Bitcoin Forum
September 01, 2024, 06:57:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why electrum server instead of direct bitcoind jsonrpc?  (Read 1830 times)
josvazg (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 10:27:50 AM

I am relatively new to bitcoin and electrum.

One thing I don't get about electrum is why does it need to have a non standard server?

Couldn't the client connect directly to bicoind servers nodes using jsonrpc?

And about security, couldn't the client connect to multiple servers in parallel and ask for things in parallel (sort of a map reduce interaction) to achieve:
- Speed: you just take notice of the N fastest responses that are consistent with each other
- Security: you are NOT trusting one node, but a bunch of them, just like bitcoind but without the blockchain download hassle.

Bakemono

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:53:44 PM

Good question.
Until someone with actual knowledge of this matter answers you i ll make a guess  Grin

For different instances of the same wallet to be synchronized.I mean for example if you have the same wallet (same seed)
installed in different computers.

BTC : 1Ct9opEdmq4ZuZmNQmhGBDcurrePFykTRt
LTC : LLqGtKpAdx6Ci8ZaSrvWG6WXfFF3mPK4V9
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:16:01 PM

What Electrum does requires a full index to be built of the block chain. bitcoind does not support this out of the box because it's unnecessary for Bitcoin's regular operation.

If you want a lightweight client that connects to a regular bitcoind, you need to use a regular SPV mode client (Electrum is not quite the same thing), like MultiBit. It doesn't use JSON-RPC but rather the P2P protocol directly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: