Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:46:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Token issuing  (Read 318 times)
cryptomartin (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 02:01:55 PM

Hi!
How people calculate the total supply of tokens when they create the token? Sometimes I see numbers like 1239893123 and it makes me feel that they are just randomly hit Cheesy Or it can be like that?
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 02:17:23 PM

Hi!
How people calculate the total supply of tokens when they create the token? Sometimes I see numbers like 1239893123 and it makes me feel that they are just randomly hit Cheesy Or it can be like that?

You can flip a coin if you cant decide.
Mostly people issue huge pile of tokens and keep even huger pile fro them self so marketcap of that token is high.
cryptomartin (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 02:23:30 PM

Hi!

You can flip a coin if you cant decide.
Mostly people issue huge pile of tokens and keep even huger pile fro them self so marketcap of that token is high.

Well, but isn't there some kind of maths under it? If I have a project that uses tokens as a currency to buy or sell something. I think I can't just flip a coin or hit random numbers.
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2017, 02:51:52 PM

the number is just coming out of one(s) ass so it don't mean much

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
marknowen

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 03:03:52 PM

There is really no rule. Most uneven numbers are a result of ICOs destroying tokens that are not sold in an ICO though.
cryptomartin (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 07:02:17 AM

Ok, but why then people often ask for a total supply of coins when there is an ICO?
DmitryN

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2017, 08:13:01 AM

It seems like market cap should be assessed in different way compared to traditional companies. Cryptotokens are not stocks and total supply multiplied by price of token is largely irrelevant to what what stocks represent in traditional company. It's definitely gives much less information about future potential of company, if any at all, and doesn't give the owner any possession rights in the company. Even if you have 51% of tokens of certain company it's quite unsubstantial and doesn't present any benefit unless there is demand for those tokens from some party.
Bottomline, number of tokens is largely irrelevant to anything business wise.
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 1208

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2017, 08:19:36 AM

Ok, but why then people often ask for a total supply of coins when there is an ICO?

I think it's important so people will know if this is going to be a pump and dump coin, some coins or token with huge supply tend to have problem with inflation and this is true token or coin with huge supply cannot go up to 10 sats especially those in billions.

cryptomartin (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 08:26:32 AM

I think it's important so people will know if this is going to be a pump and dump coin, some coins or token with huge supply tend to have problem with inflation and this is true token or coin with huge supply cannot go up to 10 sats especially those in billions.

So, best of all, is just the middle supply of about 5 - 200 millions?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: