Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:45:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig won't boot, PSU making clicking noise.  (Read 638 times)
JungleOnion (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 279

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 01:53:16 AM

guys, I had 4 gpu's running in a rig I upgraded the psu so I could plug 6 gpu's and now that I try to turn on the system, it won't boot. The psu makes a clicking noise everytime I press the rig's power button. Did I unplugged something wrong from the previous psu? I have an external dvd/cd usb attached to the mobo, that and the power button turn on so could it still be the mobo or is it something else I'm not plugging in right? I re-plug every single connection, sata cables, pci-e, cpu, power and nothing, I even replug the old psu and that one is doing the same thing when I try to turn on the rig instead of making a beeping noise like new psu, it makes a buzzing short noise. Any help appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1234ms

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:04:34 AM

The PSU is turning itself off due to a problem in its power supply or in its output. Check if the rating of your psu is enough to power your rig.
If it is an EVGA psu remove all the VGA, CPU and SATA cables from the PSU and attach the EVGA tester to the motherboard cable. If the PSU fan spins reconnect the cables to the motherboard, GPU`S and CPU. I`ve  had similar problems in the past doing this normally solves the problem. It is also advisable to have a surge protector before your PSU.     
JungleOnion (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 06:23:11 AM

I have a corsair ax1200 its stronger that the previous PSU I have, I'll try to do that hope it works. I just want to make sure each part works and I didn't fried anything.
carlfebz2

Activity: 2926
Merit: 727

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 07:07:44 AM

guys, I had 4 gpu's running in a rig I upgraded the psu so I could plug 6 gpu's and now that I try to turn on the system, it won't boot. The psu makes a clicking noise everytime I press the rig's power button. Did I unplugged something wrong from the previous psu? I have an external dvd/cd usb attached to the mobo, that and the power button turn on so could it still be the mobo or is it something else I'm not plugging in right? I re-plug every single connection, sata cables, pci-e, cpu, power and nothing, I even replug the old psu and that one is doing the same thing when I try to turn on the rig instead of making a beeping noise like new psu, it makes a buzzing short noise. Any help appreciated.
Quiet curious since you have just been upgraded the PSU, Are you sure you did connect the right connections similar to the older set-up? The PSU isn't the main problem here even though it make clicking sounds I agree on what been suggested above, try to plugged and unplugged some components you will actually see what causes the problem.
Please do give feedback if what happen.
JungleOnion (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 08:35:18 PM

Quiet curious since you have just been upgraded the PSU, Are you sure you did connect the right connections similar to the older set-up? The PSU isn't the main problem here even though it make clicking sounds I agree on what been suggested above, try to plugged and unplugged some components you will actually see what causes the problem.
Please do give feedback if what happen.

Well thanks, yeah i have all atx, sata, pci-e, cpu connections all plugged in correctly. I'll do it again even tho I re-plugged all cables yesterday and nothing. I already tried just powering the cpu the mobo and one gpu and still nothing, I have another mobo that I tried to turn on too just the mobo, cpu and gpu and nothing either, that is what keeps my hopes up that is just a cable connection problem.
Firekiller

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:47:07 PM

Is it an Enermax one?
Clicking noise at least on Enermax shows that there is a short somewhere on the system and psu protects it by not starting it up.
If thats the case do not try to boot without pcie cables on the cards. That way if there is a shot there the psu wont be able to detect it (cause they are connected via mobo and not to psu directly)
JungleOnion (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 10:25:25 PM

Is it an Enermax one?
Clicking noise at least on Enermax shows that there is a short somewhere on the system and psu protects it by not starting it up.
If thats the case do not try to boot without pcie cables on the cards. That way if there is a shot there the psu wont be able to detect it (cause they are connected via mobo and not to psu directly)
Well all cards are connected through pci-e risers. its a corsair ax1200i and I just found out that its the gpu connections, maybe the risers, maybe the cables, maybe the slot? because when I just plug the mobo and cpu, the psu and mobo turns on fine.
I'll try connecting one card directly to the pci-e 16x slot in the mobo to see if its any problem with the riser or cables, if the problem persists, its going to be the slot port right? because I will try it with a new gpu.
Firekiller

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:43:26 PM

Is it an Enermax one?
Well all cards are connected through pci-e risers. its a corsair ax1200i and I just found out that its the gpu connections, maybe the risers, maybe the cables, maybe the slot? because when I just plug the mobo and cpu, the psu and mobo turns on fine.
I'll try connecting one card directly to the pci-e 16x slot in the mobo to see if its any problem with the riser or cables, if the problem persists, its going to be the slot port right? because I will try it with a new gpu.

I would guess that one of the cards is shorting somewhere. Best case would be to install them one by one like you would do on a normal pc. Always have them connected to the PSU via their 8pin/6pin. That way the PSU can detect if there is a short and it wont power up (what it does now).

If one card doesn't boot and replicates the issue then this card is shorted.
If none of the cards does that then its one of the risers.
JungleOnion (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2017, 12:27:54 AM

I detected today what is the problem, I was using those 15 pin sata to 6 pin sata cables from the previous psu in the new psu and for some reason the psu wouldn't turn on using those cables, but when I use the same set but the ones that came with the new psu, now they work. The problem is is, that I had 4 of those cables with the previous psu, one gpu connected to each, (because each cable has like 4 sata connections), this new psu only comes with 3 of those, I have to connect now 2 gpu's in each cable, and windows nor claymore detects 3 of them not the 6 now.
Oklawolf

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:47:04 AM

Never assume the cables from an old PSU will work with a new one. Much of the time they won't, and if the unit doesn't have the protection this unit did, you'll burn parts up.
JungleOnion (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2017, 02:14:33 AM

Ok guys I finally solved the problem, and it was indeed that I was using some sata cables from the old PSU in the new one and that was preventing the PSU to turn on, I only used cables provided with the new psu and the rig turned on, turned out I had 6 gpu's plugged in and there was only 2 detected, it was the nvidia drivers that I installed to try an nvidia gpu as troubleshoot. i uninstalled the drivers and the rx 580's where up and running.

One little problem still, the system and the miner detects the 6 gpu's but it mines only with 5, any ideas why is this happening? I'll look up in the forum I bet other people have had this problem but any help is appreciated. Thanks guys also for helping me figure out the psu.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: