Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:05:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FeatherCoin (FTC) miners complaining "diff is high", "chain got stuck", "fix it"  (Read 1060 times)
MaGNeT (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 05:34:23 PM

Dear miners,

FeatherCoin diff got "a bit" high, profitability is a bit low (80% atm) so you miners ran away to other coins and now start complaining "the chain is stuck, fix it!".

It's easy to fix, it's easy to get your coins in/out exchanges again... How? Start mining the darn coin!

I'm currently mining at http://fc.altpool.com with my 2.7Khash/s because I want to safe this coin, keep it on the exchanges and get my transactions through.

Join! Spread the word! When the going gets tough...
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 05:36:30 PM

How is it stuck in the first place?

Doesn't the fix that was already done for that problem way back when it happened to namecoin actually work?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
MaGNeT (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 05:39:42 PM

Doesn't the fix that was already done for that problem way back when it happened to namecoin actually work?

-MarkM-

Was there a fix? I only remember "merge mining" saved it from death Tongue
NickCoin

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:43:46 PM

Dear miners,

FeatherCoin diff got "a bit" high, profitability is a bit low (80% atm) so you miners ran away to other coins and now start complaining "the chain is stuck, fix it!".

It's easy to fix, it's easy to get your coins in/out exchanges again... How? Start mining the darn coin!

I'm currently mining at http://fc.altpool.com with my 2.7Khash/s because I want to safe this coin, keep it on the exchanges and get my transactions through.

Only to have everyone jumping in again once it resets to 30 diff, and within 8 hrs or so it will be abandoned again.
aikklond
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:45:18 PM

+10 to that this coin has an awesome dev and support team, now it just needs some responcible miners!

I am throwing 3/4 of my hashing power to it leaving just an 7950 to mine anything else.
aikklond
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:46:08 PM

OH, and after the new diff comes online, it will change so that diff.changes are 4 timefaster than litecoin!
Simran

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 05:46:19 PM

Dear miners,

This is just another way to get more people to mine FTC. If people don't want to mine your coin, too bad, you're coins are stuck? Well your fault for not trading them to a chain that's being mined. Oh well, FTC is dead, CNC is dead, and the countless others that are being created either die the next day and for sure the next week or two.

*Image Removed*
Donate LTC: LRgbgTa3XNQSEUhnwC6Ye2vjiCV2CNRpib
Donate BTC: 1AGP6xPTRvsAVhsRsBX13NUH6p6LJjyeiA
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 05:51:30 PM
Last edit: May 09, 2013, 06:04:10 PM by markm

-MarkM-

Was there a fix? I only remember "merge mining" saved it from death Tongue

Of course there was a fix. Namecoin itself might not have bothered to use the fix if they thought merged mining would cause them not to need the fix, but there were lots of blockchains around back then too and not all of them wanted to be able to be merged mined, or thought that even if they did adapt merged mining they might as well also use the fix too just in case.

It is why all or almost all coins from back in that era do not use bitcoin's difficulty adjustment algorithm; it is vulnerable to this problem so a more-adaptive adjustment system was made.

In actuality I think more than one fix was made, though I am not sure if both worked or, since suddenly we see new coins suffering the same old problem, whether either of them actually work. Which fix did this coin choose? Because whichever of the fixes it chose apparently is not the one that works, if indeed any of the fixes actually work.

For example, DeVCoin and GRouPcoin both use the same fix. I am not sure which other coins use that fix nor which used a different fix. But if this coin used the same fix as DVC and GRP and is still having this problem both DVC and GRP will be needing whatever improved fix this coin comes up with.

If this coin used the other fix, or tried to come up with a totally new and different fix, DVC and GRP might be fine using the fix they already use and only this coin and whichever coins are using the same fix this coin uses will need updating with some other fix or updating to use the fix that seems to have worked fine so far for DVC and GRP.

(Both DVC and GRP can be merged mined, but they have the fix too anyway so as not to rely only on some theory that somehow being merged mined is some kind of protection from this. I heard Slush's pool dropped namecoin, has that hit namecoin with this problem? Or does namecoin have the fix? Or is just the one merged mining pool no longer merged mining it not really enough of a drop in hashpower to cause the problem in the first place?)

-MarkM-

EDIT: If this coin has none of the fixes for this, does it also maybe not have a fix for the timetravel exploit? As the fix GRP and DVC used included the timetravel exploit fix while it was in there fixing this problem too so the one update/fix fixed both problems with one patch/change.

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
MilkyWayMasta

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:19:20 PM

Dear miners,

Where do I point my miner to so I can use that pool? It doesn't mention anything on the actual site. I still believe in FTC!

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: