Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:23:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to do large transaction, quick, sans fees?  (Read 487 times)
x86Daddy (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 10:02:51 PM

I'm considering making a local, in-person exchange for a few hundred BTC... If using the Schildebach Android client and no third parties, about how long would such a transaction take to get good confirmations nowadays?

Is there a third party site with instant confirm that charges little to nothing and is trustworthy enough to use as a temporary wallet for such large sums?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 10:04:05 PM

I'm considering making a local, in-person exchange for a few hundred BTC... If using the Schildebach Android client and no third parties, about how long would such a transaction take to get good confirmations nowadays?

10 minutes for 1 confirmation. 1 hour for 6 ones.
x86Daddy (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 10:12:14 PM

10 minutes for 1 confirmation. 1 hour for 6 ones.
Thanks!  This inclines me towards a scenario of show product, agree to purchase, do any preliminaries and exchange BTC, and then treat the other party to a meal while we wait for some confirmations.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:48:36 AM

Is there a third party site with instant confirm that charges little to nothing and is trustworthy enough to use as a temporary wallet for such large sums?

Yes.  I can think of two options in such a scenario.

First you could use localbitcoins.com transaction service at a fee of 1% to set up the transaction.  The bitcoin sender would act as a "seller", and the bitcoin receiver would act as a "buyer" (using the product they have to buy bitcoins, instead of using dollars).

The bitcoin sender would send the bitcoins to the localbitcoins.com transaction address ahead of time (they could always just cancel the transaction to get their bitcoins back if the deal falls through).  They when you meet and exchange the product, the bitcoin sender would send the release code to localbitcoins.com.  localbitcoins.com would then notify the bitcoin receiver that the funds are released, and the would be immediately available to the receiver.  No need to wait for confirmations to ensure that the transaction is irreversible.

If you don't want to pay the 1% fee to use localbitcoins.com, you could just contact a trusted member of the bitcointalk.org community to hold the funds in escrow. There are several people here who would be willing to hold escrow in a situation like this and wouldn't charge anything (although they'd appreciate what every you're willing to offer as a gratuity at the successful completion of the transaction.
x86Daddy (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:55:29 PM

Thanks; I've registered on LocalBitCoins and I like their instant transaction model...  the 1% might be worth it.  Are people happy with their trustworthiness?  Has anyone used them for very large sums?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:32:50 PM

Thanks; I've registered on LocalBitCoins and I like their instant transaction model...  the 1% might be worth it.  Are people happy with their trustworthiness?  Has anyone used them for very large sums?

The largest sum I've used the localbitcoins service for was $3000 (38.4024 BTC at the time).

I've never had an issue with them yet.
BTCoder

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:36:46 PM

Yes.  I can think of two options in such a scenario.

First you could use localbitcoins.com transaction service at a fee of 1% to set up the transaction.  The bitcoin sender would act as a "seller", and the bitcoin receiver would act as a "buyer" (using the product they have to buy bitcoins, instead of using dollars).

The bitcoin sender would send the bitcoins to the localbitcoins.com transaction address ahead of time (they could always just cancel the transaction to get their bitcoins back if the deal falls through).  They when you meet and exchange the product, the bitcoin sender would send the release code to localbitcoins.com.  localbitcoins.com would then notify the bitcoin receiver that the funds are released, and the would be immediately available to the receiver.  No need to wait for confirmations to ensure that the transaction is irreversible.

If you don't want to pay the 1% fee to use localbitcoins.com, you could just contact a trusted member of the bitcointalk.org community to hold the funds in escrow. There are several people here who would be willing to hold escrow in a situation like this and wouldn't charge anything (although they'd appreciate what every you're willing to offer as a gratuity at the successful completion of the transaction.

ugg it costs so much for fees now in BTC.. I remember how cheap it use to be. The sad part is it will only keep getting more expensive.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: