Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:25:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to investing - a question on stop loss orders  (Read 1457 times)
JRam (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:24:38 PM
Last edit: May 09, 2013, 08:13:29 PM by JRam

Would a trailing stop loss order automatically sell your position when your investment has declined by a percentage? I've been reading up about stop loss orders and just want some clarification.

Does any exchanges offer this function? I use Mt. Gox and it definitely doesn't offer stop loss orders.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:21:13 PM

Hello,

Stop orders do sell your bitcoins automatically when price decline under your set point. The trailing function allow this set price to follow the ticker price when it goes up (a way to "lock-in" profits).

However, stop orders behave like market orders when they are triggered, so there is no guarantee of the price at which they will be executed (in a crashing market becoming very illiquid, you might have some bad surprises).

I could suggest Bitfinex.com as an exchange proposing stop orders (disclosure: It's my exchange Smiley)

Raphael
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:43:40 PM

Does any exchanges offer this function?

No market exchanges in which you are buying or selling bitcoins currently offer this.

It has been something discussed for years though.  Camp BX's site has mentioned them since its June 2011 launch, for example.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

JRam (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:55:16 PM

Thank you guys, I'll definitely take a look at Bitfinex and Camp BX. These trailing stop loss orders seems like something I would use a lot if I'm not able to constantly monitor my investments. I'm surprised that the current exchanges like Mt. Gox doesn't already have these types of advance trading function as they seem very convenient.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:03:40 AM

Another exchange that will offer stop loss orders (and many other order types) is kraken.com. Kraken is in open beta right now, so if you want to play around with stop loss orders to get the hang of it, you can sign up for an account here

beta.kraken.com

Your account will be funded with play money so you can try it out. The way trailing stop loss orders work is that you set a "stop offset" (either in absolute price, or a percentage) and a market sell order will trigger once price falls by the stop offset amount. For example, if you set a stop offset of 5%, the market sell won't trigger until price falls by 5%. Kraken should go live within two weeks, possibly next week. Note that your beta account will be wiped at launch, so you would have to open a new account for real trading.

Disclosure: I work for kraken.com (Payward), as vouched for here

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=192104.0
JRam (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:40:25 PM

Your account will be funded with play money so you can try it out. The way trailing stop loss orders work is that you set a "stop offset" (either in absolute price, or a percentage) and a market sell order will trigger once price falls by the stop offset amount. For example, if you set a stop offset of 5%, the market sell won't trigger until price falls by 5%. Kraken should go live within two weeks, possibly next week. Note that your beta account will be wiped at launch, so you would have to open a new account for real trading.

Disclosure: I work for kraken.com (Payward), as vouched for here

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=192104.0

Yes! This function is exactly what I'm looking for as I'm not able to watch my investments 24/7. I'll def take a look at Kraken for this convenient trading feature.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:44:44 AM

Even better would be something like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=uqt7ne12f8ri6clq777s1rpma4&topic=149689.0
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 02:24:48 AM

For stocks with a low beta you can keep your stocks pretty tight, for something high beta (lots of volitility) like Bitcoin, you will likely get stopped out more often than you would like to be unless you want to be actively trading.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
San1ty

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:42:55 AM

Serious traders often find stop losses to rather be start losses.
Instead use a strategy on a time-frame that works for you and stick with that as your entry / exit strategy.

Found my posts helpful? Consider buying me a beer :-)!:
BTC - 1San1tyUGhfWRNPYBF4b6Vaurq5SjFYWk NXT - 17063113680221230777
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 12:21:18 PM

Serious traders often find stop losses to rather be start losses.
Instead use a strategy on a time-frame that works for you and stick with that as your entry / exit strategy.

These would seem to not necessarily be mutually exclusive, though...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: