Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 09:00:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum can't supplant Bitcoin?  (Read 572 times)
bertramme (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:57:07 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2017, 03:07:49 PM by bertramme

One of my friends has invested early-ish in Ether (a few hundred shares just <$100), he has hopes of becoming a millionaire off of this investment as he expects/hopes for Etherum to overtake Bitcoin in value at some point. Another friend who has been in the space longer says he may make $100k+, but the likelihood of supplanting Bitcoin and him becoming a millionaire is very, very small. He says if Bitcoin were to crash/be replaced, all cryptocurrency would suffer and be devalued. Is that a likely true statement? Why is this scenario different than other economic situations?  
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 03:03:06 PM

Unless your friends threw a hundred thousands USD at Eth, they probably won't be millionaires.

At first I though Eth surpassing BTC would be a sad day but in reality Eth has no day to day use. Its recent value must be tied to the dozens of ICOs tied to it and all the new gold rush chasing gamblers who throw money at them - chasing Bitcoin's success.

Not your keys, not your coins!
YYmeans

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 03:05:16 PM

ETH makes its way different form  BTC ,there are many altcoins , and people make new altcoins day by day.
In the end ,  some coins will survive .Which one will still be here, no one knows, only time will tell.

One Man Band

Activity: 36

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 03:21:25 PM

It all depends on if Ethereum can scale their platform in the future.

If they can, they will be alike what Windows NT was for MS-DOS. and will be valued higher than BTC(one day).

IMO.
bertramme (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 03:23:11 PM

Unless your friends threw a hundred thousands USD at Eth, they probably won't be millionaires.

At first I though Eth surpassing BTC would be a sad day but in reality Eth has no day to day use. Its recent value must be tied to the dozens of ICOs tied to it and all the new gold rush chasing gamblers who throw money at them - chasing Bitcoin's success.

Isn't the "smart contract" aspect of Ether supposed to make it useful? I've read a little about it, but have spent more time lately learning more about bitcoin so I don't know the specifics or if it's mostly puffery.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 06:40:45 PM

Isn't the "smart contract" aspect of Ether supposed to make it useful? I've read a little about it, but have spent more time lately learning more about bitcoin so I don't know the specifics or if it's mostly puffery.

Yes, smart contracts are great, but how many of them do you or anyone you know use?

Not your keys, not your coins!
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 10:25:50 PM

Yes, smart contracts are great, but how many of them do you or anyone you know use?

smart contracts - Is catch  for new NEWBIE ICO investor those token will be difternt from old one they say,

So far I was using only ETHdelta (exchange) build on smart contracts and it is awafull but only one option to sell some shit tikens.

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
CoinRocka

Activity: 249

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 11:46:38 PM

"So I can use computers to listen to baseball games....isn't that what radios are for?"
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1447

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 01:03:49 AM

One of my friends has invested early-ish in Ether (a few hundred shares just <$100), he has hopes of becoming a millionaire off of this investment as he expects/hopes for Etherum to overtake Bitcoin in value at some point. Another friend who has been in the space longer says he may make $100k+, but the likelihood of supplanting Bitcoin and him becoming a millionaire is very, very small. He says if Bitcoin were to crash/be replaced, all cryptocurrency would suffer and be devalued. Is that a likely true statement? Why is this scenario different than other economic situations?  

The price of ETH must reach more than 1000 dollars to make your friend a millionaire which today is not possible, now that we know that Ethereum has worse problems on scaling than Bitcoin.

If you want to have a chance to become a millionaire, take risks in a less popular cryptocoin but has a good chance of gaining value and utility in the future. A simple coin like Monero was a good choice back when it was under 1 dollar. Now I am speculating in Aeon which is maintained and developed by smooth, who is a lead developer of Monero.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
tuapoma

Activity: 437

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 01:59:13 AM

Ether has infinite coin supply!! i do not trust ether and ripple! i do not trust a cryptocurrency with infinite inflation, then a lot of new money will create a lot of inflation, and an infinite quantity of new money will created infinite inflation.

a good example, Ethereum Ran Into Two Problems Dash Long Since Fixed:
https://www.dashforcenews.com/ethereum-ran-two-problems-dash-long-since-fixed/
Wink
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2017, 02:03:52 AM

Eth can't survive long term so chance is he will not be a millionaire.

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
tuapoma

Activity: 437

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 02:12:06 AM

As Bitcoin’s usability declines, Ethereum has become a popular substitute for the largest cryptocurrency. Unfortunately, this has led to the rise of some of the same issues facing Bitcoin: scalability and privacy. While it’s understandable that any major cryptocoin would eventually have to deal with similar factors, the Dash Digital Cash has already solved both of these problems years ago.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: