Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:07:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference in storing your BTC in a wallet vs exchange...  (Read 6307 times)
Chick (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:47:36 PM

Can anybody tell me the difference in storing your Bitcoins in a dedicated online wallet vs an exchange?

What confuses me is that you guys seem to have more trust in an exchange then a online wallet that is dedicated for storing your Bitcoins. For all you know, the online wallet might have better security than the exchange.

Can somebody give me some insight as to why this is?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:15:39 PM

Which storage method you trust more is a matter of your own judgement.  Personally, I trust my own abilities to secure my home network and computers more than I trust any online service.  The problem with that is it's very difficult to exchange between dollars and bitcoins from your personal private wallet.  Just as you would have to "load up" your exchange account with dollars before you can buy bitcoins, you have to load up your exchange account with bitcoins to buy dollars.  So you're exchanging convenience for risk.

There is no right answer, and there are risks to your coins wherever you keep them.  Compare allinvain's recent loss of coins from his wallet stored on his home computer, with potential losses from the mt.gox hack in the last few days.  Which people were wrong?  Neither (in general, although there are probably things they would each do differently in hindsight).

As the Bitcoin project matures, there will likely be more and more providers of more and varying secure online services.  They will gain their own reputations for trustworthiness.  You might even see your current bank offer Bitcoin facilities -- you'd already have a trust relationship with them.

The important thing about Bitcoins is that all of these options are available to you at your option; rather than (as we have with traditional currencies) being a necessity to enjoy the conveniences of modern life.  i.e. I have to have a bank account to receive my salary and to be able to pay my bills, or buy stuff online; one day Bitcoins will let me do these things without a bank.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:19:09 PM

Can anybody tell me the difference in storing your Bitcoins in a dedicated online wallet vs an exchange?

Similarities: They're both types of wallets.

Differences: You can't have fun making money in a dedicated online wallet.

Be humble!
CoolBitX

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 04:35:20 AM

Exchange site is not your wallet, it is an account of yours in exchange site owners' wallet.
In other words, your BTCs are in his wallet.

Web wallet allows you to create your own wallet on web server.
They are exposed to the internet environment, which can be risky.
Your BTC safety relies on the how well your web wallet provider protects their server.

Software wallet allows you to store your private keys/BTC in your own devices(PC/phones/tablets).
You have the full control and responsibility of keeping it safe.
Remember, when your devices are connected to the internet, it becomes risky, too.
Hackers have many methods of stealing your private keys/BTC, such as malware, Trojan, controlled WIFI, and many others.

Offline wallet/ cold storage allows you to store you private keys/BTC on a physical isolated device(away from the internet).
You have the full control and responsibility if keeping it safe as well.
The difference between offline wallet and other wallets is that it is much less likely to be hacked.

Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 05:19:15 AM

Although this is a recently neoarco'ed thread, I think it is very reliant as there are a lot of people who are trying significant amounts of money on exchanges.

With storing your bitcoin on an exchange you will always be at risk that the exchange operator will either run away with your money or be incompetent and end up loosing your money (see mtGox). You are essentially trusting the exchanage to properly keep track of your bitcoin balance which kind of goes against the principles of owing bitcoin in the first place. 
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2014, 05:31:11 AM

What confuses me is that you guys seem to have more trust in an exchange then a online wallet that is dedicated for storing your Bitcoins. For all you know, the online wallet might have better security than the exchange.

Can somebody give me some insight as to why this is?

You shouldn't group all exchanges and all online wallets together like that. I think you need to measure this metric on a company-by-company basis.
doubleredrolex

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

I Believe

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 08:55:56 AM

I keep most of mine off line. I keep a small amount on block chain.info and anything i have on exchanges is only what I trade alt coins with. I do not store BTC on exchanges. They get hacked all the time and look at the recent bullshit with Mintpal. They still have all our BTC locked up. Grrrr.
Nerazzura

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 08:46:40 AM

I prefer to save in exchange.
because there you have a lot of addresses automatically, not only for BTC.
 and, if you try to trade then you can play it directly without having to send from wallet charged
titulng

Activity: 484

HubrisOne

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 09:34:12 AM

Now many exchange also have the wallet feature, but any wallet providers not have trading feature

◆

▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄▄            ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██       ██      ██       ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄      ██      ▐██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▄▄██▀▀▀██▄▄        ▀██▄     ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀       ██      ██       ██              ██               ██      ██      ██              ██▀       ▀██         ██▄    ██      ▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██      ██       ██      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀      ██      ▐██▄▄▄▄        ▐█           █▌      █▄ ▀██   ██      ██▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██      ██       ██      ██▀▀▀▀▀██        ██▀▀▀▀▀▀        ██        ▀▀▀▀██▄      ▐█           █▌      ██   ██▄ ██      ██▀▀▀▀
██       ██      ██       ██      ██      ██       ██   ▄▄         ██             ▐█▌     ▐█▄         ▄█▌      ██    ▀█▄██      ██
██       ██       ██▄   ▄██       ██     ▄█▀       ██    ▀█▄       ██            ▄██       ▀██▄▄   ▄▄██▀       ██     ▀███      ██
██       ██        ▀▀███▀▀        ████████▀        ██      ▀█      ██      ███████▀           ▀▀███▀▀          ██       ██      ██████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████

▄███████████▄     
██▀       ▐█▀█▄   
██        ▐█  ▀█▄ 
██        ▐█    ▀█▄
██        ▝▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██               ██
██  ███████████  ██
██               ██
██  ██████       ██
██               ██
██▄             ▄██
▀█████████████████▀
WP

schutzhund

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 09:38:50 AM

You own the private keys like on blockchain or offline wallets like Qt but with exchanges like coinbase they hold it for you.
I prefer offline wallets like core, multibit etc
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2014, 09:42:43 AM

Well this should be clear:
You only own a Bitcoin if you have the private key of its address.

Thus if you hold BTC on an exchange you do not own them.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 03:30:50 PM

Well this should be clear:
You only own a Bitcoin if you have the private key of its address.

Thus if you hold BTC on an exchange you do not own them.

And you only WHOLLY own them if you're the only one with the privkey of the address. i.e. not the webwallet site, not the paper wallet gen site, not the chinese hacker who thinks your balance is too low to bother with right now.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 03:37:27 PM

Always do your own wallet when you can, unless you neeeeeed them on an exch for trading asap.

Don't just "leave" them sitting on an exch.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
james martin

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 03:44:53 PM

Coinbase provides web and mobile Bitcoin services. The mission of the founders is to provide Bitcoin value added products for consumers and merchants. Their users deal with the company rather than directly with the network. Coinbase is recognized as “the PayPal” of the Bitcoin Network.
El Emperador

Activity: 658

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 06:46:30 PM

Yes, it's real that many online wallets could be scam, as the most of the exchanges, but in several case online wallets are deterministic and allow users to backup and export their private keys, so they are quite safe.
Above all Blockchain.info wallet I think is the most secure online wallet, as well as it's the more used. So if blockchain.info will scam and disappear with the money, maybe the Bitcoin itself will die.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2014, 08:08:45 PM

Coinbase provides web and mobile Bitcoin services. The mission of the founders is to provide Bitcoin value added products for consumers and merchants. Their users deal with the company rather than directly with the network. Coinbase is recognized as “the PayPal” of the Bitcoin Network.
Coinbase is more like Joe's Cut-Rate Check Cashing next to the liquor store. Merchants don't keep money in Coinbase for more than a few hours. Bitcoins go in, and US dollars are deposited to the merchant's account that night.

You can keep money in Coinbase, but shouldn't.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 08:16:27 PM

It's nearly the same difference between having your cash in a current account at your bank, or in a safety deposit box underground. I remember once I wanted to withdraw a substantial sum from my current account, my very own money, and the teller told me I couldn't, because they don't handle large cash transactions. I had to come back each day for 4 days to split one large single transaction into smaller ones.

You'll have the same issue if you want to withdraw many BTC in one go from an exchange.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
MrGreenHat

Activity: 173
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 10:16:52 PM

Why are people posting responses to a thread that was created almost 3 and a half years ago?
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2014, 10:46:02 PM

Why are people posting responses to a thread that was created almost 3 and a half years ago?

At least the guy is getting his answer. Better late than never. lol  Wink
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 01:08:30 AM

No difference for me in terms of security whether i want to keep in online wallet or exchange. Maybe if i am a trader that trades frequently so it will be exchanges as i will have funds readily available anytime

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: