Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 02:17:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A question of ethics for you...  (Read 658 times)
couture (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 07:15:03 PM

So I have been looking for a place to set up my gpu rig (hopefully the first of many)

Found an office division space for £180/month
No contract just 30 days notice
24/7 access and on site security
Free UNLIMITED power..!!! (I asked about fair usage policies "...no fair usage.. it's unlimited.")
Free UNLIMITED aircon - I was told they could set the timers so that overnight and the weekends it turns into a freaking icebox in there
Enough space for probably 3 rackstacks containing about 12 rigs I would guess

But.... and here's the whammy....

During working 9-5 hours.. the rest of the office (one large room divided with partitions) is occupied by people actually renting the spaces to work....

And the rigs... as we know... are noisy AF. All. Day. Err. Day.

(I also asked the owner about noise limits and they were just like "yeah no problemo!!"

So.. what do you think?

A. Dive in and spam the primary inbox of that little office with rigs
Or
B. Find somewhere else (good luck me) that doesn't homewreck the working spaces of a bunch of genuine hard working people..

Huh
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 07:19:36 PM

Need more info. They seem to be way over their heads with the info given.

How tight is security (can workers nick you rigs)? Is there security 0-24 or just in working hours, or the opposite?

How much would you have to pay for electricity $/kWh? If they can't answer that or just say it's free, they don't know what they're doing.

How close the rigs would be to workers (mainly because of the noise)?

Not your keys, not your coins!
couture (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 07:28:05 PM

Agreed... the owner doesn't quite know what he's signing up for and this will end badly for me haha

I have a better idea though

Perhaps I should rent a larger self contained office within the same building - noise thus isn't an issue - check the cost per kWh and then sublet it out to anyone else that wants an air conditioned place to keep their rigs!

Security is 24/7 onsite guard
Self contained office would be locked up from the inside too

Hmmm!
jennywhzz

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 05:24:22 PM

if you have questions about ethics then you're on the Right website. Most of these people here have scammed and stolen or developed some personal set of criteria that is absolutely wrong.
bones2

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 05:34:11 PM

Each office will likely have 1 or 2 outlets on shared circuits. Without them running you several dedicated circuits you wont be getting much done for mining.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 06:23:39 PM

See that is the thing,  they say is unlimited power until they see how much power you use and then its game over and probably they will sue you for how much you used and will make you pay, there is no free electricity in the world, somebody will pay your bill.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
systemv

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

StuffGoGo Developer

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2017, 06:51:40 PM

See that is the thing,  they say is unlimited power until they see how much power you use and then its game over and probably they will sue you for how much you used and will make you pay, there is no free electricity in the world, somebody will pay your bill.

Thats exactly my thoughts, even if you defend yourself, legal fees will eat all your profit. At least rent is as a company and get liability insurance for it.

64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:30:05 PM

There is a legitimate possibility that the power and A/C is free because the owner/lessor maybe operating under some sort of grant/charity funding/subsidy to run this office space as some sort of startup incubator.

Here is what I would contemplate:

1) Temporarily camp out at the space and run your miners outside of 9-5. Everybody gets what they want.

a) Could you sublet your space from 9-5 since you don't use it?
b) Could you negotiate a lower rent since this valuable space is unused 9-5?

2) Would it be possible for you to section off a part of the space in order to operate during the 9-5 slot? The idea being to lessen the noise/thermal impact of your operation.

3) Marketing/goodwill/karma angle: run part of a system or a system under BOINC. I believe there might be some European and possibily British universities that use the (free) computational resources.

It make sound a bit dodgy, but after all, if you have a mining farm, you are in the business of running a low cost supercomputer. We all are offering computing power for a fee.

Heimer

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:37:52 PM

Make an agreement and be sure tu put ,,free electricity" in there  Wink
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:46:47 PM

People tried this before with Bitcoin ASICs and they got a fine after 2-3 months when the office manager got their power bill.

If you read the contract, it says you can't abuse your electricity privilages even though its free.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 09:13:19 PM

Tell them the truth, I have few computers and they use a lot of power, do the calculation and show them and then ask them if you can still rent the place and if they agree with the power consumption you will be using. Trust me after they see how much power you use and calculate based on how much will be the bill then they will change the "unlimited power" policy or no, they will just tell you go away and they will still with the marketing gimmick hoping to get another idiot who believes electricity is free. Do you know why they say unlimited power? to make easier to rent, truth is the rent money they get from you is used to pay the bills. Now I have seen really free electricity as in real free electricity, know how? the rent money covers 24/7 electricity of 100% that is available to you by cable which means, for example the 100% is 10k/h per hour the rent will be 100% electricity usage + the rent so meaning you will get your free electricity as a marketing gimmick but in truth you are paying for 100% of it, which means the free electricity is a lie. So meaning, if you use 90% of what is available to you then you are paying 10% more for the rent owner. There is no real free electricity and if you see then be careful cause is a lie and in the event you rent then be prepared cause you will have to pay fines and many lawyers to take care of your case  cause if you dont then get ready for jail time.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Maxumark

Activity: 159
Merit: 108

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 09:30:35 PM

if you have questions about ethics then you're on the Right website. Most of these people here have scammed and stolen or developed some personal set of criteria that is absolutely wrong.
Not helpful.  Not accurate. Not relevant.

I would add that my comment here is neither helpful or relevant to the OP either, and the accuracy of my comment is subject to ones opinion. 

Mining LTC and other alts since 2014 when I thought I missed the BTC train.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: