Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:32:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! new to mining. Motherboard mystery  (Read 643 times)
sjkelleyjr (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 05:21:23 AM

I've finally had time to invest into an altcoin miner.  I'm an absolute beginner, and I'm absolutely at a loss.

Here are my specs as they pertain to my problem:

RAM: 8GB DIMM DDR3 Desktop PC3-12800 12800 1600MHz 1600 240-pin Ram Memory by CENTERNEX (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H7YHLW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

MOBO: ASRock H81 PRO BTC R2.0 LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard (https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-H81-PRO-BTC-R2-0/dp/B01M5FQZYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498972091&sr=8-1&keywords=asrock+pro+btc+r2.0)

CPU: Intel Celeron G1840 Processor - BX80646G1840  (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J2LIE9C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80+ GOLD, 1000W Fully Modular (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGYCNG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The problem:
After installing the CPU and it's fan, the RAM, and the power switch in the motherboard I wanted to test the system.  It's my understanding that at this point I should be able to plug a monitor into the motherboard and see something show up on the screen on boot.  However, this is not the case.  When I power up the PSU, the fans on it come on (I also tested this separately before hooking it up to the motherboard so I know this is working fine).  The CPU fan also powers up immediately after the PSU is powered on (I find this peculiar considering this happens previous to pushing the power switch on the motherboard).

I'm at a loss because if the motherboard was DOA, I wouldn't expect the CPU fans to have power.  I seems as though the power switch is doing nothing, however when I press it, the fans on the PSU speed up (when it's in ECO mode, the fans changed their speed in relation to power draw).  When I try adding a GPU to the pcie bus (directly on the MOBO without any risers) none of the fans come on it.  I also tried pulling the RAM to see if that fixed anything and I'm getting the same symptoms as when it's in.

My set up looks exactly like this one found from a previous poster, however I have a power switch connected by the red arrow, and I only have 1 stick of RAM instead of 2.

https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FaNw6pOW.jpg&t=578&c=M_MFG5vhhy6NGA

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

alrami

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 11:53:24 AM

I'm not sure, but it can be due to old MOBO BIOS.
My old MOBO started with G1840 only after i'm change BIOS to a new version.
Also look at manual to be sure that DIMM 1 slot is really the #1
hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 12:11:10 PM

Mobo manual says that they work good with 6th/7th gen CPU. They do, but in order to get it working with 7th gen you need to insert 6th gen CPU 1st and update bios.

Had same problem with ASRock H170 Pro4/D3 and 7th gen CPU
sjkelleyjr (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 02:26:54 PM

@alrami I tried both DIMM slots to no avail.

aaaahhhh... but I've only got the 1 cpu.  Shoot!  Thanks for your help!
sjkelleyjr (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 04:02:30 AM

I failed to mention.  The motherboard isn't posting (I hear no beep).  I took a volt meter the the power button pins though, and I am getting voltage across them.  Does this info help diagnose the problem in any way?
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:18:29 AM

I failed to mention.  The motherboard isn't posting (I hear no beep).  I took a volt meter the the power button pins though, and I am getting voltage across them.  Does this info help diagnose the problem in any way?

Is the CPU power hooked up?

Once I ended up with a bad motherboard from a computer show...wasted 1 day on it...was pissed, had to find the guy at next show and get a new one.

thesavoyard

Activity: 560
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:24:19 AM

Right next to your 4 pin molex and your pcie 0 slot there are 3 pins with a jumper. Move the jumper to slots 2 and 3 for 10 seconds to reset the bios. You shouldn't need the molex plugged in without GPU but maybe try them? I have an extra 1150 skylake cpu lying around, wish I could lend it to you.

hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:41:16 AM

@alrami I tried both DIMM slots to no avail.

aaaahhhh... but I've only got the 1 cpu.  Shoot!  Thanks for your help!

find someone who cal lend you 6th gen CPU (skylake) for half an hour and update bios. I'm 99% sure that's the issue. Or buy one yourself G4500 is less than $100, thats what i use.
sjkelleyjr (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 03:14:21 PM

@thesavoyard Yeah, I tried that.

@btcgolong It's powered.  Yeah that's exactly what I'm worried about.  I got it on ebay so I think my window to return it is small.  Too small to wait for the 6th gen CPU, so I'm kind of taking a gamble that it's the CPU and not the MOBO.

@hanskan I just want to make sure it's the CPU before I purchase another one, and the fact that it isn't posting is making me nervous that the board is toast, but I suppose the power button pins are getting power...

Anyway thanks again.  Just thought I'd make sure everyone has all the info.  I'll report back if and when I make decisions.
chancoin

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 04:33:25 PM

Your mobo is probably fried. Do you have it on standoffs? Did you remove the static from your body before handling the mobo?
k98s

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 04:38:40 PM

Why not to buy Asus prime Z270 series?
8GPU work stability
leave skylake or kabylake or low C/P MSI z170 z270  along...
sjkelleyjr (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 09:59:30 PM

@chancoin why am I getting power to it then? The power button pins are even raising and lowering voltage as if to indicate a blinking LED.  I would expect nothing to work.  I've got it on the padding it shipped with and that's on a plastic bin.  I also have hardwood in my apartment.  Admittedly, I don't have an anti-static strap though.

@k98s I've never built a miner before so I picked equipment that seemed to be a community standard in case I ran into any issues, so I could get help (like right now).  I will look into it for future mining rigs though.

I just checked w/ ebay and I have until August to do the return.  So I think I'll try the 6th gen CPU first, then do the return if it still isn't working.  But I think @chancoin might be right about the fried board.

btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 10:19:46 PM

@chancoin why am I getting power to it then? The power button pins are even raising and lowering voltage as if to indicate a blinking LED.  I would expect nothing to work.  I've got it on the padding it shipped with and that's on a plastic bin.  I also have hardwood in my apartment.  Admittedly, I don't have an anti-static strap though.

@k98s I've never built a miner before so I picked equipment that seemed to be a community standard in case I ran into any issues, so I could get help (like right now).  I will look into it for future mining rigs though.

I just checked w/ ebay and I have until August to do the return.  So I think I'll try the 6th gen CPU first, then do the return if it still isn't working.  But I think @chancoin might be right about the fried board.

Try the 6th gen cpu and see what happens...it is possible you got a bad board, it does happen from time to time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: