Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:45:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is going on? Trading volume is so low!  (Read 6991 times)
Questing (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:50:56 AM

What is going on? Trading volume is so low!
And by the way, the Australian government has announced it is thinking about printing more AUS dollars, to devalue its currency. But that's off topic. Please let us know your opinion, why is trading volume at an all time low?
ask
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:00:32 AM

No one wants to buy so high. Price will drop. Unfortunatelly I am a bull at higher levels... Sad
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:03:31 AM

No one wants to buy so high. Price will drop. Unfortunatelly I am a bull at higher levels... Sad

so high? hahaha Smiley

Questing (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:11:18 AM

Yes, I understand your feeling, and I concur. I'd rather buy Bitcoin at $50. But in very recent history, stacks of people spent plus US$120 on bitcoin, and not long before that US$160. So now its US$110, why is volume so low?

Questing (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:15:14 AM

so high? hahaha Smiley

I'll pass the joint around!
But seriously, how do you guys decide when to buy or sell?
ask
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:18:42 AM

Hope that you are right and that is the reason. But I think that you are wrong... Sad
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:25:47 AM

Low volume is because we are reaching a tipping point. Both buyers and sellers are on hold. There are two options:

a) consolidation phase, plus steady and sustainable growth (no more bubbling for now)
b) bear market, slow and deep decline (as per 2011)

Anyhow, depth on both sides of the order book is big and healthy. ATM sellers are placing asks and not dumping, buyers are placing bids and not making market orders.

We will see where we are heading at very soon. I say give 70% chances to consolidation phase; 30% chances for bear market.

Questing (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:36:25 AM

There are bank holidays here in a few countries in Europe this week. It was a bank holiday on Monday in Ireland (and I think UK) and is a bank holiday today in Netherlands.

Thank you. Glad I asked the question. I had no idea Europe was on holiday, myself being in Oz. I assume it wasn't just the banks on holiday?
And by the way, you have beautiful eyes. Smart and gorgeous. 
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 10:36:45 AM

The MtGox API has also been having issues this morning, was down for hours.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:37:15 AM

When volumes are low, manipulators can draw whatever price they like. Why don't they do it? It's boring...

Questing (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:43:05 AM

Low volume is because we are reaching a tipping point. Both buyers and sellers are on hold. There are two options:

a) consolidation phase, plus steady and sustainable growth (no more bubbling for now)

Anyhow, depth on both sides of the order book is big and healthy. ATM sellers are placing asks and not dumping, buyers are placing bids and not making market orders.

We will see where we are heading at very soon. I say give 70% chances to consolidation phase; 30% chances for bear market.

This guy knows what he's talking about! I'm new to day trading, but I know enough to agree with you. Any tips for beginners? Letting the rest of us know about it can only make Bitcoin stronger?
ManBearPig

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 10:48:43 AM

Yes it certainly has dropped off but the fact the price is settling just about in 3 figures is broadly positive as I see it.

A slow fall from here on in would not spell disaster but would certainly expedite the next wave of speculation.

Take a look at the big picture, here on the all-time weekly chart (close prices, log scale).

A few things to note about 2013 with 2011: the run-up was less steep, the sell-off was less intense, and we've settled into a mid-term price quicker at a point relatively higher.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:01:16 AM

This guy knows what he's talking about! I'm new to day trading, but I know enough to agree with you. Any tips for beginners? Letting the rest of us know about it can only make Bitcoin stronger?

I can give you a personal advice which has nothing to do with daytrading or technical analysis.

In this game you get the big prize if you have strong hands - hold on your BTC. If you are sure that you can increase both your fiat profits and your BTC stash daytrading, go ahead and do it. But most of people is delusional, they see their fiat growing and they think they are excellent daytraders, but the truth is that they are slowly decreasing their BTC stash. If BTC develops at its full potential, they just missed the real thing.

Then, bare in mind that BTC is a high risk asset, thus invest only what you can afford to lose. Otherwise you will make mistakes driven by emotions.

My personal strategy is the following: build you BTC stash with the spare cash you have. Have some fiat hanging around at the exchange so you can buy more coins in flash crahses, dips and dumps. And go for the long run.

Is you are more interested in daytrading, only advice is to plan your strategy in advance and stick to it. Don't panic, don't be greedy. Respect what you have established as entry and exit points. Emotions are your worst enemy.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 11:07:14 AM

Is you are more interested in daytrading, only advice is to plan your strategy in advance and stick to it. Don't panic, don't be greedy. Respect what you have established as entry and exit points. Emotions are your worst enemy.

This is good advice - although I would also recommend being careful about just how much cash/BTC you leave on any exchange (too many have crashed and burned).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:44:21 AM

Bought my first Bitcoin today, only 0.2BTC but it's still a contribution Smiley

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
Questing (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:53:44 AM

Yes it certainly has dropped off but the fact the price is settling just about in 3 figures is broadly positive as I see it.

A slow fall from here on in would not spell disaster but would certainly expedite the next wave of speculation.

Take a look at the big picture, here on the all-time weekly chart (close prices, log scale).

A few things to note about 2013 with 2011: the run-up was less steep, the sell-off was less intense, and we've settled into a mid-term price quicker at a point relatively higher.

Thank you for the chart, and for sharing your opinion. Personally, I think your spot on the money. I cant help but be excited by the prospects of btc. Might just keep growing and change the world. I think btc have become my hoby 
Prattler

Activity: 192

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:54:53 AM

I think people got carried away with trading.

Past month we've been doing 100 kBTC / day volumes. That's ~1% total bitcoin supply traded each day. This is not low volume, it's crazy high volume!

We should come back to 20 kBTC/day volumes and it would be ok.

Questing (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 11:55:18 AM

Bought my first Bitcoin today, only 0.2BTC but it's still a contribution Smiley

Welcome to the club. Its great to have you aboard
Questing (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:20:42 PM

I can give you a personal advice which has nothing to do with daytrading or technical analysis.

In this game you get the big prize if you have strong hands - hold on your BTC. If you are sure that you can increase both your fiat profits and your BTC stash daytrading, go ahead and do it. But most of people is delusional, they see their fiat growing and they think they are excellent daytraders, but the truth is that they are slowly decreasing their BTC stash. If BTC develops at its full potential, they just missed the real thing.

Then, bare in mind that BTC is a high risk asset, thus invest only what you can afford to lose. Otherwise you will make mistakes driven by emotions.

My personal strategy is the following: build you BTC stash with the spare cash you have. Have some fiat hanging around at the exchange so you can buy more coins in flash crahses, dips and dumps. And go for the long run.

Yes I agree, and thanks again.
I like the idea of day trading and increasing the size of my btc stash. At the moment, my bet is on btc for the longer term.
I run my parents business, and am fed up with banks and gov bureaucracy. They are draining the life blood out of my parents business, and my parents are to unwell to fight against them. So its been left up to me, and I'm fed up with their indifference. And banks and gov are not even aware of the trouble they cause. 
btc in my mind, is a big step towards making the world a more honest place. Take the fate of my parents, and myself out of their hands please.

What do you think of the MACD graph? Shore bet to increase my btc holdings? the graphs look consistent?
Questing (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:27:35 PM

I think people got carried away with trading.

Past month we've been doing 100 kBTC / day volumes. That's ~1% total bitcoin supply traded each day. This is not low volume, it's crazy high volume!

We should come back to 20 kBTC/day volumes and it would be ok.

You make a good point.
As a usefull currency, it would be handy if the speculation would fall off. But it looks like day trading is unavoidable, and going to be part of its evolution. My guess is it will smooth out when more people climb aboard the bitcoin train. When btc's equals the GDP of a small country, the ride might get a little smoother
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: