Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:09:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Government Regulation owns Bitcoin  (Read 3219 times)
puffpuffpass (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

I'm nobody.

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:00:05 PM

Damn. You're right. Guess I'll sell now... or maybe I'll just check that ignore button.  Grin

Actually you gave me an idea. I shall try to ignore all jr and sr members and most of hero members too. All the donators and VIPs go on ignore for sure and not being unignored under any circumstances, maybe with one or two exceptions.

Then maybe unignore a few if they are quoted saying something worthwhile. Who knows, it could make this board at least resemble what it was a few years back. Would it work?

Seems to me like an endless blacklisting war.  Here's how I look at it.  When newbies come in they always bring up the same concerns over and over.  They either learn about bitcoin and mature or they leave.  Threads like this, and the general childish tone the board has taken on recently are an indicator of new users who are trying to understand it.  These are the people that can be won.  Not because we want to sell it to them, but because when they find the answers to their questions, they understand the magnitude of what they have stumbled on.  When the board is peaceful again, you'll know we've mostly assimilated or rejected the current wave exposure driven newbies.

I'm not exactly new to Bitcoin. Heard about it and have been following it since late 2011. I'm not saying I'm the smartest person. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems the childish ones are the ones who are creating this imaginative "bear" that has the sole purpose of causing you to sell your Bitcoins for no logical reason at all. Yea, because, that makes so much sense.

I have a bitcoin address that anyone can send BTC too, so I'm going to post it
on my sig because I think someone is going to randomly give me their BTC:
1D37qouguK5rNh1mSZDocgVCvA2rxsAgLp Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:01:32 PM

The problem isn't newbies floundering around with their questions, it's newbies (and some non-newbs) who simply don't form their arguments but jump to conclusions without consideration. Or they engage in sophistry, grabbing at straws, etc. It is a matter of the caliber of the thinker and how much thought they are willing to put in, or if they just want to make some easy money.

The classic example is a newbie asserting a conclusion with no real argument and acting like they did present an argument.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:01:48 PM

Damn. You're right. Guess I'll sell now... or maybe I'll just check that ignore button.  Grin

Actually you gave me an idea. I shall try to ignore all jr and sr members and most of hero members too. All the donators and VIPs go on ignore for sure and not being unignored under any circumstances, maybe with one or two exceptions.

Then maybe unignore a few if they are quoted saying something worthwhile. Who knows, it could make this board at least resemble what it was a few years back. Would it work?

Seems to me like an endless blacklisting war.  Here's how I look at it.  When newbies come in they always bring up the same concerns over and over.  They either learn about bitcoin and mature or they leave.  Threads like this, and the general childish tone the board has taken on recently are an indicator of new users who are trying to understand it.  These are the people that can be won.  Not because we want to sell it to them, but because when they find the answers to their questions, they understand the magnitude of what they have stumbled on.  When the board is peaceful again, you'll know we've mostly assimilated or rejected the current wave exposure driven newbies.

I'm not exactly new to Bitcoin. Heard about it and have been following it since late 2011. I'm not saying I'm the smartest person. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems the childish ones are the ones who are creating this imaginative "bear" that has the sole purpose of causing you to sell your Bitcoins for no logical reason at all. Yea, because, that makes so much sense.

So, you're complaining about bearish posts by starting a thread saying bitcoin will be worthless?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:03:06 PM

The problem isn't newbies floundering around with their questions, it's newbies (and some non-newbs) who simply don't form their arguments but jump to conclusions without consideration. Or they engage in sophistry, grabbing at straws, etc. It is a matter of the caliber of the thinker and how much though they are willing to put in, or if they just want to make some easy money.

Good points.  Easy money doesn't exist, so those who chase it will find themselves lost in the wilderness.

Edit: Unless you are a government or central bank Wink.  But fiat doesn't really fit the definition of money.

ManBearPig

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:04:50 PM

Well, Bitcoin had a good run. Ultimately, big government stands in the way of self-governance and that comes in the form of regulating ingenuity to death. The majority of people are indoctrinated and cannot see the value in this evolved payment system.

Who can disagree? Bitcoin is fucked.

You disappoint me.

Noob account, doom and gloom post subject but you failed on point 3: all caps.

Try again.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
puffpuffpass (OP)

I'm nobody.

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:08:54 PM

So, you're complaining about bearish posts by starting a thread saying bitcoin will be worthless?

no, I'm saying it's silly that every user critical of anything related to Bitcoin is called a bear who's only purpose in life is to make you sell your bitcoins. I'm mocking at the attempt to pass that off as a logical collective perspective, and then they proceed to line up to ignore such users. what it really seems like is it's the other way around, YOU are the ones looking for "easy money" and are here collectively trolling/bullying anyone who HAS used their brain and come to a reasonable conclusion that can be stated in a few short sentences, because it just so happens to be a simple observation.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:09:27 PM

Nah, it wouldn't. Basically, when it comes to the forums, we're fucked.  Grin

Seriously, the more exposure Bitcoin gets, the more people become interested in it. And since most people are either unintelligent or inarticulate, this forum is doomed.

Get it, puffpuffpass? That's how one presents a reasoned argument  Cheesy
puffpuffpass (OP)

I'm nobody.

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:13:26 PM

Nah, it wouldn't. Basically, when it comes to the forums, we're fucked.  Grin

Seriously, the more exposure Bitcoin gets, the more people become interested in it. And since most people are either unintelligent or inarticulate, this forum is doomed.

Get it, puffpuffpass? That's how one presents a reasoned argument  Cheesy

you have your ways of doing things, I have my ways of doing things. who's being the child between the two? you

notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:19:26 PM

no, I'm saying it's silly that every user critical of anything related to Bitcoin is called a bear who's only purpose in life is to make you sell your bitcoins. I'm mocking at the attempt to pass that off as a logical collective perspective, and then they proceed to line up to ignore such users. what it really seems like is it's the other way around, YOU are the ones looking for "easy money" and are here collectively trolling/bullying anyone who HAS used their brain and come to a reasonable conclusion that can be stated in a few short sentences, because it just so happens to be a simple observation.

Thank you for clarifying.  I had not interpreted your previous statement properly.

As for you actual point, you are in the speculation subforum.  When you post here, people assume you are trying to share your view on price action.  Perhaps try bitcoin discussion if you want to actually discuss government regulation.

crumbcake

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:20:35 PM

Seems to me like an endless blacklisting war.  Here's how I look at it.  When newbies come in they always bring up the same concerns over and over.  They either learn about bitcoin and mature or they leave.  [...]
In English, "or" can be both inclusive ("Would you like sugar or cream in your coffee?  Yes, both please!") and exclusive ("turn left or right").  So i'd agree with you if you left out the word "either." Embarrassed
notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:29:08 PM

Seems to me like an endless blacklisting war.  Here's how I look at it.  When newbies come in they always bring up the same concerns over and over.  They either learn about bitcoin and mature or they leave.  [...]
In English, "or" can be both inclusive ("Would you like sugar or cream in your coffee?  Yes, both please!") and exclusive ("turn left or right").  So i'd agree with you if you left out the word "either." Embarrassed

I meant exclusive or, because I was speaking from the POV of using forum posts as an indicator.  If they leave, you have no data, so I don't care what they think about bitcoin if they leave.  You are correct that it does make a difference in the general sense, but that is much harder to measure.

[sarcasm]
Thank you for the English lesson.  I've only been speaking the language for 26 years.  Also, I appreciate the logic lesson.  I've only been programming computers for 14 years so I'm sure there is still more to learn about basic logical operators.
[/sarcasm]

michaelGedi

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:02:22 PM

I can't believe I just read this thread!

what a load of shit...

someone posts a totally un-backed piece of opinion and a whole thread develops around it. He even has the balls to insult people who dislike the OP because he apparently posted something of value.

At least I got to read about the general declining quality of posts in the forum from some older hands... because I didn't see that already Smiley

I apologise on behalf of the other newbies, they know not what they do

TRADE FOREX, STOCKS AND COMMODITIES without the paperwork with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/m/r.php?i=3589

1BROKER has been around since 2012 and is going strong
crumbcake

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:14:27 PM

I meant exclusive or, because I was speaking from the POV of using forum posts as an indicator.  If they leave, you have no data, so I don't care what they think about bitcoin if they leave.  You are correct that it does make a difference in the general sense, but that is much harder to measure.

[sarcasm]
Thank you for the English lesson.  I've only been speaking the language for 26 years.  Also, I appreciate the logic lesson.  I've only been programming computers for 14 years so I'm sure there is still more to learn about basic logical operators.
[/sarcasm]

Teaching.  Thankless task at best, and I'm giving up.  Pearls before ... Oh, i'll cast a few more, why not? Here we go: 

If you absolutely must use sarcasm, don't couch it between tags & sh1t it up!

The smart kids will get it anyway, the others ... well, the others will respond with [sarcasm][/sarcasm].
Now i go. Sad
puffpuffpass (OP)

I'm nobody.

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:21:46 PM

I can't believe I just read this thread!

what a load of shit...

someone posts a totally un-backed piece of opinion and a whole thread develops around it. He even has the balls to insult people who dislike the OP because he apparently posted something of value.

At least I got to read about the general declining quality of posts in the forum from some older hands... because I didn't see that already Smiley

I apologise on behalf of the other newbies, they know not what they do

except you just did the same thing.

w00t

Activity: 188
Merit: 108

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:14:32 PM

Zero thought into OP.

How can government do anything about Bitcoin? It's ridiculous idea - even if they did build a Great Chinese firewall you can always go through proxy or VPN and there will always be at least some countries which will never censor internet.

So saying "Bitcoin is fucked" make me think that you are one of the guys spreading FUD. Please add more info regarding your original thought or delete the topic before you make it to my very special list Smiley.
Thank you.

First PC game is using Bitcoin as the currency: Fallout 2
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:32:15 PM

How can government do anything about Bitcoin? It's ridiculous idea - even if they did build a Great Chinese firewall you can always go through proxy or VPN and there will always be at least some countries which will never censor internet.

Your missing the point. It's all about the perceptions of future adopters. It doesn't matter whether governments can technically take down the bitcoin network/protocol... they can massively inflate the perceived risks of future adopters.

When push comes to shove, the layman sees many alternatives to what bitcoin provides (especially since the vast majority only see bitcoin in terms of fiat and little more). If governments want to hurt bitcoin, they can censor, make transactions illegal (or cast them in a legally questionable light such that users will seek safer alternatives), use banks to target exchanges, businesses and even users -- seizing assets and crippling operations along the way. The negative press any such actions would bring would blow out of the water any and all fundamentally bullish indicators.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:35:39 PM

Your missing the point. It's all about the perceptions of future adopters. It doesn't matter whether governments can technically take down the bitcoin network/protocol... they can massively inflate the perceived risks of future adopters.

When push comes to shove, the layman sees many alternatives to what bitcoin provides (especially since the vast majority only see bitcoin in terms of fiat and little more). If governments want to hurt bitcoin, they can censor, make transactions illegal (or cast them in a legally questionable light such that users will seek safer alternatives), use banks to target exchanges, businesses and even users -- seizing assets and crippling operations along the way. The negative press any such actions would bring would blow out of the water any and all fundamentally bullish indicators.

They can stop digital fiat exchange in their country.  They can't stop the rest of the world and they can't stop cash transactions.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:40:58 PM

I think that really depends on how useful people find bitcoin. Downloading/uploading movies via bittorent is illegal almost everywhere in some form or another, yet the audience and userbase of bittorent only continues to grow. Of course there isn't any zuckerberg who is the billionaire poster boy for creating it/selling it, but that doesn't stop it from being enormously useful for hundreds of millions of people (I have no idea how many).

It can be the same for bitcoin. Illegal or regulated, but extremely useful anyway. The black market remember is worth trillions and trillions of dollars. Regulation doesn't change that.

more or less retired.
w00t

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:41:53 PM

I don't know maybe I'm completely wrong but when I see goverment being afraid (banning/complicating things) I would personally say to myself - hey they are frightened to death by that thing - there must be a reason for it, so how can I exploit it to my own benefit? I always have this in mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

Maybe it's just me. I have no idea what average Joe will do, but considering what has happened in Cyprus and how many ordinary folks hate EU I would not underestimate them.

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
w00t

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:44:02 PM

I think that really depends on how useful people find bitcoin. Downloading/uploading movies via bittorent is illegal almost everywhere in some form or another, yet the audience and userbase of bittorent only continues to grow. Of course there isn't any zuckerberg who is the billionaire poster boy for creating it/selling it, but that doesn't stop it from being enormously useful for hundreds of millions of people (I have no idea how many).

It can be the same for bitcoin. Illegal or regulated, but extremely useful anyway. The black market remember is worth trillions and trillions of dollars. Regulation doesn't change that.

Exactly my thoughts. If enough poeple find something really useful I don't think law does matter that much.

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: