Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:35:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-07-07]Mining Pool BTC.com Finds Accidental 80 BTC Fee – Offers a Refund  (Read 5836 times)
Siren (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 11:33:29 PM

Mining Pool BTC.com Finds Accidental 80 BTC Fee – Offers a Refund

On July 7th the mining pool BTC.com mined a block that contained a transaction with an 80 BTC fee attached. BTC.com believes the fee was an accident as the transaction fee should have been around 2 BTC and the pool is looking to give the sender a refund.

BTC.Com Finds an 80 BTC Fee and Offers to Pay the User Back

The China-based mining pool BTC.com was surprised to find a transaction in a block they mined tethered to an 80 BTC fee ($200,000 USD). The accidental fee is a large one, but this type of incident has happened many times over the years. The mining pool says they are not interested in keeping the money and would like to pay the user back if they can verify it was their transaction.

https://news.bitcoin.com/mining-pool-btc-com-80-btc-fee-refund/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 12:37:16 AM

I know it's purely the result of people's stupidity when they mess around with raw transactions without fully knowing what they are doing, but I am a great supporter of such acts from the side of the miners. I know how it feels to lose coins due to experimenting with raw transactions. I had one incident where I set up the transaction with all required details (at least I thought I did), where I completed and sent the transaction with the command sendrawtransaction plus the required hex code, and to my surprise, the entire remaining balance was included as fee. Lips sealed I lost just over 0.08 BTC as it was included as fee.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 01:44:21 AM

I know it's purely the result of people's stupidity when they mess around with raw transactions without fully knowing what they are doing, but I am a great supporter of such acts from the side of the miners. I know how it feels to lose coins due to experimenting with raw transactions. I had one incident where I set up the transaction with all required details (at least I thought I did), where I completed and sent the transaction with the command sendrawtransaction plus the required hex code, and to my surprise, the entire remaining balance was included as fee. Lips sealed I lost just over 0.08 BTC as it was included as fee.
Why would you do that in the first place, what is the advantage of sending raw transaction? as much as I'd love to say thanks to them but I just can't, because this is what expected from a human being, the world is so facked up currently that when some body does what they should normally do it becomes news, lol.
Clap, clap, here is your prize.

🖤😏
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 05:00:34 PM

In my situation there has not been any advantage at all, aside from the educational purpose. I just wanted to properly understand how a transaction can be set up without the interference of the client itself (which has certain limitations by default, that can be bypassed by manually creating a transaction). One thing became awfully clear, and that is that you can lose your entire balance in an instant if you don't pay attention to the code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: