Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:42:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relativity  (Read 920 times)
GuiltySpark343 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 11:01:57 AM

I'm still relatively new to BTC, but I still find it hard to think in terms BTC pricing. For instance, if you told me a watch costs $10 USD, I'd say that's fairly cheap. If you told me the same watch costs 1 BTC, I wouldn't be able to say whether that was "cheap" or "expensive" unless I knew what the BTC/USD exchange rate was.

My point is, when I think of pricing in USD, I don't have to convert USD to JPY or CNY or EUR ... I just "know" because I have a feel of what other things cost in USD, so I have a frame of reference.

Anyone else have trouble gauging BTC's relative worth/cost?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Ƀ:17wbDetEw2aESM5oWXbm5ih9NSdDruyWNT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 11:14:40 AM

its only because you are not using btc as long and as often as $.

naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 12:18:45 PM

It is because it is not possible to have such reference  Roll Eyes

2 years ago someone bough 2 pizzas (really good ones) for 10k btc. Now, it is worth more than 1.2 million USD, some people are selling houses for less than 10k btc.
bozak

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:08:11 PM

It will still be a long time before people think if prices in terms of BTC.  The exchange rate has to stabilize first.  Right now, even the merchants that accept BTC almost always peg it to the US dollar exchange rate.  Nobody will think of pricing in BTC until merchants stop pegging the dollar. 
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:10:24 PM

And it will be rather hard untill volatility goes down... I think that really is one of the bigger hurdles. 

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
tobobit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 09:18:19 AM

And it will be rather hard untill volatility goes down... I think that really is one of the bigger hurdles. 
yes, the volatility is relative to market maniuplation, and the size of available bitcoins relative to worth in fiat is going to make this a BIG hurdle
jdbtracker

Activity: 727

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 10:52:22 AM

it is still a very small market, it's prone to instability.

but if I do a little math lets see... at what point will bitcoin become stable.

right now we are sitting at 17 million transactions per day. 75k unique transaction/day with a trade ratio of 2.5...

11 million coins in circulation valued at 118usd/btc = 1.3 billion

moving 35 million dollars per day or 300k btc/day +/- 30kbtc fluctuations average

well the 75k transactions with the trade ratio/volume ratio could be pointing to that right now it takes 75k transactions to the 17 million transactions per day
to move the price thats tiny, 1/233 of the total movement is causing this fluctuation.

The new adopters of the currency are causing this instability their influx is, people who just want to use btc to buy something or use it to transfer funds can't be causing this,
they just want to get in and out so they will find a price that is easy to match.

but what amount of the exchange trade is speculation? day trading? no clue, can't find data.

considering that at it's maximum bitcoin will be moving 45 billion dollars per day... expect a lot of volatility until we reach that number, then it will be rock solid,
or if it atleast gets to 1 billion a day then the price will only fluctuate a tiny bit no more then a few dollars.

but we are sitting at 35 million trade/day so it'll be a while.

someone will have to help me out here with my logic, cause I sure could use some coffee right now.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
stslimited

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 07:06:33 PM

I'm still relatively new to BTC, but I still find it hard to think in terms BTC pricing. For instance, if you told me a watch costs $10 USD, I'd say that's fairly cheap. If you told me the same watch costs 1 BTC, I wouldn't be able to say whether that was "cheap" or "expensive" unless I knew what the BTC/USD exchange rate was.

My point is, when I think of pricing in USD, I don't have to convert USD to JPY or CNY or EUR ... I just "know" because I have a feel of what other things cost in USD, so I have a frame of reference.

Anyone else have trouble gauging BTC's relative worth/cost?

correct, and MANY MANY MANY companies use this "frame of reference" naivety to skim profits off of consumers that do not keep up with exchange rates.

example: when Apple or Sony decreases prices of their old hardware 2 years later, it is *usually* because of exchange rate fluctuations that have occurred within that time period so great that they cannot fool enough consumers into thinking they have a fair price. It actually has very little to do with the age of the hardware or giving a break to consumer loyalty.

currently in the bitcoin economy, yes there is a lot of volatility, as such you cannot keep a price the same for 2 years with people thinking it is a fair price.

but your frame of reference is actually something companies count on to gyp you every single day, because they are aware of the exchange rate, which also changes every single day.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: