Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:01:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining with a Macbook Pro  (Read 455 times)
Continuous (OP)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 264

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 08:08:30 PM

Hey!

I'm a complete rookie and new to mining in general so I'm sorry for the questions.

Would it be worthy mining Altcoins with my Macbook?

If not, any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

Thank you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
darkenedsoul

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

Genesis Team™

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2017, 08:10:26 PM

Hey!

I'm a complete rookie and new to mining in general so I'm sorry for the questions.

Thank you!

You could CPU mine with your Macbook. Make sure you are never using more than 50% of the threads though, or you could brick it lol.

GPU mining in most cases is better than CPU mining. To GPU mine, you need an existing PC or to buy a motherboard to add Graphics cards too.

For coins to mine, looks for coins with a CPU based algorithm. Algo example- argon2d

Continuous (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 08:20:27 PM

Hey!

Thank you!

You could CPU mine with your Macbook. Make sure you are never using more than 50% of the threads though, or you could brick it lol.

GPU mining in most cases is better than CPU mining. To GPU mine, you need an existing PC or to buy a motherboard to add Graphics cards too.

For coins to mine, looks for coins with a CPU based algorithm. Algo example- argon2d

Thank you, I'll definitely look into this!

Do you think it'd be more profitable on my case to rent one PC online for the purpose of mining?
darkenedsoul

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

Genesis Team™

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2017, 08:31:52 PM

Hey!

Thank you!

Do you think it'd be more profitable on my case to rent one PC online for the purpose of mining?

If you really want to get into mining, I suggest saving up a bit of money. Only way renting equipment would be profitable is if the rental fee was less than your cost of electricity. Most cloud mining options are complete scams. The contracts they sell you, you have little to no chance of ever getting a ROI on your investment.

You can start out with the bare bones of a rig : mobo, psu, Hard Drive, processor, and a signle GPU. As time goes on, you can continue to add GPU's to the rig. Then you can go from one rig to two, two to three, and so on

Continuous (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 08:41:29 PM

Hey!

Thank you!

If you really want to get into mining, I suggest saving up a bit of money. Only way renting equipment would be profitable is if the rental fee was less than your cost of electricity. Most cloud mining options are complete scams. The contracts they sell you, you have little to no chance of ever getting a ROI on your investment.

You can start out with the bare bones of a rig : mobo, psu, Hard Drive, processor, and a signle GPU. As time goes on, you can continue to add GPU's to the rig. Then you can go from one rig to two, two to three, and so on

Thanks a lot darkenedsoul, extremely appreciated.

Yes, I was looking into a few cloud mining options and they all seemed too sketchy so I'll avoid those.

I'll look into the bare bones of a rig and work on the upgrades later, thank you.

I'll be closing the topic as I've figured out what I was looking for.

Thank you for the help once again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: