Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:15:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: physical coin for bitcoin  (Read 343 times)
peterpanda (OP)

Activity: 562
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:38:51 PM

I know there was physical coin for bitcoin.
But here i am thinking other more secure and safe physical coin.
A small device driven by a MCU, which was coded to generated one private key and send only its public address out. So the private key was blind from anyone, even it's builder.
Second, it can only sig one transaction out only (after input of an withdraw address), after this single transaction out, the private key was wiped out. 
So people can trust that the coin stored in this physical coin was secure and this coin may be used like real physical coin.

It is just some rough thought, I am wondering is anyone interested in this kind of physical coin?
I may find out a way to make it

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6120

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:50:47 PM

If this is a device as you say and we make the first transaction and the private keys are deleted and wiped, the device will become worthless? If yes, what's the point of calling it a physical coin If it's only possible to use it once.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
peterpanda (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 08:34:11 PM

If this is a device as you say and we make the first transaction and the private keys are deleted and wiped, the device will become worthless? If yes, what's the point of calling it a physical coin If it's only possible to use it once.

This wipe out process was designed to make sure that the bitcoin in the private key was still there,(if it has been transfered, the device will indicate it by shown that i have no private key)
And i think the physical coin was used by transfer it, just like ordinary physical coin. Instead of transfer bitcoin in the private key, we just transfer the private key.
The purpose of physical coin was to promote the recognition and acceptance of bitcoin to public, who might be more familiar with physical coins.

After wipe out, maybe generating another private key and shown the new address? Which can make it re-mintable

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6120

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 07:08:17 AM

This wipe out process was designed to make sure that the bitcoin in the private key was still there,(if it has been transfered, the device will indicate it by shown that i have no private key)
And i think the physical coin was used by transfer it, just like ordinary physical coin. Instead of transfer bitcoin in the private key, we just transfer the private key.
The purpose of physical coin was to promote the recognition and acceptance of bitcoin to public, who might be more familiar with physical coins.

After wipe out, maybe generating another private key and shown the new address? Which can make it re-mintable

Once again, you said a device. There might be a chance that It's not well protected and private key are not really deleted as should be (or they are sent to a server) and If it is that secure, It could cost a lot more then It should be (say a wallet that contains 0.1 BTC could cost like 0.15 BTC in that case). I believe It's really not worth it and whoever want to continue with devices should simply use hardware wallets and continue to trade these online.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
peterpanda (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 07:58:42 AM

Once again, you said a device. There might be a chance that It's not well protected and private key are not really deleted as should be (or they are sent to a server) and If it is that secure, It could cost a lot more then It should be (say a wallet that contains 0.1 BTC could cost like 0.15 BTC in that case). I believe It's really not worth it and whoever want to continue with devices should simply use hardware wallets and continue to trade these online.

You might be right, since I have not yet calculate the hardware requirement for that. 
I do have some experience of programing MCU, but i am not familiar of bitcoin private key generation and transaction things.
It would take me some time to go through these

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: