Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:20:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about creating my own physical Bitcoin...  (Read 3603 times)
bdub

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 02:56:40 PM

Definitely interested in 1 BTC silver rounds!  The market needs competition.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:15:59 PM

How many quality firstbit addresses do you have? What will you do when you run out?
Around 15,000 is my best guesstimate.  I had around 25,000 that I purposefully "reserved", but as far as which ones of those are good firstbits, I'd guess around 15,000.  Maybe less, maybe more.  These include patterns like neat numbering sequences, letter sequences, english words, and various names.

When I run out?  Start a new series that isn't hinged upon firstbits...!

If I were sgtspike I'd sell those ones at a premium.

Mind you, forstbits have gone a bit out of fashion
They have, but there's no reason they can't go back into fashion again.  Wink

How many quality firstbit addresses do you have? What will you do when you run out?

1xxxxx and shorter are fairly easy to generate, I'm sure he can make more.
I can't make more if they are already taken.  I couldn't make two 1sexy coins, for instance, because the 1sexy firstbits would already be taken by the first one.  And I think most, if not all, 5 letter English words are already used in the blockchain at this point.

Thanks for the feedback!

I wonder if I could do a kickstarter to get this thing off the ground...  Hmmm...
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:22:02 PM

I wonder if I could do a kickstarter to get this thing off the ground...  Hmmm...

Go and try at the Bitcoin kickstarter.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:36:40 PM

You mean Bitcoinstarter.com?  Has anything ever been funded there?  I was under the impression it was still below "critical mass" to be useful.  Maybe I could run parallel campaigns on both kickstarter.com and bitcoinstarter.com, and let one pick up the slack on the other as needed.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:58:19 PM

You mean Bitcoinstarter.com?  Has anything ever been funded there?  I was under the impression it was still below "critical mass" to be useful.  Maybe I could run parallel campaigns on both kickstarter.com and bitcoinstarter.com, and let one pick up the slack on the other as needed.

Dammit, I meant to say, bitcoinstarter and kickstarter, silly me.

HowGudAmI

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

BTC --> ??? --> PROFIT

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:58:30 AM

Id buy into a kick-starter (preferable paying in bitcoin) if it guaranteed receipt of one of the first batch Cheesy

Smiley
HowGudAmI

BTC --> ??? --> PROFIT

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:54:49 AM

Bump? Really keen on this, but have you lost interest  Sad .

Smiley
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 05:21:56 PM

I'm still thinking about it.  I've been in talks about a partnership with someone else who is also interested in creating coins.  My biggest roadblock is funding, since I'd need around $6,000-$8,000 to make this a reality, and I just don't have that kind of money right now.
HowGudAmI

BTC --> ??? --> PROFIT

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:58:36 PM

I'm still thinking about it.  I've been in talks about a partnership with someone else who is also interested in creating coins.  My biggest roadblock is funding, since I'd need around $6,000-$8,000 to make this a reality, and I just don't have that kind of money right now.
Kickstarter!.

As I said, I would kickstart this kind of thing as long as a price was set at which the funding would lead to a physical coin!

Im sure many others would too!

Smiley
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:59:18 PM

It doesn't hurt to try, right?  Smiley

I'll see what I can do to get this going then..!
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 07:06:02 PM

Id buy into a kick-starter (preferable paying in bitcoin) if it guaranteed receipt of one of the first batch Cheesy

+1

I would also be interested in lower denominations (0.01, 0.05, 0.10) to send as gifts for holidays to my family to get them started in bitcoin.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Nightowlace

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 02:38:28 AM

I'm still thinking about it.  I've been in talks about a partnership with someone else who is also interested in creating coins.  My biggest roadblock is funding, since I'd need around $6,000-$8,000 to make this a reality, and I just don't have that kind of money right now.

Hey I just saw this. PM me your contact info. I already have the dies being made as we speak and the silver is on order. We go into production mid July early August. Lets talk and see where you fit in. Don't worry about money. This is already fully funded.
MagicBit15

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:51:51 PM

I would be interested. But a good idea to make a coin worth of cash value also is to gold plate it?

What ever happened to my oak coins!!  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
MagicBit15

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:53:02 PM

I love Casascius coins.  I think they are awesome, they deserve the attention they get, and I am now thinking about creating my own coins, similar in format to Casascius coins.

The big reason I want to do this is as a way to use some of the great firstbits addresses I have.  You could buy a coin with 1KILO on the back of it, and know that you can always look up the full address of that coin at blockchain.info (or firstbits.com when it is back up).  Or, buy a coin with 1KIRK on the back, redeem the coin by importing the private key into your Bitcoin client, and then use the address as your own (perfect if your name is Kirk?).

These coins would:
- have custom security level hologram on one side with private key behind it (~$5000 sunk fee)
- have elaborate design on the other side
- potentially have some sort of edging on the coin (like US quarters do)
- likely be 1.5" in size
- all be 1 BTC coins (1 BTC is held inside of the private key)
- all have premium firstbits addresses on them, such as 1SEXY, 1KIRK, 1KILO, 1STUD, 1MUSIC, 1AAAAA, etc

Decisions to be made:
- Design of hologram and coin face.
- Size of coin.
- Straight metal coin, or colored?
- Is 1 BTC too much or too little?
- NAME of the coin.

Your thoughts?  Would you be interested in such a coin?

<<<---- Collects Physical Bitcoins. Definitely keep us updated!! Interest I Am Of!!

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
cybrbeast

Activity: 93
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:32:48 PM

I made some imaginary Bitcoins for fun some time ago:

I was totally surprised when I was approached by btctrinkets who wanted to make physical versions of them for his store. I got the first two for free. They don't have any actual Bitcoin value though, and are just meant to be nice objects. I love their size and weight Smiley

Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:21:11 PM

I have been thinking of the same thing but came to the same conclusion that it needs $5k-$7k start up funds to get the proof made and the first batch of coins. The other big issue is trust. I suggest you think about spitting the addresses and using a second party so no one person has the private keys. Ultimately, trust in the person creating the private keys will be the biggest challenge to this endeavor. One way to do this is have a tamper-proof seal on both sides of the coin. One person attaches the first half on one side, ships it to the second party and they attach the other on the back. Then no one person has access to someone else's bitcoins.

A cheaper option is custion scratch off cards with the same concept but use a tamper-proof label on the back that you add to go with the factory sealed one on the front.

Another way to add trust to mass circulated physical bitcoins is to create/link a WOT online with a private code on each coin to verify the person who is giving it to you is generally trustworthy.
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 04:25:37 PM

I'm still thinking about it.  I've been in talks about a partnership with someone else who is also interested in creating coins.  My biggest roadblock is funding, since I'd need around $6,000-$8,000 to make this a reality, and I just don't have that kind of money right now.

I have been thinking of the same thing but came to the same conclusion that it needs $5k-$7k start up funds to get the proof made and the first batch of coins. The other big issue is trust. I suggest you think about spitting the addresses and using a second party so no one person has the private keys. Ultimately, trust in the person creating the private keys will be the biggest challenge to this endeavor. One way to do this is have a tamper-proof seal on both sides of the coin. One person attaches the first half on one side, ships it to the second party and they attach the other on the back. Then no one person has access to someone else's bitcoins.

A cheaper option is custion scratch off cards with the same concept but use a tamper-proof label on the back that you add to go with the factory sealed one on the front.

Another way to add trust to mass circulated physical bitcoins is to create/link a WOT online with a private code on each coin to verify the person who is giving it to you is generally trustworthy.

Guys,
Please start a kickstarter project, I am in and I would imagine that allot of other people would be too.

Edit: Or create a btct.co project and we can invest that way as well.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 04:30:37 PM

Please expect our offering into this market of fine silver and gold bitcoin pieces shortly as well.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
atomium
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 06:04:21 PM

it would be cool to see another type of coin out there, casascious coins are nice but hes the only one manufacturing them
Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 06:33:30 PM

Does anyone know where we could get blank silver 1/2oz or 10gram coins for close to spot? That might be a good size to work with.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: