Bitcoin Forum
September 02, 2024, 09:20:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about wallets and Bitcoin storage  (Read 556 times)
ghostbtc (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 03:14:56 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2017, 05:34:48 PM by Mitchell

I have like 18 hours+ logged in already I hardly post as I love to read read read and guess what? Read some more researching. And before I did sign up here I spent 3 weeks reading most of the threads and posts etc.

Anyways I been reading these forums I did want to get a BTC card but most of these companies are promising at first then late on they don't reply no more, the first 3 to 8 months are GREAT! Then the replies stop by the thread starters, and we all know how that goes. BTC not there, accounts locked, etc. I've read it and heard it all already.

Anyways I did sign up with coinbase as they had the best rate and it was taking over 7 or 10 days to get verified with my credit card so I started to use google and landed on here. After I read what some people had to deal with. I just said screw it and removed my credit card from coinbase. Even some members who sell BTC here on the site got locked or account frozen. Sad

So e-wallets are not trusted as they are just a 3rd party to hold your BTC and not really safe. I been reading and found out the paper print out of BTC and TREZOR are the safest way to go. As you can't get locked from Paper print outs (I didn't find anyone who did). Also Trezor seems promising as they are a cold storage for offline and awesome security for it I seen countless hours on youtube for all of this.

My question is. Has anyone ever had problems with Trezor with a frozen account? I don't really trust any e-wallets. Once I'd get btc one day I'd trasfer it to a Trezor in a heart beat. As some websites go down, others lock you out. Even verified members had this problem with e-wallets. The only e-wallet I'd trust as of right now from reading was blockchain.info from reading feedback from everyone here.

So my question is for cold offline storage. Trezor how good is it?

Thank you so much for the feedback ahead of time and if this is in the wrong section, sorry.

Thanks for reading.

MOD NOTE: Changed topic title to be more clear
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2017, 03:35:26 PM

If you have a problem using the hardware Trezor wallet with their online wallet (which you shouldn't, given that you bought their product and trust it) then you could alternatively connect it to a Electrum wallet. Electrum is an offline wallet though it has less privacy and security than for example Bitcoin Core because you don't run your own node. (iirc, correct me if I'm wrong)

And as for e-wallets, just don't. Control your own private keys by using an offline wallet of your own volition. There's plenty available.

xskl0

Activity: 378
Merit: 260

Bitcoin SV is Bitcoin

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 03:47:02 PM

I never tested Trezor but Ledger Nano S works pretty well and is cheaper than Trezor.

BUY / SELL bitcoins  --->  https://bit2me.com/?r=ryOV8xZNb
ghostbtc (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 05:43:41 PM

If you have a problem using the hardware Trezor wallet with their online wallet (which you shouldn't, given that you bought their product and trust it) then you could alternatively connect it to a Electrum wallet. Electrum is an offline wallet though it has less privacy and security than for example Bitcoin Core because you don't run your own node. (iirc, correct me if I'm wrong)

And as for e-wallets, just don't. Control your own private keys by using an offline wallet of your own volition. There's plenty available.
Oh crap something new learned.  I just liked the Trezor it had features if you had lost it and you could get back the BTC stored on it.

Would you say the Trezor is a safe way to go for offline wallet from exp that you know?

Thank you so much for the reply.
ghostbtc (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 05:51:51 PM

I never tested Trezor but Ledger Nano S works pretty well and is cheaper than Trezor.

Yeah not a big fan of cheap stuff. I believe in the "you get what you pay for" I seen a video on both + a 3rd one the keepkey review. I'd really go with the most popular one and a bit more higher price due to the feature of if you lose it you can recover it part. And it had another feature for sending.

Also to any mods I don't know how to reply for 2 different people in one post I'm new. I don't really do forums online really.
Cean

Activity: 807
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 05:59:13 PM

Go for Copay: You can use this just like an e-wallet thanks to multi-sig feature which allows you to control the same wallet via multiple devices/access.
This is also useful when you forgot to backup or write down necessary stuff, you would still have another access to the wallet. (If you've joined the wallet though. That's important!) Life-saving stuff, indeed Cheesy

Or go for original Android application.

These are both light-weight and secure. Once you correctly backed up and write down the stuff, you're good.

Also to any mods I don't know how to reply for 2 different people in one post I'm new. I don't really do forums online really.

While writing a post, just scroll down and press on Insert Quote button to quote the post you wish.
http://prntscr.com/fqrmfr
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2017, 10:31:50 PM

Oh crap something new learned.  I just liked the Trezor it had features if you had lost it and you could get back the BTC stored on it.

Would you say the Trezor is a safe way to go for offline wallet from exp that you know?

Trezor and Ledger alike are good hardware choices for wallets but that's only if you care seriously about security. If you practice good Internet security and are careful about your online presence then you should be fine wtih using a simple desktop offline wallet unless we're talking about high numbers of bitcoins. Then, I would recommend a hardware wallet (and/or cold storage where you store most of your funds for safety).

Here's some code for you to copy with: edit your first post as not to double post.
Code:
[quote author=actmyname link=topic=1997745.msg19896151#msg19896151 date=1499009726]

[hr]

And as for e-wallets, just don't. Control your [b]own[/b] private keys by using an offline wallet of your own volition. There's [url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=37.0]plenty available.[/url]
[/quote]Oh crap something new learned.  I just liked the Trezor it had features if you had lost it and you could get back the BTC stored on it.

[quote author=xskl0 link=topic=1997745.msg19896320#msg19896320 date=1499010422]
[/quote]

Yeah not a big fan of cheap stuff. I believe in the "you get what you pay for" I seen a video on both + a 3rd one the keepkey review. I'd really go with the most popular one and a bit more higher price due to the feature of if you lose it you can recover it part. And it had another feature for sending.

ghostbtc (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 01:42:51 AM

Go for Copay: You can use this just like an e-wallet thanks to multi-sig feature which allows you to control the same wallet via multiple devices/access.
This is also useful when you forgot to backup or write down necessary stuff, you would still have another access to the wallet. (If you've joined the wallet though. That's important!) Life-saving stuff, indeed Cheesy

Or go for original Android application.

These are both light-weight and secure. Once you correctly backed up and write down the stuff, you're good.

While writing a post, just scroll down and press on Insert Quote button to quote the post you wish.
http://prntscr.com/fqrmfr

Thank you I'll look into it. I'm not really a big fan of having a wallet on the cell phone as they get lost/stolen/broken so that's a big no no. I don't trust any kind of apps on the phone that might leak information and so on. It's just a huge risk too me. It's like people who add their credit card on the phone, along with nude pictures, it's like you just asking for it.  Oh and those people who place car/home devices to start the car or open up the house. Just a big no no! Why even risk it?

And about the quote I can't find that button as you stated. Sad

---------------------
actmyname - I can't seem to make it work so I'll do it like this. Sorry about that. Just got up a little while ago. I do want to get the Trezor for security. The Copay looks kind of good but kinda eh. I'm not looking to have it shared on cell phone, PC etc. Due to hacking of any kind of keyloggers you never know what is out there right? I am pretty safe. Also I got myself a laptop a while back and it does crash on me maybe once or twice a year. God forbid the hard drive goes one day so why risk it? Best to get a cold storage. I've read too many stories. $100 will save you $1000's in the end. Don't risk it I say.

Thank you for the information. Sorry I couldn't do the double quote replies like everyone else. Sad I might ask a mod for step by step here soon.
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:36:37 PM

You can just use bitcoin core wallet(though a little buggy/laggy). There is probably a more stable version to download than the current one.

But anyways, you would create multiple backups of the wallet, you control it all. Don't leave your coins sitting on an exchange unless you want to trade back and forth between other currencies on a daily basis. That is the only reason to leave them on an exchange or website, and even then you should probably transfer your coins back(unless you have a sell order or buy order in that you want filled).

Make 4 or 5 backups on multiple devices, secure your passphrase and you are all set.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:58:04 PM

yes. the whole point is that your private keys are always locked away. no one can access your coins via the internet.

a well put together paper wallet is very secure but not very handy if you want to transact with your bitcoins. a hardware wallet is the most secure solution for a usable bitcoin wallet.

i have a ledger nano s and it's great.
borishaifa

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 02:09:51 AM

I have been still reading - not less than an hour a day - for two years already. If you don't want to be disappointed you should read as much and as long as it is possible.
ghostbtc (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 06:27:19 AM

iluvpie60 - Thank you very much for this info. That is good stuff.

European CB - Thank you yes I'm thinking of doing that route as well.

borishaifa - Trust me I am ready non-stop on PC and phone many times a day.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: