's mutually exclusive. I was rather just interested in your view of it.

If you think that, then you don't understand collectibles. Unopened boxes are usually a lot more valuable than boxes which have been opened (let alone used).

I didn't mean to imply that you would hack it. It is just not generally good to buy second hand hardware wallets, regardless who the seller is.

The pricing is in USD most of the time IMO. If you look closely, almost all premiums have been tanking sharply ever since BTC/USD has been on the rise. What was the USD value of those 3 BTC at the time?

Look, it is what it is. I've explained and shown that it is open, but in good condition. I can't make it something that it isn't. If no one is interested at this price, that is ok. It seems like you're advising people not to bid on my auction -- I admit, I was hoping they would.  I have tried to describe the item as accurately as possible, and was hoping there might be some interest. Maybe I misjudged.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2017, 05:12:59 PM

Look, it is what it is.
Look, I've taught you something valuable about collectibles. If you have any more items that you may be *collecting*, it is best to not open them at all.

It seems like you're advising people not to bid on my auction -- I admit, I was hoping they would.
No? I am not even able to say whether the asking price is reasonable or not considering that you have not answered my questions. I will try again:
1) Do you know of any past (second hand) sales or auctions of this item?
2) What was the USD total price of the 3 BTC when the item was on sale?

Thanks.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ezeminer
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1118

Lie down. Have a cookie

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 05:30:52 PM

I did try to auction this back in December, at a different price, and was not successful. Trying again!

Why not start at 0 and see where the market takes it?

hephaist0s (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 05:31:35 PM

Look, I've taught you something valuable about collectibles.

Thank you.

1) Do you know of any past (second hand) sales or auctions of this item?
2) What was the USD total price of the 3 BTC when the item was on sale?

Thanks.

1) No, I'm not aware of any successful past sales of the 1st edition aluminum Trezor. That's why this is a special occasion!

2) I'm a little stumped by your second question. We're doing all our auctions in USD now? This is how bitcoiners think these days? So every time someone sells a Casascius coin, their auction post includes an analysis of the US dollar value at time of purchase, and the projected US dollar value now? You've really lost me with this. (People are, of course, free to calculate their own conversions.)

But I don't want to be accused of not answering your questions, so I *think* bitcoin was around $550 when I got this in May of 2014.

hephaist0s (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 05:33:26 PM

Why not start at 0 and see where the market takes it?

Because it's worth more to me than that. That's why people set a starting price sometimes. This is not strange. Can we just let people not bid, instead of passing judgement on the worthwhileness of the auction?

But I get what you're saying -- if the market value is less than .25, then we won't be able to accurately discover that.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2017, 05:39:25 PM

1) No, I'm not aware of any successful past sales of the 1st edition aluminum Trezor. That's why this is a special occasion!
Okay, thanks for answering.

2) I'm a little stumped by your second question. We're doing all our auctions in USD now? This is how bitcoiners think these days? So every time someone sells a Casascius coin, their auction post includes an analysis of the US dollar value at time of purchase, and the projected US dollar value now? You've really lost me with this. (People are, of course, free to calculate their own conversions.)
They don't explicitly value the items in USD, but implicitly they do. I have explained this by stating that premiums have been dropping sharply since BTC has been rising.

But I don't want to be accused of not answering your questions, so I *think* bitcoin was around $550 when I got this in May of 2014.
In May 2014, the price of Bitcoin was around ~$250.

Because it's worth more to me than that. That's why people set a starting price sometimes. This is not strange. Can we just let people not bid, instead of passing judgement on the worthwhileness of the auction?
Then put a reserve price. If you want to make it hidden, you can try PM-ing someone beforehand (e.g. minerjones, lutpin, me, etc.).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2017, 06:29:55 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2017, 06:44:43 PM by BitcoinNewsMagazine

@Lauda the packaging for the aluminum Trezors was identical to the plastic models. If unopened there is no way to tell from the packaging that what is inside is aluminum or plastic. I have one and would not sell for 0.25 bitcoin so starting price seems fair. I really doubt Trezor will ever sell these again as they made me aware what a pain it was to machine those housings.

BreathOfZen

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 06:34:46 PM

IMO if you are afraid to take something out of the package then you aren't collecting it, you are just hoarding it. Part of collecting is that you get joy out of the object itself which usually means value-destroying acts like actually holding it or using it.

Aoeui Artifacts
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 08:50:00 AM

All time wisdom from the Simpsons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNUtreybeVE
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1176

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 09:27:40 AM

It does look gorgeous, with or without the original packaging. I would love to pick it up, but my collection is on pause at the moment. I don't know why there are so many comments about your pricing, it's an auction with a reasonable start price - if you don't want to bid, move along.

I do have one question though, is it possible to replace the battery on these devices?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
FFrankie

Activity: 2254
Merit: 960

100% Deposit Match UP TO €5000!

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 09:28:26 AM

It does look gorgeous, with or without the original packaging. I would love to pick it up, but my collection is on pause at the moment. I don't know why there are so many comments about your pricing, it's an auction with a reasonable start price - if you don't want to bid, move along.

I do have one question though, is it possible to replace the battery on these devices?

Well I gotta ask what happens if the battery dies anybody know?
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 11:29:17 AM

Well I gotta ask what happens if the battery dies anybody know?
Trezor has no battery. Unplugged means it's completely off.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 11:32:34 AM

People paid 3 BTC to get this item, and there are not many who did so. Doesn't matter how much USD it was -- it was paid in Bitcoin.  (But if you care about the USD value back then, it was roughly 3 BTC = $400 iirc.)

I think that 0.25 BTC is a very fair, even cheap, for this collectible Trezor device. These are very rarely traded due to the nature and scarcity of the item.

Trezor devices do not have a battery. They're powered via the USB. Key seed bits are in a permanent memory, doesn't require electricity. And of course you'll have at least one backup of the seed in *any* case.

digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1072

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 01:49:08 AM

People paid 3 BTC to get this item, and there are not many who did so. Doesn't matter how much USD it was -- it was paid in Bitcoin.  (But if you care about the USD value back then, it was roughly 3 BTC = $400 iirc.)

I think that 0.25 BTC is a very fair, even cheap, for this collectible Trezor device. These are very rarely traded due to the nature and scarcity of the item.

Trezor devices do not have a battery. They're powered via the USB. Key seed bits are in a permanent memory, doesn't require electricity. And of course you'll have at least one backup of the seed in *any* case.

Thanks for the info Anduck, the Aluminum Trezor is pretty cool and I wish I picked one up a while ago.   Smiley

As for the battery, I feel that any device with a battery nowadays is destined to have some issue since the battery cannot last forever.  Heck, we even have exploding batteries that completely obliterate the physical device.

hephaist0s (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 02:07:25 AM

Hey folks. I realize this is poor form, but I am pulling the plug on this auction. I hope this is ok with you all, in light of the fact that 3 days have passed with no bids -- by my reckoning, there are no harmed parties here.

I really never wanted to sell this, I definitely didn't want to sell it at .25, so I never should have put it up for auction. The fact is, it seemed like a special item to me, and I thought others might find it to be so as well. Instead, I found myself defending the very idea of the auction against hostile criticism.

Had anyone bid, I would have absolutely honored the terms of the auction, of course. I think I have shown this with my other auctions.

If anyone has objections to my behavior, please contact me directly and we can discuss. In the meantime, I am locking this thread.

This was my mistake. I should not have tried to sell this item again, when I didn't really want to sell it in the first place. My apologies.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: