Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:22:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alt coin mining on macbook pro i7?  (Read 2392 times)
bradbrad (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:36:41 PM

Guys, I'm thinking of trying to mine some alt coins on my macbook pro (late 2013) retina i7 before I invest in actual hardware... What would you suggest in terms of coins, software, and pools... Not expecting to mine a massive amount of coins or profit much... just want to get some coins to see the process and if viable. BUT... also don't want to kill my macbook haha... any advice would be great! Thanks guys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bradbrad (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:41:02 PM

And before any spammers pick this up... not interested in cloud mining...
fk1

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:42:30 PM

not worth it. you would most likely kill your macbook.
Golftech

Activity: 2128
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:52:31 PM

you can try nicehash and minergate and see if you will gain some  btc. but for me, i won't stake my laptop just to earned some dust bitcoin better to buy and invest than messing up with my device, those two mining tools that I've provided are the most common use tools here in my country so better to check that OP.
bradbrad (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 06:27:46 PM

OK, that is pretty much what I've gathered from a few other places too... So, to my next question:

Should I mine Bytecoin or Litecoin (please no other recommendations)?

AND, what exactly do I need to do so. TBH I don't really care about ROI off the bat... I just want to build up my coin count. Do I have to buy a pre-made (and probably over-priced) rig, or can I build it myself (I have alot of friends in the hardware industry). If so, what exactly should I be looking at?
bradbrad (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 06:29:34 PM

you can try nicehash and minergate and see if you will gain some  btc. but for me, i won't stake my laptop just to earned some dust bitcoin better to buy and invest than messing up with my device, those two mining tools that I've provided are the most common use tools here in my country so better to check that OP.

Thanks, I looked into minergate briefly, but left striaght after seeing the could reference... which I've gathered from the forums is a 9/10 a scam. Will look into nicehash but like I said not wanting to do cloud mining... Obv dont mind pool mining though
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 06:37:30 PM

OK, that is pretty much what I've gathered from a few other places too... So, to my next question:

AND, what exactly do I need to do so. TBH I don't really care about ROI off the bat... I just want to build up my coin count. Do I have to buy a pre-made (and probably over-priced) rig, or can I build it myself (I have alot of friends in the hardware industry). If so, what exactly should I be looking at?

You can buy your own parts and build the rig yourself however most parts are sold out. GPUs, Motherboards, Risers, etc.

They are sold out due to huge demand kind of like the same reason why you are wanting to get involved in mining.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
bradbrad (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 06:44:20 PM

You can buy your own parts and build the rig yourself however most parts are sold out. GPUs, Motherboards, Risers, etc.

They are sold out due to huge demand kind of like the same reason why you are wanting to get involved in mining.

Thanks man, me and BTC been buddies since 2012  Smiley but looking into investing into the mining aspect (tbh probably for litecoin) now. Is there anyway you can breakdown exactly what it is I will need so I can start looking into sourcing the parts? Or give me a link where I can find out more info?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 07:00:09 PM

Thanks man, me and BTC been buddies since 2012  Smiley but looking into investing into the mining aspect (tbh probably for litecoin) now. Is there anyway you can breakdown exactly what it is I will need so I can start looking into sourcing the parts? Or give me a link where I can find out more info?

Find out what is in stock first and then see if its compatible. If there is a certain motherboard in stock that you can get, search this thread and see if it will work with 6+ GPUs.

Right now only GPUs you can buy is Nvidia 1060/1070/1080.

Another issue you might have is with USB Risers. The factories are not producing them fast enough so the prices have been inflated  and especially if you are trying to buy domestically.

Everything else should be easy to source.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██