Bitcoin Forum
August 19, 2024, 04:28:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Creating a New Coin Legal in the US?  (Read 384 times)
evercode1 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 06:03:18 AM

Just want to get some opinions on this at this point.  There are tons of new coins coming onto the market, new ICOs every day.  I'm not sure how many of these projects are based in the US.

I suppose there are two flavors of this question:

1.   The legality of a new currency or token created by an open-source project run by a foundation in the US.

2.  The legality of a new currency or token created by a privately held company un the US.

I notice for example that Veritaseum, a privately held US company, talks about Vertitaseum being a token to purchase services.  No insult intended, but is that just a smokescreen for acting like a currency to work around US law?

I wonder if you are running an ICO, and you only accept Ethereum, are you raising actual money, which would then fall under SEC rules, or are we in wild west of unknown territory, and therefore completely unregulated?  Seems like you could make a case that Ethereum is not money...

As a programmer/writer/entrepreneur, I'm new to this space, so sorry if these are obvious questions.  I find it fascinating and am considering putting a project together...  

Also, sorry if this thread is in the wrong category, I tried to delete to find a better fit, but couldn't...

Dude.Lebowski

Activity: 129
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 06:12:30 AM

Just want to get some opinions on this at this point.  There are tons of new coins coming onto the market, new ICOs every day.  I'm not sure how many of these projects are based in the US.

I suppose there are two flavors of this question:

1.   The legality of a new currency or token created by an open-source project run by a foundation in the US.

2.  The legality of a new currency or token created by a privately held company un the US.

I notice for example that Veritaseum, a privately held US company, talks about Vertitaseum being a token to purchase services.  No insult intended, but is that just a smokescreen for acting like a currency to work around US law?

I wonder if you are running an ICO, and you only accept Ethereum, are you raising actual money, which would then fall under SEC rules, or are we in wild west of unknown territory, and therefore completely unregulated?  Seems like you could make a case that Ethereum is not money...

As a programmer/writer/entrepreneur, I'm new to this space, so sorry if these are obvious questions.  I find it fascinating and am considering putting a project together...  

Also, sorry if this thread is in the wrong category, I tried to delete to find a better fit, but couldn't...

Math is not illegal in America yet not us exchanging money for numbers.

Okay. The old man told me to take any rug in the house.
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 06:25:19 AM

Maybe you want to check out Legal Section? And you might want to take a look at this thread: Bitcoin Attorney Will Answer All Questions:.

He is an attorney in US and is a great person to talk about legality.

George D. Greenberg, Esq.
AttorneyBitcoin
Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
www.attorneybitcoin.com
EthBooksPro

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2017, 09:57:56 AM

Maybe you want to check out Legal Section? And you might want to take a look at this thread: Bitcoin Attorney Will Answer All Questions:.

AttorneyBitcoin
www.attorneybitcoin.com

I've found this section to be very helpful, legalwise. There so many concerns that have been addressed about the legality of cryptocurrecncies.

Yuminova Irina

Activity: 81

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 10:23:42 AM

While this is not officially accepted, I think that the Bitcoins will conquer the whole world and become a single currency for everyone)
evercode1 (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 03:55:08 PM

AttorneyBitcoin
www.attorneybitcoin.com

Thank you, I will check that out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: