Bitcoin Forum
October 17, 2017, 11:59:04 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Traditional Greek Windmill Replicas  (Read 1458 times)
theomar

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 01:07:18 PM

Hi,
We are Theoharis Marinos  and Dimitris Mavrokefalos, two individuals from Greece involved with btc for the last two years.

Living in times where innovation plays a key role in our life we can not but have our minds set up in developing new things as well as supporting new and promising ideas and ways of interacting and being with each other.
So we have developed a new idea and here are some links and text for you to see.
Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Greek_windmill_replicas/594634963888681
A website is on the making..

Windmill #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4t0TGWDmkI&noredirect=1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greek_windmills/sets/72157633379649108/

Windmill #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXe_9E_PHS0

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greek_windmills/sets/72157633363516409/

Windmill #3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92BHDNNty2w

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greek_windmills/sets/72157633378710710/

A few words from the creator Stamatios Marinos

Over 500 years ago, during the pre-industrial era and after the second world war, on the summits of certain islands near by the villages where water was scarce (watermill), one could admire the famous windmills (windmills' sails prevailing the winds of the hellenic sky) grinding the precious grain for the purpose of human survival.
The first craftsmen came from Asia and propagated their craft with the island's locals. A wide range of technics were developed that varied depending upon the craftsman and the raw materials (stone,timber,etc) availability at each time and place.
In those days a windmill's construction would have cost almost as much as a large fishing boat and demanded the cooperation of highly skilled stonemasons, specialized carpenters, and smiths in order to raise and be completed. Every single one was handmade and its construction took between 8-12 months. In most major cities and villages of islands where water was scarce they had built 1-6 windmills covering the needs of the population.
Today with great sorrow one can look at the remnants of those great windmills (circular, conical buildings), some totally abandoned in their fate others in better shape, while no serious initiative has been taken with the purpose of restoring and preserving the historic value of such craftmenship that was developed in the past and presenting it today as a touristic attraction.
Touched by the pale yet strong childhood memories (fascination, whistling wind, wood creaking, flower scent) and considering it as a personal mission, I reconstructed these windmills in replicas of a 1:15 ratio (15 times smaller to the original with antenna diameter 85-95 cm).
In order to collect data and valuable information for constructing these replicas I went to various spots where the remnants were laying to measure the windmills with the greatest accuracy. I was lucky enough to have found old aged technicians and owners of the mills who, after long hours of discussion and many consecutive visits, described to me the details of the constructions that have already been ruined.
As long as I am healthy, I intend to search for more information about other Greek windmills that share distinct differences with the ones already made (those of Mykonos, Zante and Kefalonia ) and construct them with the purpose of immortalizing them for generations to come.
Inside the rooftop, I have implemented an electromechanical system that operates on a 12V rechargeable battery. This mechanism gives the opportunity for the upper part of the mill to perform two distinct moves. Each rooftop ring rotates around the central vertical axis, with the help of a highly sensitive wind detector placed on top, enabling the cap to align to the stream of wind each time available, while on the other hand the sails may move in grace without the need of wind at all.
The whole of the construction is handmade with hours of personal searching and labour spent so as to depict even the slightest detail true to the original mill. All windmills are waterproof (rain water) and can be placed almost anywhere.
Some 25 years ago I constructed my first windmill which I have placed, and still admire, on the rail of my balcony.
With great dedication and respect to tradition,
Stamatios Marinos

We are glad to support bitcoin and ripple as newly developed and revolutionary peer-to-peer digital currencies that offer distinct possibilities to the user.
These new decentralized currencies drive people closer by removing unnecessary intermediaries, making transactions easier and faster and at the same time enable the rise of a new type of a fully emancipated digital prosumer.
Hereafter we have cited our bitcoin and ripple address to anybody who wishes to support our initiative by donating or buying a windmill facilitating this way further work on the subject.

Bitcoin : 1Gk7NkhdFzFJZjSU99FhZ7Yt6BxLc2WKTM
Ripple : rK3mQg14stixU8yZzeKkvPXsi4btfX11BY
New projects are under way..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
abracadabra

Activity: 946

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 02:27:03 PM

How much?

What are actual dimensions?  You mention 1/15 scale, but since I have no idea what the full size windmill is like I can't guess at the model's dimension.

Shipping from where?  Greece I assume?

Milos windmills?  or are they too similiar to Mykonos Windmills?

johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 12:43:38 AM

I like the variety of things I'm seing sold
theomar

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:52:48 AM

How much?

What are actual dimensions?  You mention 1/15 scale, but since I have no idea what the full size windmill is like I can't guess at the model's dimension.

Shipping from where?  Greece I assume?

Milos windmills?  or are they too similiar to Mykonos Windmills?

Abracadabra hi!

First of all thank you for your interest.

The price of each windmill varies and is relevant to the time spent for construction, the raw materials used along with the transportation costs needed for collecting information on the spot.
Here I am going to cite the exact dimensions and cost for each windmill:

Windmill replica of Mykonos

Dimensions

Base diameter: 39cm
height of the main building: 41cm
height of the roof: 20cm
antenna diameter: 88.5cm
total height: 91.5cm

weight: 35.2kg

Price: 8,000euro (8k euro)

-12% discount in btc

Windmill replica of Kefalonia

Dimensions

Base diameter: 37cm
height of the main building: 38.5cm
height of the roof: 18cm
antenna diameter: 84cm
total height: 87cm

weight: 30.7kg

Price: 9,000euro (9k euro)

-12% discount in btc

Windmill replica of Zakynthos

Dimensions

Base diameter: 38cm
height of the main building: 38.5cm
height of the roof: 19cm
antenna diameter: 82cm
total height: 85cm

weight: 30.7kg

Price: 10,000 euro (10k euro)

For all the windmills we offer:
-12% discount in BTC

The shipping is from Greece and within boarders is free of charge. Outside  Greece the cost might vary depending on the place sent.

There is no windmill replica of Milos constructed at the moment. The differences between the windmills of Mykonos and that of Milos are significant so for this reason the creator will have to visit Milos and take the exact measurements for a new windmill to come to life. The time for construction will be 4-5 months and the cost will not exceed 8,000 euro.
Feel free to ask anything else you might want to know..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.