Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:57:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 9 GPUs in Windows ok, but Miner won't start  (Read 2808 times)
ESJai

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

I Mine Anything and Everything!

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 10:56:11 PM

Windows 10 only supports up to 8 unless you mix up Nvidia and AMDs. If you want 8+, go with Linux
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mensa84 (OP)

Activity: 184
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 04:40:12 AM

Which Linux distro does support more than 8 NVIDIA GPUs?

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
heavyarms1912

Activity: 729
Merit: 114

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 01:48:17 AM

Windows 10 only supports up to 8 unless you mix up Nvidia and AMDs. If you want 8+, go with Linux

This might be correct.  Anyways I have 9 gpus working on Win 10.  AMD+Nvidia cards.

cod3gen

Activity: 311
Merit: 69

PowerMining.pw

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2017, 01:35:01 PM

Im currently running SMOS(find it in another thread here on the forums) with 11 Nvidia GPU`s. Its is based on Ubuntu, costs 2usd each month - Works very good, i recommend using it.

https://www.powermining.pw ⮚ Hit us with your power while mining for over 30 listed coinz in various algorithms! Get in touch on Discord: https://discord.gg/qSV6b9d
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 05:33:58 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2017, 06:29:43 PM by deadsix

Hi,

my rig (Asus Prime Z270-A + MSI 1060) works well, when booting up with 8 GPUs (using 1 M.2 -> PCIe adapter).
When booting up with 9 GPUs (using 2 M.2 -> PCIe adapter) the 9 cards appear correctly in Windows 10 64 Bit (8 GB RAM), but miner (tried Claymore and ethminer) won't start.

See the pics. Do you have any plan, why it doesn't work with 9 GPUs? I heard, that one can't use GPUs in both M.2 slots of the Asus Prime Z270-A, but Windows discovered both GPUs correctly:

OP can you please try using half the cards in Claymore, and the rest in another miner?

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
dacutey1023

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:04:20 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2017, 08:17:03 PM by dacutey1023

I have 9 GPU working but is a Mix of 8 RX 580 and 1 GTX 1070, I can add more GTX 1070 but zero RX 580 because  windows 10 only supports 8 of each Nvidiai + AMD mix as far as I know.

The fact that you can see 9 of the Nvidia on device manger with no error is good start since we always see some type of error when adding more then 8 of the same.  

Have you try with claymore 10 ?

xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2017, 07:27:04 PM

max supported gpu for win is 8 gpu if im not mistaken, anything more than 8 go linux.

WRONG Smiley

to set up any rig with 12 gpu its easy with the right motherboard , you must to have 6 nvidia and 6 AMD cards , this way the 12 cards setup under widows can not be a problem , really easy to set up . if you want 16 cards it is still possible under windows (10) but might be PITA (pain in the ass) to set up , but once the right configuration is set , you are ready to go Smiley i have both 12 cards setup and 16 cards setup running without any problem under win 10 enterprise edition Smiley amd cards are with custom bios , latest blockchain driver , driver patch , nvidia cards overclocked/ undervolted with software Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
deadsix

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 09:01:52 PM

max supported gpu for win is 8 gpu if im not mistaken, anything more than 8 go linux.

WRONG Smiley

to set up any rig with 12 gpu its easy with the right motherboard , you must to have 6 nvidia and 6 AMD cards , this way the 12 cards setup under widows can not be a problem , really easy to set up . if you want 16 cards it is still possible under windows (10) but might be PITA (pain in the ass) to set up , but once the right configuration is set , you are ready to go Smiley i have both 12 cards setup and 16 cards setup running without any problem under win 10 enterprise edition Smiley amd cards are with custom bios , latest blockchain driver , driver patch , nvidia cards overclocked/ undervolted with software Smiley

Hes not wrong, max 8 GPU is what windows officially supports at the driver level for each unique driver. So 8 GPU's that can run off of AMD drivers, and 8 GPU's that can run off of Nvidia drivers. If there was a third co, we could add 8 more, but the max is still 8.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2017, 09:06:25 PM

you are WRONG too Smiley
I tried to run 10 amd cards under windows and worked fine Smiley
do you have any experience building rigs ? modding bioses ( modding , not just changing mem staps) , modding mobo bioses )
or just reading articles about what possible and what not  Grin
its really pita to set up , not a real plug and play solution Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
deadsix

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 09:53:01 PM

you are WRONG too Smiley
do you have any experience building rigs ? modding bioses ( modding , not just changing mem staps) , modding mobo bioses )

Show us pics then, of 10 AMD cards mining under windows, if you have achieved it. If you dont have pics, then stfu and crawl back to your hole of ignorance.

dacutey1023

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 11:54:06 PM

you are WRONG too Smiley
Can you share some pictures of your miner running 10 AMD on windows 10 ? I would love to see that.
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2017, 04:35:28 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2017, 05:37:29 AM by xxcsu

you are WRONG too Smiley

Show us pics then, of 10 AMD cards mining under windows, if you have achieved it. If you dont have pics, then stfu and crawl back to your hole of ignorance.

Grin i dont think i need to prove anything for ppl like you  Grin
  Grin "stfu and crawl back to your hole of ignorance"  Grin
that is what you should do right now... if you asking me on the nice way i would be happy to post some picture as i always did when i posted something on this forum , but never going to share how i did it Smiley
im not the only one who built a mining rig with 10 cards under windows Smiley

Not to long ago when many of us was running a 8 card setup without any problem , anyone was able to buy a 8 cards setup miner computers from a forum member here on the forum , this is what you said about any 8 cards setup ...
Yeah ... good luck running 8 GPU's on one motherboard.
Times changed , you learned a lot in the past few months , now you think 10 cards setup (same kind ) is impossible Smiley JUST WAIT ANOTHER 6  MONTHS , BY THEN YOU MIGHT GOING TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN DO 10 CARDS SETUP EASY Grin Grin Grin

EDUCATE YOURSELF , LEARN TO SPEAK ,  ASK NICELY , THEN YOU GOING TO GET ANSWERS AND PICTURES , BUT TILL YOU CAN NOT ARCHIVE ALL THIS I CAN NOT SAY ANYTHING TO YOU , JUST WHAT YOU SAID TO ME : "stfu and crawl back to your hole of ignorance"

HINT  Grin Cheesy Wink Roll Eyes
as you can see in the first post , 9 cards showing up under windows device manager , its actually 10 cards (incl itel hd 510), so windows ok with the cards , but the miner program is not ... think strong Smiley why windows ok with 9 cards ( the same kind ), working fine , no error under device manager but the miner program is not running fine ? Go to the details deeper , you might can find the answer  Grin  ( did you see the "hole of ignorance" )  Grin

Hi,

my rig (Asus Prime Z270-A + MSI 1060) works well, when booting up with 8 GPUs (using 1 M.2 -> PCIe adapter).
When booting up with 9 GPUs (using 2 M.2 -> PCIe adapter) the 9 cards appear correctly in Windows 10 64 Bit (8 GB RAM), but miner (tried Claymore and ethminer) won't start.

See the pics. Do you have any plan, why it doesn't work with 9 GPUs? I heard, that one can't use GPUs in both M.2 slots of the Asus Prime Z270-A, but Windows discovered both GPUs correctly:

deadsix

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 08:04:54 AM

if you asking me on the nice way i would be happy to post some picture as i always did when i posted something on this forum , but never going to share how i did it Smiley

Says EVERYONE who has nothing to back his/her claim, forget how you did it, you cant even share pics of the result, and expect to be believed ...

Times changed , you learned a lot in the past few months , now you think 10 cards setup (same kind ) is impossible Smiley JUST WAIT ANOTHER 6  MONTHS , BY THEN YOU MIGHT GOING TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN DO 10 CARDS SETUP EASY Grin Grin Grin

True, I lived, I learned. Till then the only people who were successfully running more than 7 cards were doing so on modded bios'es on Z97 motherboards. h81 or h85 boards did not support more than 7, Then came the Z1xx series which was a disaster for mining, but with proper bios mods the Z170's could support 8 as well. But the real change came with the Z2xx series when everyone and their mum could run 8 cards easy.
I learned from people who had actually done the 8 card setups and could demonstrate/prove it, so that changed my attitude towards the max no of cards.

HINT  Grin Cheesy Wink Roll Eyes
as you can see in the first post , 9 cards showing up under windows device manager , its actually 10 cards (incl itel hd 510), so windows ok with the cards , but the miner program is not ... think strong Smiley why windows ok with 9 cards ( the same kind ), working fine , no error under device manager but the miner program is not running fine ? Go to the details deeper , you might can find the answer  Grin  ( did you see the "hole of ignorance" )  Grin

Yes windows can see 9, 10 even 11 GPU's in my testing, but they will not work with any GPU intensive program, so the maximum usable cards is 8. More than that and the system crashes.
But ill leave you with a nugget, get in touch with jstenfanop on these forums and hell "Educate" you on max GPU limits, what you can and cant do etc. And next time when someone asks for proof, show up or shut up.

xxcsu

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2017, 09:51:55 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2017, 10:28:34 AM by xxcsu

Yeah ... good luck running 8 GPU's on one motherboard.

Grin be patient my friend, dont be mad or angry just bc you dont know , dont understand something  Grin your time will come ... few more months and you will see the light again ... just like you saw the lights after 6 months about how 8 gpu can work with one mobo  Grin

soon you are going to post something like you did in another topic about that 8 gpu and one mobo few months ago Smiley just be patient and learn about new things  , dont refuse something just bc you think its can not be done Smiley give yourself a few more months , (in your case you might need a year , last time is take you 4 months ) , be nice with another forum members  Grin

I take my words back. I now have several Z270 boards that run 8 cards. Also have ordered the Biostar 12 card board.

HINT:
If you already have Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ or BIOSTAR TB250-BTC PRO  you have better chance to find out how is that 10 gpu (amd or nvidia) build can be done  with windows 10 enterprise ( let me help you a little bit , its a 2016 LTSB ) Grin

I learned from people who had actually done the 8 card setups and could demonstrate/prove it, so that changed my attitude towards the max no of cards.
To me looks like you changed your attitude after finally you was able to run 8 cards , not bc another ppl demonstrated/proved  , but bc another members helped you to archive that Grin
I take my words back. I now have several Z270 boards that run 8 cards. Also have ordered the Biostar 12 card board.

deadsix

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 02:07:30 PM

Grin be patient my friend, dont be mad or angry just bc you dont know , dont understand something  Grin your time will come ... few more months and you will see the light again ... just like you saw the lights after 6 months about how 8 gpu can work with one mobo  Grin

Another post without any proof of any of your claims, or without any substance. You really dont have anything better to do, do you?

posternat

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 02:29:31 PM

Where's the logs from the miner? That is where your info is. They will tell you exactly what the software is seeing and reporting. No one cares what the device manager and task manager say, and the mining software is not using verbose, so you have nothing to show us. We need the logs, and you will likely not even need us once you look there and see the software telling you exactly what is wrong.
phundred

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 02:32:13 PM

HINT:
If you already have Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ or BIOSTAR TB250-BTC PRO  you have better chance to find out how is that 10 gpu (amd or nvidia) build can be done  with windows 10 enterprise ( let me help you a little bit , its a 2016 LTSB ) Grin

Oh I see, luckily I read through every single comment in this post, and really appreciate of your hint. Seems like new windows version supports more than 8 GPU, anyone know what is the max?
farmtester1

Activity: 54

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 03:45:16 PM

AsRock motherboards seem to be good for mining in general. Even very old boards with 4 or 5 slots can do 8 cards just fine by using the correct PCI-e slot multipliers. Now, I wouldn't doubt about this guy's claim that it's possible to run more than 8 Nvidia cards. Maybe someone who really wants it can put a bounty up somewhere to make a bios modification for his motherboard to unlock the maximum of 8 cards.
makomako

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

altcom Aa4DWXQjrcEA8gPBLkx6t9VgCuWoCo1myE

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 12:39:55 AM

Windows can support only 8 cards of one brand. simple as that

dave4925

Activity: 134
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 12:53:13 AM

looks like windows limits to a total of 8 gpu units.  Go linux!

1BTcdaveJEX8SrLb62YSLY7r3W9P8XQYBN
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: