Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 07:28:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble setting up mining rig  (Read 475 times)
fletch177 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 11:44:14 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm just trying to set up a second mining rig but I have encountered an annoying problem that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.
When I connect my GPU to a particular PCI-e slot, it is recognised by the motherboard as being connected into 2 PCI-e slots. Here are some pictures that might help explain what I mean;
http://imgur.com/kZPY94C
(only one GPU connected)
http://imgur.com/LJvQ5Pd
(Motherboard thinks 2 GPU's connected)

If I plug another GPU into that second PCI-e slot it inst detected. Both PCI-e slots work individually, just not at the same time.
This same problem happens with another 2 PCI-e ports on the motherboard, so the maximum amount of GPU's I can run is 4.

I also have 4G decoding enabled and have tried Gen1, Gen2 and Gen3
http://imgur.com/wN347Vz

My motherboard is MSI 270 Tomahawk with Intel Celeron G3930
Im also using GTX 1060 cards.
I have been trying for the last 2 days to find a fix but with no success, so I thought I might ask if there is anyone out there who has had a similar problem.
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 12:06:02 PM

Why the hell are you plugging the card in x1 slot?  Please read the manual of your motherboard before assembling your rig. First of all, let's make a check list:
Updated bios? Yes, then good. If no, thats the first thing you gotta do.
Set PCIe Link speed to GEN1 and then plug your card in first x16 slot, then the second card in second x16 slot, after that third card in first x1 slot just next to x16 slot and so on.
Try it and let me know your results.
Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 02:15:59 PM

Why the hell are you plugging the card in x1 slot?  Please read the manual of your motherboard before assembling your rig. First of all, let's make a check list:
Set PCIe Link speed to GEN1 and then plug your card in first x16 slot, then the second card in second x16 slot, after that third card in first x1 slot just next to x16 slot and so on.

maybe he mean with risers in x1 slot, he can't plug the card directly there they have no the support for that, x1 slot make sense for mining, why you said he shoudl plug there?

MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 07:33:53 PM

Why the hell are you plugging the card in x1 slot?  Please read the manual of your motherboard before assembling your rig. First of all, let's make a check list:

maybe he mean with risers in x1 slot, he can't plug the card directly there they have no the support for that, x1 slot make sense for mining, why you said he shoudl plug there?

Brother, I know x1 slot is specifically used by the GPU via risers but I'm trying to say that, first occupy all three x16 lanes in the mob with GPUs and then connect x1 lane to GPU via risers and make a check. I had a similar problem like that where I went in ascending order and the system was acting funny, only to realise after by reading the manual that first you got to occupy all three x16 lanes and then start adding more GPUs in x1 lanes.

Moreover, there is no PEG1 Max Link Speed in your bios, which makes me wonder, if it's updated or not because in my bios I have two options:
PEG0 Max Link Speed and PEG1 Max Link Speed.
fletch177 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 04:34:35 AM

I have figured it out. The MSI Z270 Tomahawk disables PCI slots 2 and 5 when slots 3 and 6 are occupied. So it turns out it is impossible to run 6 GPU's using the PCI slots on this particular motherboard. I have returned the motherboard and purchased a new asus prime Z270-a. Going to try with this one now.
darkomega69

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 05:42:05 AM

I have figured it out. The MSI Z270 Tomahawk disables PCI slots 2 and 5 when slots 3 and 6 are occupied. So it turns out it is impossible to run 6 GPU's using the PCI slots on this particular motherboard. I have returned the motherboard and purchased a new asus prime Z270-a. Going to try with this one now.

Great board.  Running it with 9 x 1070 with m2 adapters.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: