Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:20:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Term Investment: Teenagers  (Read 7988 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 01:17:19 AM

this is one of the reasons i got involved in bitcoin, hyperlocalism & sustainable community mentality is picking up some serious steam

Hyperlocalism is for tree hugging hippie.

If you want world peace, have global trade!

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4764748/The_Obama_Deception_by_Alex_Jones_Divx_697mb

Don't be so lazy that you force me to watch 45 minutes of video.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tyler

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 01:20:44 AM

this is one of the reasons i got involved in bitcoin, hyperlocalism & sustainable community mentality is picking up some serious steam

Hyperlocalism is for tree hugging hippie.

If you want world peace, have global trade!

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4764748/The_Obama_Deception_by_Alex_Jones_Divx_697mb

Don't be so lazy that you force me to watch 45 minutes of video.

Lazy? What? do you want me to transcribe it for you?
https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 01:33:29 AM

All I am asking you is to put the argument into your own words.

tyler

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 01:37:19 AM

Its not easily quantifiable. in my community hyperlocalism is a hot topic. if we can piggyback bitcoin on hot trends that provide "actual" products and services, i say why not?

can you quantify that hyperlocalism and sustainable communities are *only* for "tree hugging hippies"?
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 01:48:36 AM

Its not easily quantifiable. in my community hyperlocalism is a hot topic. if we can piggyback bitcoin on hot trends that provide "actual" products and services, i say why not?

can you quantify that hyperlocalism and sustainable communities are *only* for "tree hugging hippies"?

If you want prosperity, global trade is the way to go. Global trade encourage division of labor and specialization, which lead us to still more economic productivity.

And global trade forge interdependency. Interdependency mean that if you attack your trading partners, it will be harmful.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 02:04:05 AM

If you want prosperity, global trade is the way to go. Global trade encourage division of labor and specialization, which lead us to still more economic productivity.

And global trade forge interdependency. Interdependency mean that if you attack your trading partners, it will be harmful.

Indeed...

desertislandgame.com

That is not to say that global trade is always the way to go.  In a post peak oil world, the 1000 mile salad is unlikely to be able to continue to compete with the 20 mile alternative.  Yet, traders consider the costs of trading.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 02:07:04 AM

Indeed...

desertislandgame.com

That is not to say that global trade is always the way to go.  In a post peak oil world, the 1000 mile salad is unlikely to be able to continue to compete with the 20 mile alternative.  Yet, traders consider the costs of trading.

I heard that growing is the greatest use of oil resource, rather than the transportation part.

asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 03:17:58 AM

Global trade is GOOD. Global government is BAD.

Government should as be decentralized as possible and limited in scope; it certainly shouldn't be involved in ANY economic activity.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2010, 03:45:40 AM

Localism is just another type of bigotry. Trade with whomever can do the most with the least and we'll all be wealthy. This will often be people near you because of lower transportation costs and in the past because of the cost of knowledge, but that is dropping to zero.

But really, insisting on only dividing labor with people who happen to be near you is very wasteful.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 03:49:31 AM

And teens don't care about terms like those back to the topic.

Some one needs to set up a weed4bitcoin and booze4bitcoin.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 03:58:33 AM

I insist a virtual world of some kind is the right idea to soak unemployed teenagers!

Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 04:01:39 AM

Couldn't they mine World of Warcraft gold or something and sell it for bitcoin?
I may be really off base here.  I don't play WoW or any other type of those games, but I did hear there was a market in WoW gold where first-worlders pay third-worlders to generate gold.
tyler

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 04:05:08 AM

And teens don't care about terms like those back to the topic.

Some one needs to set up a weed4bitcoin and booze4bitcoin.

Ive actually thought about making a weed2bitcoin service
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 06:35:25 AM

If you wish to succeed, delete the above post, and refrain from making such direct statements on openly accessable forums that otherwise archive your statements.

Really, someone needs to put up a simple machines forum as a hidden service in TOR, and then PM me the address.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
tyler

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 06:41:26 AM

If you wish to succeed, delete the above post, and refrain from making such direct statements on openly accessable forums that otherwise archive your statements.

Really, someone needs to put up a simple machines forum as a hidden service in TOR, and then PM me the address.

i think that will be my next project
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 06:48:41 AM

i think that will be my next project

Good lucks and hope that you don't have the feds up on your ass. (I dislike these kind of projects as they are likely to drawn heats from authorities.)

bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 07:44:57 AM

He may live in Netherlands and be unaffected by certain drug laws.

Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 08:05:06 AM

I think what Tyler was trying to say was....

In my community hyperlocalism is a hot topic. if we can piggyback bitcoin on hot trends that provide "actual" products and services, i say why not?

Wait.  That's what he actually DID say...

Point:  It doesn't matter if you're for or against "hyperlocalism"... it IS a hot topic.  It's very smart marketing to piggyback on that idea... for the purposes of marketing Bitcoin.  

I have friends who are Very hot on that concept.  It's a very popular notion in liberal urban New York City.  We get all our dairy raw from the cow, delivered, in Midtown Manhattan.  

Meanwhile, if you're talking to audiences that are all for Global free trade, Bitcoin works there too.

Either case can be used as a selling point for Bitcoin.  

Even (especially!) the "I hate banks, bankers, and PayPal!" crowd...

As for Pot4Bitcoin...  well, they deliver EVERYTHING to your door when you live in Manhattan.  But so far, they seem to prefer the green paper fiat currency of the common people.  Smiley

Since we can get cash for bitcoin so easily here, and pot for cash so easily, I'm not real sure of the need for a pot-for-bitcoin operation.   Definitely, the risks would outweigh whatever benefits there may be.  Smiley

It would be interesting to hear the pot dealer's reaction to the idea though.  

If only pot could be shipped electronically,  like a bitcoin.  Smiley

As for positive PR, sticking with selling goods and services that Are legal to sell, would probably be the smartest PR strategy.   Smiley  
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 08:11:03 AM

Point:  It doesn't matter if you're for or against "hyperlocalism"... it IS a hot topic.  It's very smart marketing to piggyback on that idea... for the purposes of marketing Bitcoin.  

I have friends who are Very hot on that concept.  It's a very popular notion in liberal urban New York City.  We get all our dairy raw from the cow, delivered, in Midtown Manhattan.  

Very well...I just have an allergic reaction to ideas that I considered fallacious notions, especially anything that threaten my material prosperity.(Long term, at least)

Immanuel

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 02:19:57 PM

16 year old here. I introduced the concept to many friends and a whole class. No dice.

Immanuel, YOU are here.    And that's what matters.   It's really cool that you are here.   How did YOU first hear about Bitcoin?

Maybe it would be more interesting to do a presentation to ADULTS...   They might be so impressed that this concept is being presented to them by a teen, that they might take an interest in trying it.

One selling point might be:   A new way to energize the local economy.    Local shops and merchants begin accepting Bitcoin, and keeping the money in the local community (mostly).

Even write up a News Story --- just as if YOU were a newspaper reporter, exactly as it would appear in a newspaper --- all about "Local Teenager Introducing Futuristic Money to Boost Local Economy".   Write the story.   Make it sound real newsy.   Then put the words, "PRESS RELEASE" on the top....  and "CONTACT DETAILS:" at the bottom along with your own email address and phone number.   Send it to every newspaper and local TV and radio station.   I'll bet money that one of them WILL run the story!

I actually intern at our local newspaper. I could attempt to get some Bitcoin advertising going.

There's also a Gold and Silver Bullion store down the road. Maybe I could ask them to display some Bitcoin brochures? Have them accept bitcoin for their gold and silver coins? Eh, that's going to take some convincing.

Anyways, thanks.

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: