Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:14:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Manual overclocking makes no sense on nVidia cards...  (Read 3221 times)
Heimer

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 03:11:49 PM

I've got weird feeling that you are trolling us...
You didn't tell us what hashes you get, didn't even post one screenshot and now you're claiming that you've got 6th OC in the world

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dragonmike (OP)

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 08:20:32 PM

Ok my friends, now I'm getting a weird feeling that many more people than I thought here actually have no clue how GPU boost 3 actually works.

For Pascal cards at a given temperature with voltage limit maxed out, the only variable here limiting your clock speed is power limit. This is because your GPU will only boost as high as your power limit will allow. This is why I power modded my 1080 in my pc by applying conductive liquid metal to the shunt resistors and the flashed it to the ASUS bios that allows 1.2V (as opposed to the FE max voltage of 1.093).

This is why I was able to push my gpu to 2303 MHz in Time Spy.

So no, fellas, I'm not trolling you. That top score on HWbot is mine. If you look it up on Futuremark's Time Spy leaderboard you'll see it. My username there is mikethedragon. Look it up.

So I do know pretty damn well how the pascal GPU overclocking works, trust me.

And this is why I am saying that most people here who set fix overclocks on pascal cards probably don't know what they are doing because it's effectively their TDP setting that will dictate the clocks they run at, not the fix offset they put on. GPU Boost will go as high on the curve as the TDP limit will allow it to go before it throttles.

Now I'm asking every smartass out here again: why are you setting fixed clocks when mining? And please don't ask me again what my ETH hashrate is. If you had paid attention in the first post, you'd understand why I'm not mining ETH.

PS: oh and if I could restrict this thread to adults as opposed to pre-schoolers posting turds I'd be thankful!
zer0k

Activity: 349

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2017, 09:44:47 PM

And this is why I am saying that most people here who set fix overclocks on pascal cards probably don't know what they are doing because it's effectively their TDP setting that will dictate the clocks they run at, not the fix offset they put on. GPU Boost will go as high on the curve as the TDP limit will allow it to go before it throttles.

Let's assume you have great cooling and aren't being throttled by temp...

Try setting a power limit of say 70-80% with a +250 core clock and take a note of the hashing performance and core clocks and power draw etc.
Then try a default 100% power limit and no core boost and see what the differences are

Report back with your findings Smiley

dragonmike (OP)

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 10:35:33 PM

My god this really is a trash can of a place. It took 13 hours to get a decent suggestion just to be topped by another plonker throwing out insults.
martyroz

Activity: 325
Merit: 110

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:20:24 AM

Try setting a power limit of say 70-80% with a +250 core clock and take a note of the hashing performance and core clocks and power draw etc.
Then try a default 100% power limit and no core boost and see what the differences are

1080ti EVGA SC

total stock; 750 sols
72% TDP; 650 sols
72% TDP & +75 core; 680 sols

AFAIK, when you limit power, yes it disables the dynamic boost and reverts you to 'base' clock. So you have to then apply a core increase and test to find available OC headroom.
wtfonly16

Activity: 285
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:26:34 AM

what the fuck is this thread??

its already been proven countless times that nvidia overclocking does not work because of stupid efficient power throttling. whats the big fukin deal here?Huh

ye i aint bares
damstr

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 01:40:39 AM

My 1080 Ti's say differently. If I set power limit to 60% I get around 1500MHz. If I then add +150 to the core, the core clock increases 150Mh to around 1750Mhz. Do that on 4 cards and you are effectively getting a 600Mhz boost and the results are in the MH/s the miner is reporting.

With GPU boost the freq does jump around here and there but usually not more than 50Mhz.
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 04:08:15 AM

Now I'm asking every smartass out here again: why are you setting fixed clocks when mining?

OK I'm a smartass. My cards don't throttle when I raise the clock so I get a directly proportional increase
in hashrate with all other settings, except fan, stock. As the first reply suggested, you need to find out why you're
cards are throttling.

But it seems you're mind is already made up, it just doesn't work. So why should anyone bother discussing it
intellegently with a closed mind?

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
wtfonly16

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 04:24:24 AM

its already been proven countless times that nvidia overclocking does not work because of stupid efficient power throttling. whats the big fukin deal here?Huh

You sir are a moron...

its already been proven countless times that nvidia overclocking does not work because of stupid efficient power throttling. whats the big fukin deal here???

ye i aint bares
wtfonly16

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 04:46:50 AM

You sir are a moron...

its already been proven countless times that nvidia overclocking does not work because of stupid efficient power throttling. whats the big fukin deal here???

I'll stat it again, you sir are a moron.

There are many of us that know how to overclock and get the results we want.  So if you can't figure it out, you really are a Moron.

ye i aint bares
wtfonly16

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 05:41:43 AM

You sir are a moron...

There are many of us that know how to overclock and get the results we want.  So if you can't figure it out, you really are a Moron.

Two can play this game...

Set the power level you want, keep temps low by changing fan speeds, overclock until the miner crashes, pull back until it's stable.  The end

This isn't rocket science.  So in turn, you are a complete moron.

u cant, card hits 61c then starts slowing down. nice company hahahahah

ye i aint bares
wtfonly16

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 07:33:07 PM

You sir are a moron...

There are many of us that know how to overclock and get the results we want.  So if you can't figure it out, you really are a Moron.

Two can play this game...

Set the power level you want, keep temps low by changing fan speeds, overclock until the miner crashes, pull back until it's stable.  The end

This isn't rocket science.  So in turn, you are a complete moron.

u cant, card hits 61c then starts slowing down. nice company hahahahah

Wow.  You should probably stick with AMD fucktard.

cya dweeb get fukin pz latered. its already been proven just look it up aloevera leaves on ebola kid.

Funny how I can overclock all my nvidia cards with stable not throttled clocks without problem.  So in turn you're wrong and you also can't spell at all, you must be retarded.

how many times i have to tell u, its been proven by industry professionals who rub alovera leaves on ebola that u cant overclock nvidia...

ye i aint bares
wtfonly16

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 10:09:46 PM

Thank you.

ye i aint bares
ioglnx

Activity: 574

Fighting mob law and inquisition in this forum

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 08:57:06 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2017, 09:19:12 PM by ioglnx

My god this really is a trash can of a place. It took 13 hours to get a decent suggestion just to be topped by another plonker throwing out insults.

dragonmike: You won the most anticipated award for the biggest bullshit ever posted in this forum.

GTX 1080Ti rocks da house... seriously... this card is a beast³
Owning by now 18x GTX1080Ti :-D @serious love of efficiency
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 09:18:05 PM

So, after almost three pages... can you manually overclock pascal?
ioglnx

Activity: 574

Fighting mob law and inquisition in this forum

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 09:21:01 PM

Well he is OC Pro he can shatter your world. So yes he was able to learn from other noobs what a Pro never learned as Pro from HWbot.
So I hope he will value the turd award.. but maybe i should nominate him for the Darwin award.

GTX 1080Ti rocks da house... seriously... this card is a beast³
Owning by now 18x GTX1080Ti :-D @serious love of efficiency
antantti
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 09:26:03 PM

Calm down my friend, you should know it, can you overclock pascal manually?

If I give them enough amps and water cooling what is the limit on 1080ti?
antantti
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 09:52:26 PM

Go figure it out for yourself.  This is very easy.  But maxing out your cards for mining is dumb and inefficient.

Thanks for hijacking.

I don't have a 1080ti or fullcover block to it yet. But I have a feeling I might have some soon.

About maxing, hehe...

antantti
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 10:23:23 PM

Water cooling cards for mining is a waste of money.  If you're using it for gaming or noise issues that's different.

And again.  You can ramp up some 1080tis up to 300ish watts but it's inefficient.  It's easy math.

$700 for gpu for mining is a waste of money.

Let me do the power thing.

What I am looking for is to buy some cheap 1080ti soon, I only need to know what it can do if it is maxed. 300w@40C could do magic, you tried?
reb0rn21
Legendary

Activity: 1898
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 10:37:48 PM

80-90%+ miners know shit, they are used with copy/paste setting for AMD, same with HW, they sow it on youtube, etc, real insight ZERO brain power!

Sure NV OC is easy but there is no c/p setting because each bios is set to different offset , same for TDP, and then you try to explain to some shithead what a offset  Smiley

Sure they also have afterburner ctrl+f custom boost OC tool! lol when they open it they shit bricks Cheesy

I too agree might be nice to have more control over NV OC but still this is not a reason for some twat to cry here

▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄
           ▄▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀▀▄
        ▄▀▀  ▄▄▀█          ▀█▀▄▄  ▀▀▄
      ▄▀▀ ▄▄▀    ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
     █   █            ▀            █   █
   ▄▀ █  ▀▄▄                     ▄█▀  █ ▀▄
  ▄▀ ▄▀ █▄ ▀▀▀██▄▄▄       ▄▄▄██▀▀  ██ ▀▄ ▀▄
  ▀▄▀▀▄ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀▄   ▄▀  ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ▄▀▀▄▀
 ██   █ ██ ▀▄    ▀▄ █   █ ▄▀    ▄▀ ██ █  ▀██
 █  ▄█  ▀█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █   █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █   █▄  █
█▀ █  █  █          █   █          █  █  █ ▀▀
 █▀  ▄▀  █▀▄        █   █        ▄▀█  ▀▄  ▀█