Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 08:32:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Altcoins the new "Penny Stocks" ? Will they take over Wall Street?  (Read 4283 times)
BTCwriter
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 12:22:41 PM

Yes, I think altcoins are like penny stocks but more risky and also high reward.
befrank

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 01:02:54 PM

I agree. They behave very much like penny-stocks.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:45:16 PM

I agree. They behave very much like penny-stocks.

Which is a very bad thing when they are SUPPOSE to be a digital currency.

You all say this for failed currencies..

FUD first & ask questions later™
daniel244king (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 105

ALTCOIN KING

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 10:06:41 PM

In 2013 the fear was that the high number of altcoins being developed would kill cryptocurrency as a whole - by devaluing Bitcoin and Litecoin by sheer volume.

We see now in 2017 that all it did was create a new "Stock Market" with hundreds of "Penny Coins" for investors to choose from.  

As an investment, most of these altcoins have just as good liquidity as Bitcoin.  Most of the smaller exchanges offer altcoin liquidity through Dogecoin - which does an average of 2.2 Million dollars worth of volume on the Poloniex exchange alone; with an spread of a fraction of a penny I might add.

THE KING OF COINS
vuvanle120

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

"Highest ROI crypto infrastructure"

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 02:17:38 AM

I think they are more valuable then penny stocks. I think many of these top alt coins are about to disrupt the industry they serve. Only time will tell.

nicolas1979

Activity: 826
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 02:26:59 AM

There are over a thousand companies and stocks listed on major U.S stock exchanges.  Despite tech giants like Apple (APPLE) and Google (ALPHABET) having near trillion dollar valuations, its has not taken away from the other approx 20,000 other stocks sold on various exchanges:

https://www.quora.com/How-many-publicly-traded-companies-are-in-the-world.

There are only only approx 900 Altcoins in the world compared to 20,000 U.S stocks.  

Bitcoin (BTC) has a valuation of approx $40 Billion USD but smaller Altcoins like FOOTYCASH (FOOT)  and Tatoocoin Limited Edition (TLE) have seen 5000% increases in the past week.

Are Altcoins becoming the new penny stocks?

For me altcoin is much better than " new penny stocks ", it's changed alternative payment and investment platform becomes more challenge and profitable. Altcoin maybe can't replace currency as major investment but coins are not penny stocks. You can see their price action, volume that's sometimes become reason why we choose altcoin as an investment. Don't loose faith about altcoin but never replace your money on wrong coin, you'll lose anyway. Good luck.

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 02:46:17 AM

many have called altcoin market as Penny Stocks over the years and i kinda agree with them too but i also find a big difference between the two markets.
in Penny Stocks market, it is my understanding that you trade shares of real companies so there is some reality to it. there is a physical company that is doing something. there are jobs, employees, money going in an out, ...

but in altcoins you are trading mostly "tokens" and these are mostly virtual not real. granted there is the similar blockchain technology behind bitcoin and altcoins but the differentiating factor is usefulness. when there is absolute zero usage for most altcoins and nearly no usage for the rest then they become virtual tokens changing hand.

Actually, the idea that penny stocks are "real companies" is a myth...
Most penny stocks involve promoters + lawyers building a super-complex financial structure and then selling you a "good story".

It's the "good story" that matters. There is nothing else.

At least alts have real value as a network re: Metcalfe's Law...
There must be at least 500,000 people globally addicted to the zero sum game of crypto at this point...
These networks have real value just like Facebook did before it had any revenue.

You may see a little correction in the short term...
But the total value will explode as various "bridges" come on stream to facilitate cross-chain atomic tx.
SenSeiSoKo

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 03:14:37 AM

Not all but most of  Cool  Tongue !
WoodySpoon

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 03:53:14 AM

It's really hard to compare the two, of course shorters will exist in any market, so pumps and dumps aren't all that uncommon. The cryptomarket and ICO's in particular are still in infant stages, so volatility and giant gains and winners will be commonplace until the market starts to establish.

ICO's are good for the economy as it'll attract investment from different areas to new projects bringing more eyes to the market, bringing hopefully more players. Of course at the same time these can be used as scams relatively easy, so it is a double edged sword.

daniel244king (OP)

ALTCOIN KING

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 01:05:54 AM

So what does this mean?  

Are a high number of altcoins a good thing?

What about the value of one coin affecting the rest?

Do you see "Market Sectors" emerging with altcoins?  If so, what sectors would there be? and what sector would Bitcoin fit in?  

I know one sector that would emerge for my favorite coin "FootyCash" (FOOT) : the Sports Sector!

THE KING OF COINS
BMG86

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 01:20:56 AM

Yup, I always though of most of these altcoins very similiar to penny stocks. You can make huge gains if you play your cards right
Haesoo

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 01:28:08 AM

The only difference is it's much easier to create an altcoin.
It cost you almost nothing and there're no regulations at all.

I'm guessing that in a few years we'll have more altcoins than penny stocks....

Not at all brother.
Some altcoins have future and survive then become a penny stocks but some might die and some are shitcoins.
Yes its easier to make altcoin but the question is this will have worth or can be listed in exchanges like bittrex and liqui.io? Include the fact that penny stocks and altcoins are a lot different like penny stocks are real while altcoin is virtual. Virtual that can be just real if it converted to fiat.
daniel244king (OP)

ALTCOIN KING

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 03:17:27 AM

Think about the future.

These coins are going to become major economies.  Just like Yahoo and AOL at the begining of the DOT.COM boom, when the internet was just starting to gain mass adoption.

1. Companies are going to start buyouts of these currencies.

2. Any "Shitcoin" can be forked and made into the best most innovative cryptocurrency.  Massive buyouts of these "shitcoins" will become the norm.

3. Forced Government adoption - We already see that happening now.  Just look at the IRS and the Coinbase fiasco.

4. Enjoy your freedom now because cryptocurrencies will be traded on the Forex Market, and on Wall Street - all regulated by the SEC.

THE KING OF COINS
daniel244king (OP)

ALTCOIN KING

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 03:26:10 AM

oh and don't forget:

5. Billion dollar IPOs of cryptocurrency exchanges: Cryptopia, Poloniex, Coinbase, Bitfinex, etc...

THE KING OF COINS
chip1994

Activity: 868
Merit: 251

HEX: Longer pays better

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 03:56:46 AM

The only difference is it's much easier to create an altcoin.
It cost you almost nothing and there're no regulations at all.

I'm guessing that in a few years we'll have more altcoins than penny stocks....

Not at all brother.
Some altcoins have future and survive then become a penny stocks but some might die and some are shitcoins.
Yes its easier to make altcoin but the question is this will have worth or can be listed in exchanges like bittrex and liqui.io? Include the fact that penny stocks and altcoins are a lot different like penny stocks are real while altcoin is virtual. Virtual that can be just real if it converted to fiat.
But you see in present have very more ICOs, they are call for capital with some roadmap as Stocks, they know ICOs not as IPO, not have rules at now and very easy for scam (can't listing to exchange site, the price lowest than crowdsale, ...)

████████████████████
       ██████████████████████
      ████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████
    ████████████████████████████
   ████               ▀██████████
  ████  ██████████████  ██████████
████  ████████████████  ██████████▄
████  ██████████████████  █████████▀
██  ████████████████████  ███████
    ███          █████████  █████
   ███  ███████   ███████  █████