Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 03:22:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: using mix of rx580 cards from various vendors in rig  (Read 513 times)
bierfest (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 01:23:18 PM

Hi,
Just want to do a quick sanity check before spending cash.

So I'm building a 6GPU 8GB rig to mine Ether on EthOS. Im going to use RX580 cards.

As cards are very difficult to find I think I am going to have to use RX580s from various manufacturers such as
  • SAPPHIRE Pulse Radeon RX 580 8G GDDR5
  • MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8 GB GDDR5
  • ASUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB GDDR5 PCI
  • XFX RX-580 P8DBRR GTR Radeon RX 580 8GB

They all have slightly different clock speeds but I think that they should all play nicely together in my rig. However would like a quick sanity check. Has anybody else done this without problems?

Thanks!
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 01:25:06 PM

Hi,
Just want to do a quick sanity check before spending cash.

So I'm building a 6GPU 8GB rig to mine Ether on EthOS. Im going to use RX580 cards.

As cards are very difficult to find I think I am going to have to use RX580s from various manufacturers such as
  • SAPPHIRE Pulse Radeon RX 580 8G GDDR5
  • MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8 GB GDDR5
  • ASUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB GDDR5 PCI
  • XFX RX-580 P8DBRR GTR Radeon RX 580 8GB

They all have slightly different clock speeds but I think that they should all play nicely together in my rig. However would like a quick sanity check. Has anybody else done this without problems?

Thanks!
You won't have any issues whatsoever, but you will have to be twice as careful when flashing BIOSes.
Go ahead with the purchase.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 01:30:41 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2017, 03:24:41 PM by Vann

I haven't had any issue mixing Asus and Powercolor RX 4XX/5XX cards in a rig. I also have a MSI 1080 on the same rig. You need to configure the overclock settings separately, as the stock clocks are too high for mining and each card will need different settings. I use MSI Afterburner and that works resonably well. I did have a problem adding a XFX RX 580 Black Crimson card. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to mine for more than 30 seconds, so I had to return it. If you mod the Bios, you may need to patch the signature check anytime you install or update the drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAiScXPisAY

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 10:22:03 PM

All the same GPU and the same RAM speed, should be zero issues as long as you mind the temps on each and BIOS mod them one at a time.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
bierfest (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 11:15:18 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of good info here.

I hadnt actually thought about
1. flashing the bios
2. setting clock speeds

Is it the case that in essence the rig should work as is albeit not at the best efficiencies and that points 1 & 2 above are best executed once the rig is fully tested and then needs to be optimized?

Thanks!!
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 03:19:58 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of good info here.

I hadnt actually thought about
1. flashing the bios
2. setting clock speeds

Is it the case that in essence the rig should work as is albeit not at the best efficiencies and that points 1 & 2 above are best executed once the rig is fully tested and then needs to be optimized?

Thanks!!

All cards will be able to attain the maximum efficiency possible for every card, mixing has nothing to do with it.
There's also not much testing to do, if they boot then they work. After that just mod/flash the BIOSes, being careful not to flash a BIOS on the wrong card, though you can easily recover it since you have multiple cards.
Itsjo

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:34:59 AM

Hi I have an issue with adding an MSI 570 with a few sapphire 580's. I had the sapphires running at 31 mhs each but when I added the MSI they all dropped towards 20. I updated the bios one by one with only one plugged in at a time and got them to 30+ each. When I plugged all 5 in, only the brand the HDMI plugged into would mine. E.g. if I plugged my HDMI into the MSI, only the MSI would mine. But if I plugged the HDMI into one of the sapphires, only the 4 sapphires would mine..
mshordja

Activity: 146
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 10:34:22 AM

its not a problem , i have different GPU , 570, 580 with different manufacture, and i am happy with them, only you have to manually add all the frequence if you use claymore for every card.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: