Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:30:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asus Prime Z270P 7 GPUs detected, what about the 8th?  (Read 592 times)
vikingchild (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 10:46:52 PM

I have a PCIe controller that is seen in devices, but the card is not. When booting I also notice that the card is not spinning while all other cards are (7 out of 8 are spinning). I made sure to test in a different socket if it was the card that was the problem but it turns out that it was not.

I am using M.2 adapter on the motherboard to get 8 GPUs installed. One of the two works like a charm except the other. Any idea what this is caused by?
GreenDust

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:46:37 PM

If you are using m2 SSD try to switch to sata one. The m2 ssd is using one of the PCI lanes so maybe that's why.
Golempl

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2017, 08:09:07 PM

Change M.2 ports to PCIE if u didn't
Connect sata drive to last port (i think it was 4), and disable all other SATA
Disable audio, and all other devices u don't use, disable usb ports you don't need.
I think with current config could be able to get like 10 or 12 gpus (8 per nvidia/ati) with dual raisers, currently using 6x pcie and 2x m.2 pcie
Brockshad

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 06:20:54 PM

Can anyone share how you get the 8th GPU to recognize on this? I have RX580 Nitro+ 8GB cards, Asus Z270-P. I have 2 M.2 to PCIe converts. It seems to only recognize 7 cards. I have tried adjusting all (gen1-3, auto, PCIe...)settings and even disabled everything I am not using. Any light on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
slothroth

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:15:02 PM

I am having this exact same problem. On the z270-p board. 7th is recognized no problem, but the 8th card fans just sputter and isn't recognized by mobo or EthOS.

I've tried everything hardware-wise, new risers, tested card, m.2 adapters, power, it all. They all work independently.

I've tried all combinations of auto/gen1/gen2/gen3 on the board settings. I'm not using any SATA devices (booting from thumb drive), so I disabled all of that in bios, still no 8th card.

I'm at my wits end here on getting 8 to boot, anyone know the solution here?
beettruck

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:45:18 PM

Great, I have this board arriving on Wednesday to replace an MSI board that was supposed to support 8 GPUs but doesn't, at least easily.  Hopefully my hardware will work and I'll have ideas to post...
beettruck

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:00:02 AM

Alright, my board arrived a day early and I was able to swap it in to my rig.  It worked with all 8 1080 TI cards right off the bat, no problems.  I didn't do anything beyond the usual adjustments with the BIOS, so I think I know the problem.  My guess is that a switch to these m.2 adapters is all that you all need:  https://www.amazon.com/EXPLOMOS-NGFF-Adapter-Power-Cable/dp/B074Z5YKXJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516773409&sr=8-3&keywords=explomos+m.2+adapter

On the MSI motherboard I referenced in my previous post, these m.2 adapters had some luck getting more cards recognized than people with different adapters, so I think these are the way to go.  The same adapters are available on the UK Amazon site, but under a different brand name.  I can't think of what they are called right now.

Good luck!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: