Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:55:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: More child boards...  (Read 2236 times)
frobley

Activity: 708
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:15:31 PM

+1 needs child boards in alts for recognised alts

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:20:33 PM

So you mean, allowing no one to post in the alt currencies section besides the official coin release which redirects them to the coin specific forum? That is and idea, not many would like it I don't think, but it definitely is an idea, if not a last resort type.

Who decides what the recognized alts are? And what is the definition of a recognized alt?
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 05:26:06 PM

This board needs to be a complete mess.  That's the only way it will stay calm and peaceful like it is.  If you create a sub-board for Namecoin and Litecoin, then you'll have to create boards for Feathercoin, Junkcoin, might as well do Solidcoin, and the other 20 different coins that came out this month.  There would be no end.  A new coin every day = new board every day, not going to happen on bitcointalk.  On Bitcoin Trading I do exactly that: create subsections for all new altcoins, but even I have to admit.. It's a pain to have to add new sections every day. 
NamLaLai

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:33:16 PM

Would it be possible to give each coin a single tag/code and the user could choose to ignore/not see certain tags, like you can ignore other posters? General messages and languages could have tags too. On the 'frontpage' one would be able to select and save (+ quickly change) preferences, only see what one is interested in...
When starting a new thread, people would have to choose a tag from the pool. Something like this:

000 | Message from the Admin (always present)
001 | Bitcoin
002 | Litecoin
003 | Whatevercoin 1
004 | Whatevercoin 2
etc., etc.
020 | Russian
021 | Chinese
etc., etc.

Example: Enable tag '001', '004', '020' etc. and all you would see is general messages from the admin/moderator, threads about Bitcoin, Whatevercoin 2 and Russian ones, nothing else.... until you select more tags.

Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:49:31 PM

How about allowing one and only one thread for each altcoin, and that thread being the official altcoin announcement?

I like the idea, it's all that's needed to see the most popular coins. The top page of each altcoin thread should have links to all the related threads anyways.

So you mean, allowing no one to post in the alt currencies section besides the official coin release which redirects them to the coin specific forum? That is and idea, not many would like it I don't think, but it definitely is an idea, if not a last resort type.

What I prefer would be a child board in the Alternate cryptocurrencies section, like:
Child Boards: Official Threads

In that section, only one official thread from each alt coin would be allowed. The original Alternate cryptocurrencies section would still exist and people could put their related threads there.

spiderJ

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:57:53 PM

Might be best to have an entire new alts forum and then make seperate child boards on here once the coin's been 'established'.
gabbynot

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:00:11 PM

Again, this is a Bitcoin forum, not a cryptocurrency forum.  The Alt fans should be thankful they're getting any space at all.

You wouldn't go into a coin collecting forum & demand the mods create sub forums for all the different types of stamp collecting.  

If you want an alt-currency forum, no one is stopping you from creating your own.
Simran

Activity: 714

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:03:55 PM

Who decides what the recognized alts are? And what is the definition of a recognized alt?

Smiley, please read my thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=200201

I think the majority of the users should poll what alt should be allowed in this main subforum.

*Image Removed*
Donate LTC: LRgbgTa3XNQSEUhnwC6Ye2vjiCV2CNRpib
Donate BTC: 1AGP6xPTRvsAVhsRsBX13NUH6p6LJjyeiA
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:27:40 PM

Its 100% not going to happen, sorry guys, it wasn't my decision, but I still don't personally support child boards for each coin even if it was mine to make. There would be 50 new sections that would need to go up daily, and then when an alt coin dies, it would need to be removed, etc etc.

This is the Bitcoin forum with an Altcoin subsection. Its not really designed, or meant to be the official place to be for alt coins. That would be the individual coin's forums.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:36:54 PM

Instead of stupid rules or banning things or dumb votes why not just a Cryptocurrency Forum of its own:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=200327.0

+ 1 if you agree

take the innovative ideas there, obviously (Ha HA) Bitcoin supporters have no interest in seeing innovation take off in an Alternative that is is not SHA-256 (that is understandable )

so why not take the innovation off the forum .

or slowly die of spam, with our hands tied?

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:47:14 PM

Again, this is a Bitcoin forum, not a cryptocurrency forum.  The Alt fans should be thankful they're getting any space at all.

You wouldn't go into a coin collecting forum & demand the mods create sub forums for all the different types of stamp collecting.  

If you want an alt-currency forum, no one is stopping you from creating your own.

Pardon me, but we've been discussing Namecoin on this forum since Satoshi was calling it BitDNS or whatever.

Coins:Stamps::Bitcoins:Altcoins?  What an atrociously bad, logically deficient syllogism.

Bitcoin and Bitcoin-like virtual cryptocurrencies are all Satosh's children.

At what point did we decide only his first born was worth of our attention and the rest should be confined to the "alternate" coin ghetto?

Litecoin?  That's just Bitcoin's crazy cousin.  We keep him locked up in the basement, even lower on the menu than Off-Topic.

Namecoin?  Well, Namecoin is Bitcoin's little sister so we let her run around, because she's got development problems and doesn't hurt anything.   Roll Eyes

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
gabbynot

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:53:17 PM

Again, this is a Bitcoin forum, not a cryptocurrency forum.  The Alt fans should be thankful they're getting any space at all.

Pardon me, but we've been discussing Namecoin on this forum since Satoshi was calling it BitDNS or whatever.

Coins:Stamps::Bitcoins:Altcoins?  What an atrociously bad, logically deficient syllogism.

Bitcoin and Bitcoin-like virtual cryptocurrencies are all Satosh's children.

At what point did we decide only his first born was worth of our attention and the rest should be confined to the "alternate" coin ghetto?

Litecoin?  That's just Bitcoin's crazy cousin.  We keep him locked up in the basement, even lower on the menu than Off-Topic.

Namecoin?  Well, Namecoin is Bitcoin's little sister so we let her run around, because she's got development problems and doesn't hurt anything.   Roll Eyes

This is bitcointalk.org, not cryptocurrency.org or altcurrency.org.  Not sure how to make it any simpler for you.
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:55:42 PM

Just put all the trading topics and giveaways in a separate sub-forum. Straight away that is a big chunk of the 'non-content' topics taken care of in a fair way.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:04:55 PM

Just put all the trading topics and giveaways in a separate sub-forum. Straight away that is a big chunk of the 'non-content' topics taken care of in a fair way.

+1

Although todays active topics run 7 pages deep, the altcoins' user base is very little and very new - not really established. As SaltySpitoon noticed a lot of the newly created boards dedicated to the new altcoins would be sooner or later dead - as most altcoins are only popular for a few days weeks of (p/h)ump & dumping.

Just separating trading, contests, giveaways etc. from the rest would be enough.

If enough people really want a separate subforum/child forum for their altcoin they might as well chip in $50 for a domain and hosting for a year for a forum dedicated to their altcoin.

Signature space available for rent.
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:05:55 PM

Its 100% not going to happen, sorry guys, it wasn't my decision, but I still don't personally support child boards for each coin even if it was mine to make. There would be 50 new sections that would need to go up daily, and then when an alt coin dies, it would need to be removed, etc etc.

This is the Bitcoin forum with an Altcoin subsection. Its not really designed, or meant to be the official place to be for alt coins. That would be the individual coin's forums.

Well, I guess on a certain level this is OK. Because this subforum is so broken its unusable anymore (5+ pages per day), people will be FORCED into going to the Litecoin forums (https://forum.litecoin.net/), the forums for the alt-mining pools, and other various forums dedicated to other alts or related subjects.

Its going to be an evolution by necessity. If BTCT is the Gox of crypto discussion, its centralization is obviously a huge problem and we need to evolve sooner rather than later, so I for one support letting this subforum nuke itself into oblivion.

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6254

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:56:17 PM

I support the idea of child boards, but not one per currency.

Better thematic forums, like some people have proposed:

- an altcoin trading subforum
- an "Announcement" & "Giveaway" subforum for new coins and faucets

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 11:18:09 PM

This is bitcointalk.org, not cryptocurrency.org or altcurrency.org.  Not sure how to make it any simpler for you.

You don't need to make it "any simpler" for me (I've been here longer than you have, simpleton).

I know what the name of the site is.  Not sure why you think that pointing out an undisputed, obvious fact is some kind of amazing, debate-clinching argument.   Huh

Namecoin has been around about as long as Bitcoin and is still openly discussed in the main forum.  Must we change the name to BitcoinAndNamecoinTalk?  According to your simpleton logic, yes we should.   Wink

Bitcoin is both a kind of new technology and a specific (first) instance of that technology, so it's perfectly appropriate to discuss all variations on this forum.

I'm sorry if such complex ideas don't fit into your tiny, simplicity-seeking shell of a head thing.

Coins:Stamps::Bitcoins:Altcoins?  Pfft.  What idiocy!   Roll Eyes

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
gabbynot

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:33:52 PM

Take a deep breath.  Sounds like you're having a pretty rough day & takings things a bit too seriously.  Sorry you got so wound up in the coin collecting / stamp collecting thing.

Anyways...just a heads up:  Namecoin does have it's own forum.  Lots of other alts do too.  No one is stopping you or anyone from starting up an alt-cryto forum.  There's just no need for Bitcointalk to cater to every single scam-coin-of-the-day.

ilostcoins

Activity: 274

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:42:50 PM

I agree this alt-coin board is overcrowded and need more structure.

LTC: LSyqwk4YbhBRtkrUy8NRdKXFoUcgVpu8Qb   NVC: 4HtynfYVyRYo6yM8BTAqyNYwqiucfoPqFW   TAG id: 4313
CMC: CAHrzqveVm9UxGm7PZtT4uj6su4suxKzZv   YAC: Y9m5S7M24sdkjdwxnA9GZpPez6k6EqUjUt
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 02:53:49 AM

Take a deep breath.  Sounds like you're having a pretty rough day & takings things a bit too seriously.  Sorry you got so wound up in the coin collecting / stamp collecting thing.

Anyways...just a heads up:  Namecoin does have it's own forum.  Lots of other alts do too.  No one is stopping you or anyone from starting up an alt-cryto forum.  There's just no need for Bitcointalk to cater to every single scam-coin-of-the-day.

I never said someone "is stopping [me] or anyone from starting up an alt-cryto forum."  You are very fond of rebutting claims I didn't make!   Tongue

Your post is 100% slander and fallacy, containing zero persuasive potential.  Such content-free ad hominem blathering does nothing to help your case.

Again, I've been here longer than you and am very aware of the (other) .bit project focused sites.

You are ignoring the fact, which I pointed out, that Namecoin has always been welcome here, even outside the altcoin prison, in the main forum.

Why was the precedent of support and integration set by NMC changed to altcoin suppression and apartheid?

Because bitcoin:altcoin::coins:stamps?  I didn't get "hung up" on your absurd syllogism, I simply made fun of it for being retarded.   Cheesy

I never advocated for "Bitcointalk to cater to every single scam-coin-of-the-day."  Those are just words you're trying to put in my mouth, in order to create a strawman for you to knock down.  Wow, you're such a hero!  You saved precious princess Bitcointalk from the menace of the Awful Altcoins!   Roll Eyes

The only two changes I'd like to see are

1.  Move the altcoin section higher up (to at least above off-topic).

2.  A few basic child boards to improve organization.  One for alt pools would be a good start.  And Litecoin certainly has earned one.

Now please, go back to painting me as some kind of angry, "too serious" person sorely in need of a "deep breath" and "having a pretty rough day."   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████