Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:13:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-07-13] You can't buy much online with bitcoin, says report  (Read 6672 times)
BurstIncomeAsset (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 511

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 12:33:15 PM

If you've stumbled onto a stash of bitcoins and want to do some online shopping, the bad news is you probably won't be buying much.

This year, the cryptocurrency is only accepted by three out of the top 500 online merchants, reports Bloomberg. That's down from five from last year, making using Bitcoin to buy things from merchants a lot tougher.

The lack of merchants is puzzling, given the gains from bitcoins recently -- one bitcoin is worth more than an ounce of gold -- and may be a sign that the cryptocurrency is better off as an asset than currency.

The Bloomberg report also mentioned that transaction fees could be an issue why the crytocurrency is not widely accepted. With fees climbing, smaller transactions aren't worth it compared to using other payment methods.

https://www.cnet.com/news/you-cant-really-shop-much-online-with-bitcoin-says-report/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eaLiTy

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911

Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 08:53:55 PM

I am not too worried with this news as i am not into bitcoin to purchase things and i do consider it as an asset class but if i am having the capability to purchase things with it ,then it is great,i am happy about it,the price of one bitcoin is worth more than an ounce of gold does not mean that it can be considered only as an asset because we can divide one bitcoin into units,so it is not a big issue. Wink
Baofeng
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1658

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 08:11:05 AM

I am not too worried with this news as i am not into bitcoin to purchase things and i do consider it as an asset class but if i am having the capability to purchase things with it ,then it is great,i am happy about it,the price of one bitcoin is worth more than an ounce of gold does not mean that it can be considered only as an asset because we can divide one bitcoin into units,so it is not a big issue. Wink

I agree. Currently, bitcoin is not meant to do micro transaction because of couple of reasons. Namely high transaction fee and slow confirmation time and of course the volatility of price. That's why bitcoin is now used as investment instrument by most people. Bitcoin has still a long future ahead and maybe one day we gonna see that it will be universally accepted as payment method.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 08:33:02 AM

What are the things that you can't buy? I personally haven't find any issues buying anything. If you want to buy anything from Amazon, there is purse.io, If you are buying from eBay then buy their gift cards from gyft or somewhere else and redeem them and buy, If you want to buy games there is Steam and G2A, If you want to use a reship company there is Shipito, a hosting plan? Vultr.com, recharging your phone? Bitrefill and the list goes on and on. The fees are also back to normal, It's simply that people still using high fees or their wallets are not doing the necessary updates.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 09:05:08 AM

There are now many ways we can use Bitcoin to purchase online. But what is happening is that many Bitcoin holders are still holding their hoard of Bitcoin in anticipation of a surge of value especially after August 1. Now, there are those who are converting their Bitcoin to altcoins and there are those who prefer to get the fiat equivalent.

As a currency, we should expect volatility and speculation to be a part of the traits for Bitcoin and they are serving Bitcoin well for some years now. But these traits can also turn off many merchants, making them like a two-edged sword.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 06:22:56 PM

I was just reading an article where Morgan Stanley was stating that due to this drop in the top 500 merchant acceptance, Bitcoin acceptance has basically dropped to zero, and is heading down even deeper.... On the other hand, that article did include some worthwhile info, where they are mainly referring to Bitcoin being a speculative asset rather than a tool people are using to settle purchases. That part I can definitely agree with. I personally have never seen full value in Bitcoin as currency solution, due to the ongoing volatility. We just have to admit that fiat is doing its job well in that aspect.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: