Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:55:37 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: gpu bubble well and truly bursting  (Read 23727 times)
kopija

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 05:19:09 PM

That rig will easily give you 168 MH/s on ETH

For how many days you have the 168 MH/s on ETH and by when you have 100 MH/s left? In few weeks? Smiley

Spoken like a true clueless Nvidia fan boy that's bad at math! You don't understand the epoch problem. I think you need to watch this video to understand what is going on with the RX 4XX/5XX epcoh hash drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQE9WdhupAg

Bottom line is the ETH epoch will be in the 160's by the end of the year and probably less if the block times keep increasing. By then if nothing is done to resolve the issue, the Claymore benchmarks show about a 25% hash drop by epoch 160, which in my own tests, I found the Claymore benchmarks to be overstating the actual hash drop from epoch changes.

The bigger and more relevant issue is at the latest ETH dev meeting last Friday, it was stated they have no plans to address the the increase in block times and difficulty due to the ongoing programmed ICE AGE before the Metropolis POW/POS hybrid release due by November this year. This means at the current price, ETH will no longer be profitable to mine for most people by the end of August once the difficulty retargets as programmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQg_lHEKl4&t=2520s

The ICE AGE affects ALL ETH miners, ESPECIALLY Nvidia ETH miners, since they are ALREADY much less efficient at mining ETH compared to the AMD cards that cost less than half. I get watching smart people that didn't over pay for their GPU's making more money than those that spent the same amount and are making less must suck!

You must be a Ethereum fanboy if you believe anything Vitalik and his cohorts publicly say.
How about this newsflash
https://themerkle.com/ethereum-developers-contemplate-delaying-difficulty-bomb-by-another-1-4-years/
They obviously are a confused bunch, contradicting themselves.

we are nothing but a smart contracts on a cosmic blockchain
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 06:19:32 PM

I completely agree with you.

There are way too many NVIDIA fan-boys who are always "Seeking Approval" to justify their purchase by bashing AMD left and right.

This DAG issue is very minor like I explained over and over and over again. Every 6-7 days the DAG file slows down the GPU by 0.5%, but every 6-7 days the difficulty goes up by almost 20%.

Hamstead

Activity: 805

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 07:20:52 PM

There are way too many NVIDIA fan-boys who are always "Seeking Approval" to justify their purchase by bashing AMD left and right.

This DAG issue is very minor like I explained over and over and over again. Every 6-7 days the DAG file slows down the GPU by 0.5%, but every 6-7 days the difficulty goes up by almost 20%.

nVidia is good for the miner with high electricity price.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 07:34:22 PM

nVidia is good for the miner with high electricity price.

Right now even if you have high electricity price you would still make good money with AMD GPUs.

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 08:35:26 PM

For how many days you have the 168 MH/s on ETH and by when you have 100 MH/s left? In few weeks? Smiley

Spoken like a true clueless Nvidia fan boy that's bad at math! You don't understand the epoch problem. I think you need to watch this video to understand what is going on with the RX 4XX/5XX epcoh hash drop.

Bottom line is the ETH epoch will be in the 160's by the end of the year and probably less if the block times keep increasing. By then if nothing is done to resolve the issue, the Claymore benchmarks show about a 25% hash drop by epoch 160, which in my own tests, I found the Claymore benchmarks to be overstating the actual hash drop from epoch changes.

The bigger and more relevant issue is at the latest ETH dev meeting last Friday, it was stated they have no plans to address the the increase in block times and difficulty due to the ongoing programmed ICE AGE before the Metropolis POW/POS hybrid release due by November this year. This means at the current price, ETH will no longer be profitable to mine for most people by the end of August once the difficulty retargets as programmed.

The ICE AGE affects ALL ETH miners, ESPECIALLY Nvidia ETH miners, since they are ALREADY much less efficient at mining ETH compared to the AMD cards that cost less than half. I get watching smart people that didn't over pay for their GPU's making more money than those that spent the same amount and are making less must suck!

You must be a Ethereum fanboy if you believe anything Vitalik and his cohorts publicly say.
How about this newsflash
https://themerkle.com/ethereum-developers-contemplate-delaying-difficulty-bomb-by-another-1-4-years/

How is that news? The developers already said they plan on a POW/POS hybrid for the Metropolis release due before November 6th of this year, which that article doesn't even mention. The switch to POS was planned for a second hard fork contingent on how the hybrid fork went, sometime next year. The article is just speculating on how long the switch to full POS is going to take. Also according to that article, the ICE AGE difficulty adjustment won't happen until the end of next year. ETH mining won't be profitable in the next two months unless they do something to diffuse the ICE AGE difficulty retarget.

The talk at the developer meeting was adjusting the block times so that network transactions won't be affected and the miner block reward so they stay at the same number of tokens per second as they are now once they defuse the difficulty bomb at the same time they release Metropolis before November.
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 08:44:13 PM

How about this newsflash

How is that news? The developers already said they plan on a POW/POS hybrid for the Metropolis release due before November 6th of this year, which that article doesn't even mention. The switch to POS was planned for a second hard fork contingent on how the hybrid fork went, sometime next year. The article is just speculating on how long that switch is going to take, which according to the article the ICE AGE difficulty adjustment won't happen until the end of next year. ETH mining won't be profitable in the next two months unless they do something to diffuse the ICE AGE difficulty retarget.

The talk at the developer meeting was adjusting the block times so that network transactions won't be affected and the miner block reward so they stay at the same number of tokens per second as they are now once they defuse the difficulty bomb at the same time they release Metropolis before November.

Don't worry they will fork before it gets too frosty,

And people just like to talk smack about Vitalik, makes em feel cool.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 09:51:42 PM

Where does it say POS will start with Metropolis? Isn't POS hybrid going to start in Serenity/Casper at end of 2017, first quarter 2018?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 10:29:11 PM

Some of us run both, and know the strengths AND WEAKNESSES of both.

If AMD pricing and availability hadn't gone crazy the last 2-3 months, AMD would overall be the hands-down winner for most mining (ZEC would still be strong for NVidia, and certain small-cap coins are traditionally NVidia dominated because AMD *can't* compete on them).

Since it has though, NVidia RIGHT NOW is quite competative on most coins.

As I recall, Metropolis was supposed to introduce a 1% POS / 99% POW split, to allow for testing of the POS code prior to the move to full POS long-term.

That particular split won't have a noticeable effect on mining.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Vann

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 10:32:08 PM

Where does it say POS will start with Metropolis? Isn't POS hybrid going to start in Serenity/Casper at end of 2017, first quarter 2018?

My understanding is the Metropolis release will begin the move to POS. That was the point of the difficulty bomb leading up to it.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 10:39:53 PM

My understanding is the Metropolis release will begin the move to POS. That was the point of the difficulty bomb leading up to it.

All I heard was that Metropolis will have no Hybrid POS but instead they will reduce the ETH issusance rate to match the difficulty bomb rate.

So extend difficulty bomb another 6 months or so but if block times are 30 seconds make the ETH reward 2.5 ETH per block and make blocktimes 15 seconds again.

But even now, its still unclear which plan will be final with the release.
Vann

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 10:50:06 PM

All I heard was that Metropolis will have no Hybrid POS but instead they will reduce the ETH issusance rate to match the difficulty bomb rate.

So extend difficulty bomb another 6 months or so but if block times are 30 seconds make the ETH reward 2.5 ETH per block and make blocktimes 15 seconds again.

As stated in the dev meeting, the block times will be over 30 seconds by September and closer to 45 seconds by November. Somewhere around 3 ETH is what was discussed as the block reward change. The difficulty bomb retarget  will make it unprofitable to mine much sooner unless they diffuse the bomb or lower the block times before it was planned, at the same time they release Metropolis.
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 11:01:10 PM

Some of us run both, and know the strengths AND WEAKNESSES of both.

Agree +++

Adaseb really should at least touch one green gpu. They are not that bad.
sadyas

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 08:07:13 AM

As stated in the dev meeting, the block times will be over 30 seconds by September and closer to 45 seconds by November. Somewhere around 3 ETH is what was discussed as the block reward change. The difficulty bomb retarget  will make it unprofitable to mine much sooner unless they diffuse the bomb or lower the block times before it was planned, at the same time they release Metropolis.

I do not worry about the block time. As long as the block reward is 5, that is fine with me.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 08:45:13 AM

I do not worry about the block time. As long as the block reward is 5, that is fine with me.

The block time is actually connected with the difficulty with ETH, its not like Bitcoin.

When block time is double, reward is constant, your earnings are cut in half.
Xenoblate

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:46:10 AM

The block time is actually connected with the difficulty with ETH, its not like Bitcoin.

When block time is double, reward is constant, your earnings are cut in half.

So the inflation rate of ETH is going to reduce quite a lot before the PoS.
Thetaj

Activity: 402
Merit: 116

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 07:38:56 AM

Welp, its been a long time coming boys. But I think it is time to say farewell to GPU mining, its over

the ROI on new equipments are not going to work out any longer
hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:17:42 AM

Welp, its been a long time coming boys. But I think it is time to say farewell to GPU mining, its over

the ROI on new equipments are not going to work out any longer

lol, if you had 39 nividia gpus working on SIGT past two week like me, you would be laughing all the way to the bank. But since you only have 2 * rx460 then i have to agree
Thetaj

Activity: 402
Merit: 116

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 01:05:14 PM

12 1080 TI
6 1080s

bro calm your tits. What I'm trying to say is it ain't what it used to be. I think I'm gonna cash out the cards now for reals.

congrats on your mining profits though, mine have long since ROI, but........like I said, it aint what it used to be

dannygroove

Activity: 306

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2017, 04:36:51 PM

12 1080 TI
6 1080s

bro calm your tits. What I'm trying to say is it ain't what it used to be. I think I'm gonna cash out the cards now for reals.

congrats on your mining profits though, mine have long since ROI, but........like I said, it aint what it used to be

Cash them out, you wont be missed.
Zocadas

Activity: 909
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 04:51:28 PM

12 1080 TI
6 1080s

If your electricity price is more than $0.2/kWh, it is better to sell the cards.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: