Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:21:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about creating my own physical Bitcoin...  (Read 3603 times)
Chainsaw

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:40:14 PM

Spike - my apologies, I hadn't fully thought through #-of-unique-addresses-per-firstbit.
It was an attempt to segment releases, using your idea, so there was a limited history, and an easy way to know chronology.
Perhaps you could achieve the same effect like so:

Name each release by the name of the single, special firstbit. That coin is always mint #1 of the series.
In this example, you'd take your 100 bidders, and the single, highest bid would get the 1music coin, of the 1music series.

The important thing is the general incentivization structure that lets you pre-collect funds, while protecting both buyer and seller in case you don't get enough funds.

I'd jump on NewLiberty's expertise, as well as anyone else willing to chip in.
There are a lot of unique skills necessary to pull this off, but this is a GREAT opportunity to crowdsource those skills.

I'm really glad this is moving forward with so much promise.  Nail down a kickass design for the coin, and you should be golden.

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:48:58 PM

That's not a bad idea chainsaw, I'll certainly consider it!

I've been talking to a few people and gathering additional advice, etc from various people.  Good stuff, and it certainly gives me better bearings on what all will need to go in to making this a reality.  I don't believe it is too complex a project, just time consuming.  Should be well worth it though.

Speaking of design... is there any additional input with regards to improving the design I posted?  I didn't end up getting a whole lot of feedback on that.

@NewLiberty - I appreciate you supporting this project!  Engraving is not required - if nothing else, I can always print the firstbits on the hologram rather than engrave it into the coin.  I'll send you a PM.
data_teks

Activity: 267
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:18:25 PM

The only thing that could hurt this whole situation is relying on pre-orders from this forum to pay for everything. Even if you collect the funds, you're still looking at a minimum 4-6 weeks turn around before your coins are even minted and shipped from most companies (I've checked).  Then you got to have the holograms created.  So now you got to put everything together and ship them which will be quite time consuming as well especially since I'm assuming you have a day job. (this won't pay the bills for awhile).

Not saying it can't work, but people are looking at least 2+ months to receive their coins after a successful funding; this is also assuming everything goes perfect on the manufacturing end that is out of your control. Due to such a long wait, you would almost have to keep 1 BTC from every pre-sale to fund your 1 BTC coins as you never know what the price of BTC will be in 2-3 months after you've funded your project here. So now your stuck with having to raise enough money from the little extra btc of every presale, which means you need lots of presales; might pose a problem.

I just see to many post on these forums where people jump to conclusions and any delay on your end might have some people trying to label you a scammer and give you a bad name before you can even get your coins out; could be the death of your business before it even starts.  For those reasons, I believe it's best to just bootstrap this (or most of it) and get it all done behind the scenes away from this forum but remain active in the community.  But if you do decide to do it, I would definitely do it quick before some scammer reads all these post about people wanting to throw their money at a preorder of a physical coin and runs off with peoples' money.  Because after that, good luck trying to get enough pre-orders for a project like this. Undecided
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 11:26:00 PM

any chance of making small denominations?

0.01, 0.05, 0.10?
I was thinking about 1 BTC, 500 mBTC, and 100 mBTC.  I could go smaller to 50 mBTC and 10 mBTC, but the cost would have to be much higher than the face value to make them viable.  On the 10 mBTC piece, I'd have to charge around 45mBTC per coin just to cover variable costs, and the final price would likely be much higher than that.  But, I am still looking at various coin minters - I may be able to find a lower cost minter.

So, I think it is a definite possibility to go down to at least 100 mBTC, and possibly 50 mBTC.  I don't know that 10 mBTC is practical at this point though.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback, having smaller denominations like this really helps to spread the word about these things.

Sure I could buy 10 Casascious coins but that would cost me $1000+ USD. I would love to be able to buy $100.00 of .05 BTC coins to send to my friends, family, holiday gifts etc.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:26:18 PM

Thanks for the advice data_teks.  As I said, it would take around 150 coins preordered at 1.4 BTC/ea to cover the fixed and variable costs (including funding the coins).  I am not sure I could generate that much in pre-orders, but it is so hard to tell how much of a market is out there!  I might just create a quick market survey to find out.

I really wish I had the funding to just bootstrap it myself.  I mean, I could if I took out some debt, but I really don't have any room in my budget to support debt payments.  We're a single-income family with college loans, a mortgage, and all of that, there's just not that much room there.  Still looking around for whatever options present themselves.  I've spoken with a few people interested in investing, but haven't had any satisfactory deals work out on that end either.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:27:11 PM

any chance of making small denominations?

0.01, 0.05, 0.10?
I was thinking about 1 BTC, 500 mBTC, and 100 mBTC.  I could go smaller to 50 mBTC and 10 mBTC, but the cost would have to be much higher than the face value to make them viable.  On the 10 mBTC piece, I'd have to charge around 45mBTC per coin just to cover variable costs, and the final price would likely be much higher than that.  But, I am still looking at various coin minters - I may be able to find a lower cost minter.

So, I think it is a definite possibility to go down to at least 100 mBTC, and possibly 50 mBTC.  I don't know that 10 mBTC is practical at this point though.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback, having smaller denominations like this really helps to spread the word about these things.

Sure I could buy 10 Casascious coins but that would cost me $1000+ USD. I would love to be able to buy $100.00 of .05 BTC coins to send to my friends, family, holiday gifts etc.
Yep, that makes sense!  I'll try to target a small denomination on a cheap coin (but still secured by the best security hologram I can buy) for those sorts of purposes.
felix123

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:30:32 AM

My thoughts on the design: Having the Americas on the obverse might be too American-centric? (Although you would have the other countries on the back they are smaller.) The binary goes on the edge of the coins? And have it say something else? Maybe a different font that gives more of a feeling of "safety", "security", "trust"?

Would definitely be interested if you make it look good and be secure. Around B1.4 would be better because a Casascius coin is B1.6 retail now.
data_teks

Activity: 267
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:53:11 AM

Well casascius coins bring that kind of markup because Mike's reputation and trust has earned it. Any new coin will have a long road ahead of it in order to be as successful as casacius coins; it can and I believe it will be done though.

As for the design, I wouldn't worry about it to much. You only have 1 competitor and to be honest, his 1 BTC coins are kind of "ehh" to me.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:02:15 AM

My thoughts on the design: Having the Americas on the obverse might be too American-centric? (Although you would have the other countries on the back they are smaller.) The binary goes on the edge of the coins? And have it say something else? Maybe a different font that gives more of a feeling of "safety", "security", "trust"?

Would definitely be interested if you make it look good and be secure. Around B1.4 would be better because a Casascius coin is B1.6 retail now.
Ok, I'll change it from the americas to something else.  Just hard to find other views of the earth with CC licensing in a format that can easily be changed to what I want.  But it will be done!  Mosty, I just want to be sure that it is easily recognizable as the earth, even when partially obscured by lettering, etc.

Binary on the edge of the coin is an interesting idea, or maybe even something else on the coin edge.  I was thinking of even just doing a basic rough edge like you would find on a US quarter.

I didn't even change from the default font, not knowing what might look good.  Any suggestions on a specific font I could try?
btceic

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 02:15:38 AM

Ok, I'll change it from the americas to something else.  Just hard to find other views of the earth with CC licensing in a format that can easily be changed to what I want.  But it will be done!  Mosty, I just want to be sure that it is easily recognizable as the earth, even when partially obscured by lettering, etc.

Binary on the edge of the coin is an interesting idea, or maybe even something else on the coin edge.  I was thinking of even just doing a basic rough edge like you would find on a US quarter.

I didn't even change from the default font, not knowing what might look good.  Any suggestions on a specific font I could try?

This may sound cheap but have you tried fivver.com yet for ideas on design? Just $5.00 each.

I know this may come off as sounding harsh but the design that I saw a few pages back is hideous, please reconsider it.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
felix123

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:17:17 AM

There's quite a few CC vector images in Wikimedia, maybe one will be helpful for you?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/World_map_with_points.svg/603px-World_map_with_points.svg.png

btceic

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 02:24:51 AM

There's quite a few CC vector images in Wikimedia, maybe one will be helpful for you?

Actually, I take back my original comment, don't use fivver.com.

In fact don't go with CC either, spend some real money on a real designer and this thing will go much much further.

There is a reason why some gold and silver coins always fetch a premium, this is what you should be aiming for.

Don't go cheap, you will regret it!

Also consider this, you are the second person ever to create a physical bitcoin, how do you want to be remembered?

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 02:59:54 AM

Thanks for the advice data_teks.  As I said, it would take around 150 coins preordered at 1.4 BTC/ea to cover the fixed and variable costs (including funding the coins).  I am not sure I could generate that much in pre-orders, but it is so hard to tell how much of a market is out there!  I might just create a quick market survey to find out.

I really wish I had the funding to just bootstrap it myself.  I mean, I could if I took out some debt, but I really don't have any room in my budget to support debt payments.  We're a single-income family with college loans, a mortgage, and all of that, there's just not that much room there.  Still looking around for whatever options present themselves.  I've spoken with a few people interested in investing, but haven't had any satisfactory deals work out on that end either.

Put me down for 10 of the first 150.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:06:50 AM

This may sound cheap but have you tried fivver.com yet for ideas on design? Just $5.00 each.

I know this may come off as sounding harsh but the design that I saw a few pages back is hideous, please reconsider it.
Hey, I'll take criticism!  Criticism is good.

Certainly, the design on the prior page is not meant to be a final design - I will fully admit that I am no graphic design guru!  From what I gather, most mints have graphic designers on-hand to help with designing a great-looking coin, so those will likely be the professionals I turn to.  But, if you have any specific suggestions for improving my rough-draft design, I would love to hear them.  Smiley

Put me down for 10 of the first 150.
Thanks, I will!
Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:33:42 PM

Here is a link that might help someone design a more accurate map. Regardless of what is in the center, it would be nice if the map had more realistic (equitable) proportions. http://www.petersmap.com/
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:48:01 PM

Here is a link that might help someone design a more accurate map. Regardless of what is in the center, it would be nice if the map had more realistic (equitable) proportions. http://www.petersmap.com/
Thanks for the suggestion!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: