Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:21:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got an S4... any must-have apps?  (Read 2303 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:48:07 AM

Flashlight.
Opera Mobile

Astro File Manager

APK Installer

GVoice Callback

Sipdroid

Kindle and Nook clients

Audible client

Scientific Calculator

PDANet

Adobe Reader

Note Everything

Wifi and Airplane mode toggle widgets

Tone Picker

NavFree (GPS navigation w/o Internet connection)

Andreas Schildbach's Bitcoin client (ports also exist for LTC, FTC if you want them.)

Whatever other specific utilities might be useful to you
Wow, nice list!

Thank you all for your inputs!
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:15:47 AM

bloody dropped my phone onto concrete today... screen shattered in top right corner.
still 100% usable..  not to much of the actual touchable screen shattered (and even that bit still works) just doesn't look so pretty anymore. and don't really wana put my head to close to the shattered glass.. has a few sharp bits...
$260 to fix Sad

I'm sure the earlier models where much sturdier.. my s1 I used to throw around and its still 100% 2-3 years later... even the s3 took a few hits and was fine (till i dropped it in water.. :[ )

Its annoying cause i'm usually not this unlucky / retarded.

i

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:28:07 AM

My S2 feels old.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:38:18 PM

bloody dropped my phone onto concrete today... screen shattered in top right corner.
still 100% usable..  not to much of the actual touchable screen shattered (and even that bit still works) just doesn't look so pretty anymore. and don't really wana put my head to close to the shattered glass.. has a few sharp bits...
$260 to fix Sad

I'm sure the earlier models where much sturdier.. my s1 I used to throw around and its still 100% 2-3 years later... even the s3 took a few hits and was fine (till i dropped it in water.. :[ )

i
I'm selling my S4... $550.  Want to replace yours?  Smiley
Justin00
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:25:50 AM

nah... no thanks

u dislike it that much ?? Going back to iphone ?

$260 to fix Sad

i

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:29:30 AM

All I use is Wifi Tether and GAuth.... but I can't get a mobile signal worth beans, and VOIP is unusable on low-strength 3G. Thanks, Sprint.  Cheesy
Justin00
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 09:59:04 AM

3G... how 2011...

but yeah i'm the same.. just use the phone for sms / basic crap.. a 1995 nokia 5110 would do me fine.

All I use is Wifi Tether and GAuth.... but I can't get a mobile signal worth beans, and VOIP is unusable on low-strength 3G. Thanks, Sprint.  Cheesy

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 10:05:22 AM

Feels so good to finally get rid of the Itunes closed-shit, right?

Cheesy

compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:34:49 PM

Useful

Falcon - lovely twitter widget.

Miner status - keep an eye on your mining rig.

Barcode scanner - for all your QR and UPC needs.  Nice feature is that it will de-shorten URLs for you, so you can see where you're going before you go there, which is essential with the QR-driven malware going around.

FBreader - Nice featureful epub, etc. reader

Realcalc - nice scientific calculator

Battery Snap - nice battery stats app, with an informative widget

Android Terminal Emulator - Use your shell.  Useful for various purposes.

Busybox - Full set of real shell tools for above terminal.

DNSchanger - Hand your carrier a bit less information about your activities

Droidwall - Pick and choose what apps get to use the internet and when.

Catlog - Logcat reader.  Essential for bug reporting.

GPS Status & Toolbox - Gives you additional details on your GPS status

MinFreeManager - Tweak the values for the low memory killer, either to keep more RAM free or keep apps from being killed when you don't want them gone.

Silent Toggle widget - Quick one-touch widget to toggle between normal, vibrate, and silent.

SpeedHud - Speedometer and trip logger.

SuperSU - More full-featured superuser manager

To Do List Widget - Exactly what it sounds like.  It's a simple and convenient to-do list.

VLC for Android beta - It's VLC on Android.  Still has some bugs, but is steadily improving.

Amusing

Soundhound and/or Shazam - Never wonder what song is playing again.

Coloreye - Identifies colours by Pantone name and RGB hex.

It's 5 o'Clock Somewhere - And now you know where exactly.

Simple Moon Phase Widget - Tells you the current moon phase and gives a calender of the phases.  Nice for werewolves or the curious.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:41:09 PM

nah... no thanks

u dislike it that much ?? Going back to iphone ?

$260 to fix Sad

i
Yep, I really did.  Lots of little things I just really didn't like about it.  The keyboard is terrible (all of them), the screen is very hard to see in sunlight, some apps are $10 or $20 on Android while free on iOS, I can't go from the lock screen straight to taking a picture, taking a screenshot of the phone didn't work 80% of the time, etc.  The iPhone just does everything I want it to do except Bitcoin (hopefully more support in that area will come soon), so I switched back.
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 05:46:21 PM

Yep, I really did.  Lots of little things I just really didn't like about it.  The keyboard is terrible (all of them), the screen is very hard to see in sunlight, some apps are $10 or $20 on Android while free on iOS, I can't go from the lock screen straight to taking a picture, taking a screenshot of the phone didn't work 80% of the time, etc.  The iPhone just does everything I want it to do except Bitcoin (hopefully more support in that area will come soon), so I switched back.
You sound like me switching from an iPhone.
"Lots of little things I just really didn't like about it. The keyboard is terrible (there's no way to try even one other), the screen is tiny, the appstore is blatantly censored for political views and there's no way to sideload apps, I can't use lockscreen widgets (or widgets at all), can't replace the battery (useful on long trips), can't expand the tiny storage space with an SD card, no Bitcoin allowed, etc etc. Android does everything I want it to, so I switched to it.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 06:29:38 PM

You sound like me switching from an iPhone.
"Lots of little things I just really didn't like about it. The keyboard is terrible (there's no way to try even one other), the screen is tiny, the appstore is blatantly censored for political views and there's no way to sideload apps, I can't use lockscreen widgets (or widgets at all), can't replace the battery (useful on long trips), can't expand the tiny storage space with an SD card, no Bitcoin allowed, etc etc. Android does everything I want it to, so I switched to it.
Agree that the screen is smaller than I'd like it to be on the iPhone, but it's too big on the S4 for some things... I never really decided if I liked the 5" screen size or not.  1080p was awesome, but I couldn't one-hand it across the entire screen like I can on the iPhone.  It's more like using a tablet instead of using a phone.

App store censoring is annoying, lockscreen widgets are cool, I agree, and replacing the battery and storage is awesome.  The downsides just threw me off too much though.  I'll probably try the latest and greatest Android offering in another year and a half, when I am again eligible for an upgrade, and see if I like it.

The keyboard is way better on the iPhone though.  It actually autocorrects properly.  Roll Eyes  If you do so much as add an extra letter on the S4, it would come up with all sorts of words you didn't want.  The iPhone's autocorrect is just a lot smarter, and means I can type essentially without looking and very quickly, and it almost always comes out how I wanted it to, even though every other letter was mistyped.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 08:45:57 PM

Agree to disagree on the keyboard. Having tried the iPhone keyboard, Swiftkey, and Swype (latest beta), I've found that swiping is much faster than tapping, and SwiftKey's AutoCorrect is more accurate than the iPhone's (it will sometimes predict 4 words in advance!)

Edit: yes, no Android phone that I know of ships with a good keyboard.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 08:57:43 PM

Agree to disagree on the keyboard. Having tried the iPhone keyboard, Swiftkey, and Swype (latest beta), I've found that swiping is much faster than tapping, and SwiftKey's AutoCorrect is more accurate than the iPhone's (it will sometimes predict 4 words in advance!)

I think I tried a keyboard called "Perfect Keyboard" which was better than the default, but still not great with regards to autocorrection.  If Swiftkey wasn't one of the stock keyboards available, I didn't try it, sadly, as I may have liked it.  Swype is cool and probably fast if you're used to typing on a phone with one hand to begin with.  As it is, swyping could never be as fast as I type with two thumbs, since it only uses one finger and have more traveling time between letters.  Even after I got used to the swype keyboard (it was the one I used the most) and was swyping across words as fast as I physically could, it still doesn't hold a candle to just plain old autocorrected-without-looking thumb typing.

Anyway, yes, agree to disagree.  Obviously, different keyboards are better for one person vs another based on how they type.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 09:23:22 PM

I think I tried a keyboard called "Perfect Keyboard" which was better than the default, but still not great with regards to autocorrection.  If Swiftkey wasn't one of the stock keyboards available, I didn't try it, sadly, as I may have liked it.  Swype is cool and probably fast if you're used to typing on a phone with one hand to begin with.  As it is, swyping could never be as fast as I type with two thumbs, since it only uses one finger and have more traveling time between letters.  Even after I got used to the swype keyboard (it was the one I used the most) and was swyping across words as fast as I physically could, it still doesn't hold a candle to just plain old autocorrected-without-looking thumb typing.

Anyway, yes, agree to disagree.  Obviously, different keyboards are better for one person vs another based on how they type.
Wait -- it's possible to type on these things? My big, fat thumbs are always pressing 2-3 keys unless I switch to landscape mode, and then I usually can't see what I'm typing. Whatever happened to those phones with the slide-out keyboards?  Sad
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 09:31:59 PM

just plain old autocorrected-without-looking thumb typing.
That's SwiftKey's specialty. Some of the big OEM's should stop trying to make their own crappy keyboards and just make a deal with SwiftKey.
I tend to agree about the speed, but two-thumbing gets tiring more quickly, especially because you're lifting them vertically.

Wait -- it's possible to type on these things? My big, fat thumbs are always pressing 2-3 keys unless I switch to landscape mode, and then I usually can't see what I'm typing. Whatever happened to those phones with the slide-out keyboards?  Sad
Use your nails, or try swiping.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Wait -- it's possible to type on these things? My big, fat thumbs are always pressing 2-3 keys unless I switch to landscape mode, and then I usually can't see what I'm typing. Whatever happened to those phones with the slide-out keyboards?  Sad
Mine too.  That's why I like keyboards that will autocorrect for me, so I can just get in the general area of what I was trying to do and it makes it into what I was actually trying to write.
wolverine.ks

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 01:23:42 AM

redphone

text secure

gibberbot

twidere

fdroid

jitsi(alpha)

k9 email

fire Fox

orbot
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 02:50:22 AM

redphone

text secure

gibberbot

twidere

fdroid

jitsi(alpha)

k9 email

fire Fox

orbot
Someone's got their head on straight. Note: firefox does not use the system proxy setting, so good luck getting it to work over Tor. Chrome does.
wolverine.ks

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:32:59 PM

i switch between browsers depending on how patient i am at the time.

also, i would suggest getting Cyanogenmod flashed to your phone. Its available for Rogers and TMobile versions of the S4, last time I checked. There may be unofficial builds for the other carriers.

Let me know if you get Cyanogenmod up and running on a Galaxy S4 (AT&T)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: