Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:01:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you have a fire suppression system ?  (Read 755 times)
btcgolong (OP)

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:45:16 PM

Do you have a fire suppression system?

Mine is keep anything flammable away from the rigs, give them space...not much of a system.

What have to done to deal with chance of a fire?

Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:56:23 PM

Do you have a fire suppression system?

Mine is keep anything flammable away from the rigs, give them space...not much of a system.

What have to done to deal with chance of a fire?

I keep some extinguishers near by. I really doubt anyone here has a dedicated fire suppression system. Of course you need a smoke alarm near the rigs.

The datacenter at my work uses Novec 1230 gas but that is far beyond the means of a hobbiest. Although, it would be the best type of suppression system since you'd lose the least amount of hardware.

A water based system would be nearly as bad as every card going up in flames, I guess you could use pure demineralized water but not sure how feasible that is. A water based system can ruin a house to the point it needs to be destroyed as well (mold).
JustCauseBIH

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 07:04:20 PM

Im thinking same. Is there some cheap but at least usable system for home Smiley?
macsheadroom

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Computer Service Tech

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 07:14:20 PM

I have placed these directly above and on my equipment.

https://www.amazon.com/Extinguisher-Suppression-Device-Safety-Product/dp/B01JVXFQ6E

1FQkmrwQ7yf9MKGLsAUhY2jgMT8WjepwL7
ltcsprite

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:36:06 PM

Looking into these myself.  Would these even be effective on an electrical fire? Edit: Yes they are rated for Class C(electrical fires)

http://www.htgsupply.com/products/the-watch-dog-automatic-fire-extinguisher-2-kg

http://www.htgsupply.com/products/the-watch-dog-automatic-fire-extinguisher-6-kg

http://www.htgsupply.com/products/the-watch-dog-automatic-fire-extinguisher-12-kg

akuci

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:46:51 PM

I think anyone who have unmonitored rigs must invest in fire suppression and prevention.

I have standalone power circuits just for my rigs, a fuse box with a fuse for every rig, and a main fuse, so if something happens there will be still power in my house. Also I have air conditioning to keep everything cool and safe, and it's running on a separtate wire, so if the main fuse kicks out, there will still be cooling, and the room will not heat up. About fire prevention, there is a smart smoke detector with a siren, and I get a notification on my phone if there is smoke. Also the room is clean, just my rigs and stuff, away from my house a bit, so if my rigs catch fire, it will not spread on my house.
btcgolong (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 11:10:07 PM

Thanks for pointing those out, good to know.
Blake_Last

Activity: 518
Merit: 278

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:09:54 AM

I have two mining rigs and they are plugged into the extension cord with a heat sensing alarm. So if it gets excessively hot, it alerts me through repeated sound and flashing of its light. The extension cord that I use is called SmartCord Safety 3-Outlet Extension Power Cord w/ Heat-Sensing Alarm. You can buy it on Amazon for $9.99. Other than that, I have a small sprinkler attached to the wall facing my mining rigs. If it detects smoke, it immediately discharges water from it sprinkler.

grape_tectonics

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:22:38 AM

my fire suppression system is the farm standing on a concrete floor surrounded by concrete walls, even if the whole thing went up like it was made of gasoline, it wouldn't really matter
akuci

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:23:20 AM

I have two mining rigs and they are plugged into the extension cord with a heat sensing alarm. So if it gets excessively hot, it alerts me through repeated sound and flashing of its light. The extension cord that I use is called SmartCord Safety 3-Outlet Extension Power Cord w/ Heat-Sensing Alarm. You can buy it on Amazon for $9.99. Other than that, I have a small sprinkler attached to the wall facing my mining rigs. If it detects smoke, it immediately discharges water from it sprinkler.
Water on your rigs, really?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:50:57 AM

Even though we all worry. Its actually VERY RARE for a massive fire to start.

With so many people mining right now around the world, very rarely you hear of someone burning down a house.

Usually a riser can melt and it crashes the GPU which crashes the rig. Or a GPU vrm melts and shorts out the PSU and it turns off.

I think the Bitmain Antminer's were more fire prone or the KNC Neptunes with melting PCIe connectors.

btcgolong (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 10:08:40 PM

Even though we all worry. Its actually VERY RARE for a massive fire to start.

With so many people mining right now around the world, very rarely you hear of someone burning down a house.

Usually a riser can melt and it crashes the GPU which crashes the rig. Or a GPU vrm melts and shorts out the PSU and it turns off.

I think the Bitmain Antminer's were more fire prone or the KNC Neptunes with melting PCIe connectors.

Seems like if you just keep your miners away from anything flammable (curtains, clothes, etc) you should be okay, but I like some of the suggestions in this thread, esp. the fireballs
btcgolong (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 04:19:48 PM

Are you using the stand?

On Amazon, someone mentioned the fireball stand can be mounted on the ceiling or wall, is that correct?

Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: