Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:57:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much ETH and/or ETC can I mine with a single GTX 1080?  (Read 1173 times)
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 11:34:05 AM

I was wondering if I could use my gaming PC to mine either ETH or ETC.

Could anyone help me with an estimate of how much of each I could mine per week/month/etc?

Would I be able to use the PC at all while it is mining?

Thanks

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 12:38:50 PM

Based on numerous online sources, a GTX 1080 will give you about 23MH/s hashrate on ETH.
According to https://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency/coins/ethereum that's $2.71 daily in ETH without accounting for the power costs.
Keep in mind that ETH's price is extremely volatile and should increase in the future as it grows.
Ahead

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

IT Solutions Architect

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 01:04:04 PM

Could anyone help me with an estimate of how much of each I could mine per week/month/etc?

Thanks

For profit calculator (estimated) try one of the following (or both):

https://www.nicehash.com/?p=calc
https://whattomine.com/

You can use your PC while it is mining (for light stuff like browse the web, read e-mails, etc) but you cannot play games (since the GPU is used at 100% for mining)

Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 08:36:10 AM

Thank you both... how did you figure out that I get  23MH/s?

Based on numerous online sources, a GTX 1080 will give you about 23MH/s hashrate on ETH.
According to https://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency/coins/ethereum that's $2.71 daily in ETH without accounting for the power costs.
Keep in mind that ETH's price is extremely volatile and should increase in the future as it grows.

$2.7/day is actually a bit better than I thought. What about for ETC?

Or is ETH the more profitable coin to mine right now?

Thanks

You can use your PC while it is mining (for light stuff like browse the web, read e-mails, etc) but you cannot play games (since the GPU is used at 100% for mining)

Thanks for the links and info. Do you know if mining will damage the GPU?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
daniweb

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 08:43:41 AM

with 1070 you get 27 MHs for 1 gpu
with 1080 you get 31 MHs for 1 gpu
all these are without overclocking
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2017, 09:15:56 AM

there is no way , you or anyone else on this forum can calculating your mining income.
Forum members, or any mining calculator site can give you a rough estimate, but that estimate is just for one day , as difficulty grow , your mining income going to be lower day by day , week by week .
If the mined coin / fiat exchange rate is going up , difficulty is not changing you might generating more income/day .
It really depends on the mined coin / fiat exchange rate , difficulty , how much u paying for electricity .
Before you start mining make sure you know how much you are paying for electricity included all taxes and fees .

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
burdeN

Activity: 364
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 09:29:13 AM

Thank you both... how did you figure out that I get  23MH/s?

$2.7/day is actually a bit better than I thought. What about for ETC?

Or is ETH the more profitable coin to mine right now?

Thanks

Thanks for the links and info. Do you know if mining will damage the GPU?
there are lots of info in the web, for example: http://mininghwcomparison.com/list/index.php?brand=both
Pendularin

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 10:33:04 AM

It is better to mine ZEC.
RamaLo

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 11:54:58 AM

I have a GTX 1080 and I have mined ZEC (EWBF) until now (hashrate around 480-500 Sol/s)... however, the OC must be quite aggressive and the temperatures are north of 70C.
Now I moved to ETH (ethminer) and with the GPU downclocked -400 and the memory OC +600 I get 23.5 MH/s with the temps around 62C.

There's a big difference between these numbers - ZEC:3.64 USD/day, ETH: 2.67 USD/day (according whattomine), but I prefer lower temperatures and noise.

However I found out that both ewbf and ethminer let you play games - the hashrates, however, will go down drastically to about 50% during gaming time.

As for 31 MH/s - ETH, I assume - for GTX1080, there must be a mistake, there's no way to get there!
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 01:49:07 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2017, 02:22:25 PM by Vann

No you don't. The best you can get out of a 1080 on ETH is ~25 MH/s because of the GDDR5X ram it uses. Mining ETH with a 1080 is a waste since you can make >50% more profit mining ZEC. The 1070 uses GDDR5 ram and does much better than a 1080 for ETH mining, ~30-31 MH/s on ETH.
grchina

Activity: 476
Merit: 278

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:13:50 PM

Idc how you are getting those numbers i get 1-3 mhs per card with 1080 and 1080 ti...
hell696969

Activity: 55
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:20:27 PM

Idc how you are getting those numbers i get 1-3 mhs per card with 1080 and 1080 ti...
my 1060 3gb gets 23 mh/s
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 05:34:11 PM

I have a GTX 1080 and I have mined ZEC (EWBF) until now (hashrate around 480-500 Sol/s)... however, the OC must be quite aggressive and the temperatures are north of 70C.
Now I moved to ETH (ethminer) and with the GPU downclocked -400 and the memory OC +600 I get 23.5 MH/s with the temps around 62C.

There's a big difference between these numbers - ZEC:3.64 USD/day, ETH: 2.67 USD/day (according whattomine), but I prefer lower temperatures and noise.

However I found out that both ewbf and ethminer let you play games - the hashrates, however, will go down drastically to about 50% during gaming time.

As for 31 MH/s - ETH, I assume - for GTX1080, there must be a mistake, there's no way to get there!

It is better to mine ZEC.

Lol at cryptocompare.com it's saying I'll be making $147K/day mining ZEC with 23MHs LOL!!! No way this can be right... I'm still so confused on how you figure out what MHs you get per GPU, and it seems like it's totally different for each currency.

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/zec?HashingPower=21&HashingUnit=MH%2Fs&PowerConsumption=200&CostPerkWh=0.12

Can anyone tell me how much I'll get with a single AMD Radeon RX 570 (on ETH, ETC, XMR, ZEC, SC) ? If I get two of these cards is it safe to double the MHs as an estimate?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
modzer0

Activity: 41

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:12:27 PM

Lol at cryptocompare.com it's saying I'll be making $147K/day mining ZEC with 23MHs LOL!!! No way this can be right... I'm still so confused on how you figure out what MHs you get per GPU, and it seems like it's totally different for each currency.

It is different for each algorithm. The algorithms are completely different, so the same card will perform differently with different algorithms. ETH uses ethash, ZEC uses equihash. My 1080 gets ~560 sols on equihash, and around 22 MH on ethash. Ethash is very dependent on memory speed, and the 1080 sucks because of the type of memory it uses. My 1070s get 32 MH on ETH.

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/zec?HashingPower=21&HashingUnit=MH%2Fs&PowerConsumption=200&CostPerkWh=0.12

Can anyone tell me how much I'll get with a single AMD Radeon RX 570 (on ETH, ETC, XMR, ZEC, SC) ? If I get two of these cards is it safe to double the MHs as an estimate?

It depends on the exact card. I get ~26 MH on my 570s after modding the BIOS. Some people get as high as 28-29. Actually one of my cards gets just below 26, and one just above, even though they are identical cards. It depends on the quality of the chips used, type of memory used, etc... not all cards and components are exactly equal. There is a lot of variation.

A card should get the same hashrates for coins using the same algorithm, for the most part. ETH and ETC both use ethash, so you should get the same (but you'll mine more ETC than ETH because ETC's difficulty is way lower). If you Google for things like "RX 570 zcash hashrate" you'll find benchmarks and reports from people. There are a number of such lists that are regularly updated - I don't have the URLs handy, but they are easily found if you search.

Hope this helps some.
Heimer

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:27:17 PM

@Dafar - 32MH/s = 32 000H/s and you'll probably have "only" 500h/s
goccat

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:28:02 PM

FWIW I can dual mine (though I do not) on my 1080s @ ~24mhash eth +~720mhash dcr
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: