Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:53:15 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitaddress.org for Paper Wallet  (Read 521 times)
saintt (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 11:50:53 AM

Hi,

I used bitaddress.org offline to create a address and private key, however I am worried I have done something wrong.

After generating the address and private key, I simply printed out what was show on screen, however I think I should have clicked 'Paper Wallet' and done it this way?

Is their any difference?

Thanks
lizardbtc

Activity: 448
Merit: 109

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 11:56:44 AM

There should be any difference if you have successfully printed out the QR code and the text of your private and public keys. IN case you used like "Single Wallet" option. Thing with "Paper Wallet" is that option provides you with the unique look for your paper wallet but it's purpose is the same : it provides you with a private key and with a public address. You could try to generate the address from the private key and make sure that you have done it right.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 5032

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 11:58:39 AM

Hi,

I used bitaddress.org offline to create a address and private key, however I am worried I have done something wrong.

After generating the address and private key, I simply printed out what was show on screen, however I think I should have clicked 'Paper Wallet' and done it this way?

Is their any difference?

Thanks

You didn't do anything wrong, however, the first private key generated after you inserted enough entropy (moved around with your mouse) is NOT BIP38 encrypted.
I would strongly advise to insert entropy, click on paper wallet, enable bip38 encryption, insert a STRONG password and generate new private keys!!!

A paper wallet without bip38 encryption can be swept/imported by anybody that finds your paper wallet, be it your spouse, your cleaning lady or the burglar that finds it while robbing you...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 12:46:09 PM

Hi,

Is their any difference?

Thanks
No there is no difference and you are good to go. If you printed the 1st wallet that you saw then it is fine as long as you can see the public address and also the private key clearly so you can have no problem when you deposited some bitcoin in it. There is no difference because the paper wallet is just a designed paper wallet.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 01:01:10 PM

if
... you downloaded bitaddress.org source code from its real source shown at the bottom of the screen (https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org)
... you are sure it is authentic. meaning checked the signature (never done this myself!)
... you are sure your computer has been clean meaning always offline before and has nothing bad installed

then it doesn't matter which one you printed. the first page saying Single wallet is enough. the green text saying SHARE is showing your bitcoin address (Starting with 1) and you can share it to receive payments. the red text saying SECRET is showing your private key (starting with either L or K) this is what you need to protect.
the paper wallet tab is the same information with a pretty design.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
saintt (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 01:15:25 PM

Thanks for the replys.
layoutph

Activity: 1386
Merit: 255

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 01:30:41 PM

Never heard bitaddress.org, is this like MyEtherWallet.com for ETH?? Is this safe? I am using Electrum and Bitcoincore for Windows. I think this is much safer.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 5032

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 01:32:34 PM

Never heard bitaddress.org, is this like MyEtherWallet.com for ETH??
No
myetherwallet.com = an online wallet = unsafe (imho)
bitaddress.org = a paper wallet generator = safe (if used correctly)

Is this safe?
Yes

I am using Electrum and Bitcoincore for Windows. I think this is much safer.
No, if a paper wallet is generated correctly, and a strong password is chosen for BIP38 encryption, it should be much safer than a desktop wallet like electrum or core (imho).
Offcourse, if you didn't use bip38 encryption, or you used an infected PC to generate your paper wallet, it's not safe.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████