Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:02:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC funds on exhange if hard fork happens  (Read 313 times)
z0n0 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 07:36:15 AM

So, let's get back in time when ETH hard forked.
If you had 10 ETH on lets say poloniex, after hard fork you had 10 ETH and 10 ETC (correct me if I'm wrong).
Is this going to happen as well if BTC hard fork occure?
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 07:40:25 AM

It really will depend on the exchange and what they decide to do, I know that there were a few with ETH that did not do this for their clients, pretty sure Coinbase kept all the ETC themselves which they later apologised for and said it was a mistake.

If people need to keep their coins on an exchange it might be a good idea to find out what they will be doing in the case that this does happen.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 3841

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 07:48:32 AM

If you had 10 ETH on lets say poloniex, after hard fork you had 10 ETH and 10 ETC (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think it will be the same for bitcoin, you would end up with BTC and BTCC/BTU/whatever.

If you leave your coins on crypto exchanges though, they MIGHT only give you access to one version of bitcoin. So it's never a good idea to leave them on exchanges. Keep them on wallets whereas you have access to the private keys.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
z0n0 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 07:50:26 AM

I think it will be the same for bitcoin, you would end up with BTC and BTCC/BTU/whatever.

If you leave your coins on crypto exchanges though, they MIGHT only give you access to one version of bitcoin. So it's never a good idea to leave them on exchanges. Keep them on wallets whereas you have access to the private keys.

So if I keep BTC in my private wallet (lets say electrum) I might end up with both (BTC & "BTCC")?
I did not know that.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 07:50:42 AM

probably the same but remember that value won't be the same pretty much like ETH and ETC, so you are not getting double of your investment

still it's unclear if they will listen the new fork or not, many exchange are on the fence now, they only support core
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: