Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 08:32:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WHERE do you mine...? As in.. the garage.. a commercial unit etc?  (Read 1131 times)
couture (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 09:54:23 PM

Just wondering where people tend to have their rigs set up, how much they pay, and what your pros and cons are?

For example - I currently have a bunch of baikal cubes and a gpu rig set up in the garage - and I have another batch of gpus on preorder (whenever they arrive)

I pay zero for ground rent - only pay for electrical supply at standard domestic rates

Pros - it's free, nearby and secure

Cons - it's noisy and hot as shit and isn't big enough to support growth

My plan is to find a small commercial unit to rent but this is a bit of a bummer as I'd have to slosh out ground rent each month - it would of course afford me more space for growth and maybe some cooler temps but it's another cost to bear

Interested to get a feel for what others in the mining world do..?

Thanks as always:)
jpoker272727
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 10:00:10 PM

Just wondering where people tend to have their rigs set up, how much they pay, and what your pros and cons are?

For example - I currently have a bunch of baikal cubes and a gpu rig set up in the garage - and I have another batch of gpus on preorder (whenever they arrive)

I pay zero for ground rent - only pay for electrical supply at standard domestic rates

Pros - it's free, nearby and secure

Cons - it's noisy and hot as shit and isn't big enough to support growth

My plan is to find a small commercial unit to rent but this is a bit of a bummer as I'd have to slosh out ground rent each month - it would of course afford me more space for growth and maybe some cooler temps but it's another cost to bear

Interested to get a feel for what others in the mining world do..?

Thanks as always:)

I mine in the next room where there is nobody and isn't being used for anything else except storing some food as there is cold.

But since I have put my rig there I can't leave things there because the room is getting hot and hot so I have to open the door time to time to release the heat that these GPUs are creating.

$0.1 is the electricity and I think that at the moment it worth mining but the epoch is making me unconfrotable because it is affecting the hashrate a lot.
iamnoobplzhelp

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 10:00:55 PM

I have my setup in the garage.

My parents have a mostly empty storage area and a full 200amp panel that they aren't using. I was planning on setting up some stuff there, but now cards are impossible to find. Zero rent, but I will help pay for electricity, obvously.
HugoPT

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 11:01:42 PM

Small comercial that i rent with friends.

We split the rent by the number of rigs in our space and electricity depends on each rig costs.
YIz

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 11:03:38 PM

In my room, I always have AC on in the summer so might as well mine there.
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 02:23:18 AM

We renovated a dedicated mining room out in our barn to house my wife's small mining farm (~10 rigs), so most of the rigs are out there right now. Space is free of course, just have to pay for the electricity bill increase. We have a couple of rigs in the house and may add more in the future (probably not this year) if the market stays at a feasible profit level.
JungleOnion

Activity: 868
Merit: 279

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 02:30:53 AM

I am mining in a normal aired room, but also been thinking, depending on the growth and most important stability of profits, I will consider moving out and renting a place dedicated to mining and why not weed growing haha, but first you need to know if the profits you are getting will be sustainable, your strategy to keep mining the most profitable and making sure you also bet in some undervalue coins so the less fixed constant expenses you get your rigs responsible of, the more you have to diversify and hold some coins for future growth.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 03:32:23 AM

SoCal Edison don't even think about it I pay $0.32 at my house and it's $0.088 for commercial electricity so the commercial spot basically pays for itself.
couture (OP)

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 02:36:35 PM

SoCal Edison don't even think about it I pay $0.32 at my house and it's $0.088 for commercial electricity so the commercial spot basically pays for itself.

Oh wow that is savage! Am I right in thinking that cali's energy prices are all thanks to Enron messing everything up??

I think I'm gonna go small commercial as my garage is just too noisy now :/
talkingdreams

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 05:25:58 PM

I currently use the garage since it is 5 degrees cooler then in the house. Also they are pretty loud.
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:01:48 PM

Basement...it's mostly underground, so it's always the coldest place in the house...at my old place; it was freezing downstairs in winter, the miners made it warm and livable.

BUT, I do have a warehouse I use for other purposes, I'm thinking about moving some miners there...but it's hot now with no AC (or heat), typical industrial warehouse.
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:02:24 PM

In a large shop, it is as big as a commercial building.

No rent as it is paid for on our land.

Disadvantage is the residential power rates.
Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:41:33 PM

I suppose that as everyone else I started mining at home, with a couple rigs.
But due to space limitations and energy prices I moved to a commercial space.

I would have rent the space anyway for other reasons, so I do not consider rent as an extra cost, but I pay for internet and increased power lines.
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:48:33 PM

I suppose that as everyone else I started mining at home, with a couple rigs.
But due to space limitations and energy prices I moved to a commercial space.

I would have rent the space anyway for other reasons, so I do not consider rent as an extra cost, but I pay for internet and increased power lines.

Who is you ISP and how much is it?
sonnykaran

Activity: 68
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:55:19 PM

Mining in Arizona.  sucks. The electric cost is .09cents but have to have the AC running 24/7 cause of the heat.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:35:45 PM

I spent years mining in my home.
Currently I have a small "shop/warehouse" type space.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
ahmedjamal1998

Activity: 728
Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 10:39:22 PM

I recently started mining.
I'm mining in my own room since I have AC on for most of the time in summer.

Electricity cost is pretty good as well about $0.05 kw/h or 0.08
There is also an empty appartment that my family owns which is not used by anybody.
If this mining project needs an expansion, I might use it.

It's really exciting. (Yes I was told multiple times that I could earn more just by buying the coins but I've liked the experience so far Cheesy )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: