Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:30:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My day just took a turn for the worst  (Read 1191 times)
bustabitsboy (OP)

Activity: 318
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 04:01:04 PM

i was having a lovely cup of coffee, when i scrolled through the recent threads and i saw something cryptsy, and then it hit me. i had nearly 20 ltc stashed in there from nearly 2 years ago. Dam how i wish i withdrew those Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vivisector999

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 04:36:54 PM

I know the feeling.  I lost around 20 LTC, about 80,000 DOGE, and piles of other coins on Cryptsy.

Oh Well... Lesson learned about not saving things on an online exchange.  For me anyways.

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
psiksenz

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 04:58:28 PM

i was having a lovely cup of coffee, when i scrolled through the recent threads and i saw something cryptsy, and then it hit me. i had nearly 20 ltc stashed in there from nearly 2 years ago. Dam how i wish i withdrew those Cheesy

What happened to cryptsy?  Thats bad luck if you've lost those, the worst I've lost is 28 namecoin that was delisted on cex.io.  Hope you've got other good coins in your portfolio, make another cup of coffee and think about those Wink

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    40 PUBLIC AIRDROPS COMPLETED    TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
Vivisector999

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 06:29:57 PM

Cryptsy went under about 1.5 years ago.  He claimed that the main wallet for the site was hacked, so he had to close down.  Others say he ran with the profits.  Either way, pretty sure I won't be seeing any of my missing coins again.  If you joined in the class action lawsuit, you might see something yet.

bustabitsboy (OP)

Activity: 318
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 06:36:49 PM

Cryptsy went under about 1.5 years ago.  He claimed that the main wallet for the site was hacked, so he had to close down.  Others say he ran with the profits.  Either way, pretty sure I won't be seeing any of my missing coins again.  If you joined in the class action lawsuit, you might see something yet.
20 ltc is like what, 800$ if that. i doubt its worthy joining a class action lawsuit

ArachAttack

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 06:52:38 PM

20 ltc is like what, 800$ if that. i doubt its worthy joining a class action lawsuit

Number is a strenght in this case...
concept2

Activity: 750
Merit: 258

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 07:08:53 PM

I have not heard about cryptsy before. Was it a big exchange? I can not believe that an exchange can turn into a scammer after one night. Damn. If we can not trust the exchange, how can we trade our coin and make profit with it? how can we buy other cryptocurrencies without an exchange?
ZoranGajic

Activity: 29

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 07:21:42 PM

That's bad! I personally know a guy that lost all his savings for the same reason. On the other hand I don't know how to feel about my "mistake". I had a chance to buy 10k bitcoins for around 100 USD years ago when the price was something like 0.01$ for a bitcoin but my friend failed to convince me into buying... We went to Mcdonald's instead LOL :')

I know this doesn't mean anything. Actually buying them and then losing to exchange fail or lost wallet or whatever, is much much worse! But I will never forget that day. We were checking forums on the topic for hours, discussing and thinking about it and it all seemed to me that bitcoin is something that simply won't work. *BIG SELF SLAP*

Of course I changed my complete belief system... I am now a changed man :p

-.-
Vivisector999

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 07:45:14 PM

Ouch, yeah that would suck as well.

As for the other question.  Cryptsy about 2 years ago was pretty much the largest altcoin exchange.  Not on the levels of the large BTC exchanges.  But it would be similar to what Bittrex or Poloniex is now.

Here this should answer it best.

http://www.coindesk.com/cryptsy-ceo-millions-digital-currency-steal/

magnetique

Activity: 166

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 08:29:07 PM

It was largest in mumber of altcoins as on cryptsy you could find many coins, also exotic ones
I was using it on that time but not liked it, it always looked very crappy
also kept some coins there but some shit ones, which even don't exist today so no loss for me
psiksenz

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 09:05:42 PM

Damn that sucks, the American based exchanges these days are under maximum scrutiny, governments gotta have their pound of flesh ;P  I really should start storing my coins in my own wallets, my entire portfolio in spread over a few exchanges.  Well I have some loose change in my wallets, but thats it.  Not the safest plan I know!

▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 09:34:42 PM

I have not heard about cryptsy before. Was it a big exchange? I can not believe that an exchange can turn into a scammer after one night. Damn. If we can not trust the exchange, how can we trade our coin and make profit with it? how can we buy other cryptocurrencies without an exchange?
Cryptsy was not that big of an exchange but it was a really good one when it was still up. This story is pretty usual in cryptoworld so don't trust any exchange in storing your coins but still you can trade and make profit with it. Just remember that if you plan to hold long term, put it into a safe wallet that you control/ own the private key of the specific wallet.
AlwaysInna

Activity: 4

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 07:45:39 PM

That's bad! I personally know a guy that lost all his savings for the same reason. On the other hand I don't know how to feel about my "mistake". I had a chance to buy 10k bitcoins for around 100 USD years ago when the price was something like 0.01$ for a bitcoin but my friend failed to convince me into buying... We went to Mcdonald's instead LOL :')

I know this doesn't mean anything. Actually buying them and then losing to exchange fail or lost wallet or whatever, is much much worse! But I will never forget that day. We were checking forums on the topic for hours, discussing and thinking about it and it all seemed to me that bitcoin is something that simply won't work. *BIG SELF SLAP*

-.-

Well... your friend has it way worse if he found a buyer! lol

Forgive yourself & live life Smiley I regret selling $ATVI at $37 a share last year (at 85% profit)! It broke $61 yesterday, could have 300% profit just by holding longer... Ok, nothing compared to what some altcoin holders made, but it just feels worse because I did own the shares.

Same for your friend, he actually had them in his pocket, imagine his paaaain now.
psiksenz

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 07:41:48 PM

-.-

Well... your friend has it way worse if he found a buyer! lol

Forgive yourself & live life Smiley I regret selling $ATVI at $37 a share last year (at 85% profit)! It broke $61 yesterday, could have 300% profit just by holding longer... Ok, nothing compared to what some altcoin holders made, but it just feels worse because I did own the shares.

Same for your friend, he actually had them in his pocket, imagine his paaaain now.

87% is still a great return on most markets and its difficult to call the top.  You never know, you might be able to buy in again under $37 if theres a major dip to come, not sure if its due for any correction though.

Willitivity

Activity: 1190
Merit: 256

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 09:13:28 PM

Ooh, sorry for your loss mate
In this world of Crypto trading, things can get pretty messy atimes.
Once had such a horrible experience, but had to live over it and put it in the past
Just focus on the brighter side, things will get better.
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 05:50:50 AM

Lesson learned, that's why don't storing your coin into online wallet or exchange wallet, use for exchange only.
I have same situation and I know that feel when your coins lose, in my case mintpal took my coin, they claimed got DDoS attack and suddenly they balance runs out, I have btc and some altcoin there, they gave me back my btc but the rest of altcoin is gone. In this case I got lesson learned, and be more careful to make a transaction for every trade.
kelceyott

Activity: 192

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 02:59:19 AM

I know the feeling.  I lost around 20 LTC, about 80,000 DOGE, and piles of other coins on Cryptsy.

Oh Well... Lesson learned about not saving things on an online exchange.  For me anyways.
I understand the feeling of losing something. Losing money is worse and sadder. Me too when I participate in a hard-working, bitcoin-hard-working campaign to make money, but when the bitcoin costs are low I am very sad, sometimes want to quit the bitcoin campaign.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: