Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:00:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Connect R9 295x2 to hp-pro-3400-core-i3-2120 with 4 GB ram  (Read 501 times)
realediston (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 100

Earn it

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 08:17:03 PM

Hi

I have 'Radeon-R9-295x2'  https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/sapphire/radeon-r9-295x2-ethereum-mining/
 and I have a CPU: https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pro-3400-core-i3-2120-3-3-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/#p=hp-pro-3400-core-i3-2120-3-3-ghz-4-gb-500-gb-lh122eaabh/

My goal is to connect these two and mine Ethereum. Please some can help me if this is even possible to do?
If yes.. what else do I need ?

Best regards,
Edi

antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 09:56:07 PM

Gold rated 1000w psu will do it.

USE SEPARATE CABLES FROM PSU TO GPU!!!
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 10:19:55 PM

HP manufactures so much proprietary shit that can't be replaced, make sure the mobo uses connectors that the PSU actually supplies and the PSU is not SFX or something odd. Then replace the PSU, make sure the 295x2 actually fits (big problem!) and put it in. You may need to cut some plastic out of the case to do it. Also make sure there are fan slots to mount the liquid cooler and that you can fit that as well.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 12:26:17 AM

I suspect you are going to have to pull the MB out of the case to get a R9 295X2 card to fit on the MB - and you should PLAN to replace the power supply, there is no way HP put on in that machine with enough power to power your GPU.

Do you already have the GPU itself?

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
realediston (OP)

Earn it

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 10:41:10 AM

Thank you so much for the replies guys.

QuintLeo

I suspect you are going to have to pull the MB out of the case to get a R9 295X2 card to fit on the MB - and you should PLAN to replace the power supply, there is no way HP put on in that machine with enough power to power your GPU.
 Do you already have the GPU itself?

Yes, I have the GPU. What is MB ?

leowonderful
HP manufactures so much proprietary shit that can't be replaced, make sure the mobo uses connectors that the PSU actually supplies and the PSU is not SFX or something odd. Then replace the PSU, make sure the 295x2 actually fits (big problem!) and put it in. You may need to cut some plastic out of the case to do it. Also make sure there are fan slots to mount the liquid cooler and that you can fit that as well.

what is mobo, looks like  '295x2' is too big to fit.... can I do this?

antantti
Gold rated 1000w psu will do it.

USE SEPARATE CABLES FROM PSU TO GPU!!!

What does 'SEPARATE CABLES' mean?

leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 11:49:07 AM

Mobo is the motherboard. If it is too big, see what's in the way. If it is a sort of drive bay for HDDs and you don't need to use it or it is empty, you can cut it off with a saw and it should work. If that doesn't work you can always cut out the back IO shield on the case (don't recommend) and it may fit, albeit sticking out if it even does.
antantti
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 11:58:42 AM

295x2 has only two 8-pin power connectors, it can pull 600w from the wall. Single 8+8 pin pcie cable will melt so you need to use two separate 8-pin pcie power cables from Power Supply Unit to Graphics Processing Unit.
realediston (OP)

Earn it

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 04:10:38 PM

295x2 has only two 8-pin power connectors, it can pull 600w from the wall. Single 8+8 pin pcie cable will melt so you need to use two separate 8-pin pcie power cables from Power Supply Unit to Graphics Processing Unit.

Oh so I definitely have to buy a power supply?

Best regards
Edi

goccat

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 05:29:03 PM

Best regards
Edi

You will definitely want to invest in a 850w gold supply minimum for only that gpu. The commentary about dual PCIE power is one born of safety but in my experience it is not necessary. I've been riding a 295x2 for a good little while and with relatively effective tuning you should be able to reduce its power to ~475w at the wall in dual mining mode.

When you're not tuned, it will rip well up to 675w in dual mode.
antantti
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 05:57:32 PM

You will definitely want to invest in a 850w gold supply minimum for only that gpu. The commentary about dual PCIE power is one born of safety but in my experience it is not necessary. I've been riding a 295x2 for a good little while and with relatively effective tuning you should be able to reduce its power to ~475w at the wall in dual mining mode.

True, if you know what you are doing it can be driven with a single cable.

There are algos that are even more power hungry than dual mining, last time my hawaii's have been in dagger was in march...
goccat

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 08:02:23 PM

True, if you know what you are doing it can be driven with a single cable.

There are algos that are even more power hungry than dual mining, last time my hawaii's have been in dagger was in march...

I'm 9 parts hardware enthusiast 1 part entry-level miner. What algo are you chasing at this point and why given the absolute explosion during that time period would you have diverted?
realediston (OP)

Earn it

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 06:49:33 AM

Best regards
Edi

Hi

cool. Can you tell me which PSU are you using, please.

Also, is the motherboad good enough

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: