Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:58:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What can I do Better with Bitcoin?  (Read 923 times)
nwbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 09:22:27 AM

Thought it was time we had a frank discussion about what Bitcoin and the altcoins, are good for!

If we want bitcoin to grow and find a mainstream use, it needs to be highlighted as being better for something than any other way of doing it.

For instance, if I want to buy something on line, I can use bitcoin, or paypal or even a credit card over email, but each method has its own strengths and weaknesses. What we need is a list of services that bitcoin can do, where its strengths outweigh the strengths of other methods in doing the same thing.

The problem so far is that the only thing that bitcoin is fantastic for is to buy and sell outside society! Wink

You can buy drugs and other illegal services and you are not going to get traced.

We need some other services in here where bitcoin not only shines, but the service is wholesome and a benefit to society!

The only thing I can think of is to fund an on-line business in Central Africa! Wink

What do you think?

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Chet

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:40:47 AM

Its much better than a credit card for buying online. Use a credit card and the company gets hacked and you are toast.
Its no about illegal purchase, its legal purchase where you don't risk identity theft.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:44:38 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2013, 09:56:57 AM by John Smith

It's a much easier way to receive donations. For example for a blog,  site, or software. No need to set up different payment providers for different countries, or to worry that Paypal will shut you down. No need to register anything, just create an address and put it up.

Conversely it's also easier to send donations. If you want, you can stay completely anonymous.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:50:06 AM

It allows the merchants to accept your payment, whether your bank/card issuer sucks or not.

This is painfully obvious for any Chinese who wants to make an oversea online purchase, right now essentially no adequate payment method exists for such demand, because the American/European merchants do not trust(with very good reasons) our banking/payment/legal system etc.

The breakthrough of Bitcoin is exactly the removal of "trust" from the equation.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 10:26:09 AM

The fee is lower than credit cards for customer and merchants.
Also you don't need to change currency anymore, because Bitcoin is a global currency.

This illegal drug stuff is nothing more than a sidenote.
sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 280

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 10:48:35 AM

• Smiley Bitcoin is good for people with bad credit or as a credit card replacement.  For Canadians who live in Canada credit cards are protected from fraud.  Perhaps too much.  You buy gasoline and suddenly your credit card is canceled.  In Argentina, victims of credit card fraud pay not the issuer. 
  • Smiley Bitcoin can be a secure dropbox.  There is no reason a bitcoin POS system could not work as a receive only system. 
  • Smiley In economies with high inflation it is seen as a store of value.
  • Smiley In economies with low inflation it is seen as a store of value. Wink
  • Sad However, your bitcoin wallet is only as secure as the machine it is stored on.
  • Sad Your bitcoins are also vulnerable to burglary or pickpocket theft of your computer or phone 

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 10:56:17 AM

Sad Your bitcoins are also vulnerable to burglary or pickpocket theft of your computer or phone
Encryption anyone?

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 11:03:35 AM

What you can do better with Bitcoin, is:

• be in control over your own money and pay to whoever the hell you want, such as wikileaks
  • be independent of banks (with their ridiculous fees)
  • be independent of governments (with their restrictive rules)
  • pay instantly and worldwide without hassle
  • backup your money
  • protect your money against theft and fraud (remember all the credit card and ATM fraud that has been in the news lately?)
  • not letting authorities effectively waste your money on bailing out corrupt bankers and politicians who messed up in other countries (like what is happening right now in the EU)

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
nwbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 11:16:42 AM

Its no about illegal purchase, its legal purchase where you don't risk identity theft.

I love that feature - its ID theft proof! Smiley  Its nice and easy to understand and its a huge benefit!

I guess the other advantage is that there are no restrictions on on who can send money to whom.  Thinking wholesomely, its a great way for the poor of the world to get digital inclusion, without having to worry about credit worthiness and being approved by the bank.

A lot of the political advantages are based on opinion and could be seen to be just another form of tax avoidance!

Its really uplifting to read so much positivity in one place! Wink

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:53:25 PM

Its really uplifting to read so much positivity in one place! Wink

mmm yummy warm fuzzy thread Smiley
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:24:03 PM

What can I do Better with Bitcoin?

Unlike fiat coinage, you can flip a bitcoin and ten times out of ten it'll come up heads.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: