Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:58:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All this rage and BTC valuation is almost back where it was before the event.  (Read 3245 times)
Vladimir (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:55:20 PM

We shall set up a rota so that an exchange is hacked (voluntarily, as a public service) every week. Great for publicity.

-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:58:45 PM

Agreed.  ^.^
bitcoinconnection

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:02:36 PM

I sounds very interesting. I will follow all the post.

Lookie Here 1MXgbEABic6Up7e3SzHrmkdQTTSRpuUAxY

Get 10% discount for Life and up to 5% for referral
BitcoinConnection.com for the latest news on Bitcoins
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:04:29 PM

Hah, like a bitcoin "lottery" for whitehats.

You are right though Vladimir, prices haven't collapsed as all the fear-mongers said.

Tradehill Bid/Offer: 13.77/14.75

Last: 14.75

Heck, could even get to parity with the Mt.Gox last of 17.50 before they open...

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:08:12 PM

still, getting to 50$ at the end of the month mgiht be a little hard now. thats a disappointment. on the other hand, a rally is much sweeter when unexpected  Grin
lemonginger

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:09:59 PM

mt gox hasn't even reopened yet. We will almost definitely be back down into single digits when they do. Not saying that is a bad thing, just that the price implications of this arent known yet.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:11:29 PM

the rage of the trolls is paid for.

the rage of those who were unaffected is meaningless.

the rage of those who were affected is... well... hmmm.  they don't seem to be enraged.  i suppose because there doesn't appear to be that large an impact.

as you imply, vladimir - no such thing as bad publicity.

and it's all good for bringing in some beefed-up security.
Synaptic

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:13:08 PM

the rage of the trolls is paid for.

the rage of those who were unaffected is meaningless.

the rage of those who were affected is... well... hmmm.  they don't seem to be enraged.  i suppose because there doesn't appear to be that large an impact.

as you imply, vladimir - no such thing as bad publicity.

and it's all good for bringing in some beefed-up security.

Amen.

I for one am PUMPED, gonna make a huge profit from all these small scared fish.
Desu

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:15:10 PM

Bitmarket USD. is $16.25
epii

Merit: 106

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:19:35 PM

+1 Vladimir

I predict there will be some chaos when Mt. Gox reopens, because a large fraction of all actively circulated bitcoins are caught up in their servers.  However, the price is the price - the consensus of the markets that, at this point in time, 1 BTC is worth roughly $14 or $15, is in fact a consensus of users that this is the correct valuation.  There's no reason why this evaluation would change depending on whether or not Mt. Gox is open - the only issue with the reopening is that the flood of liquidity could spook some traders for a day or two.  But the fact that the price has held more or less steady through this crisis tells me that Bitcoin is more stable than even the optimists could have predicted.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:20:36 PM

A temporary fall back to ~10.25 (or even a 'new low' of ~6.75 to 7.5, which matches an old trading range) is easy to predict, will you be buying or panic-selling?
The drama continues, stay tuned...

Vladimir (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:24:20 PM

will you be buying or panic-selling?

We will be watching...

-
mandros

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:33:27 PM

+1 Vladimir

I predict there will be some chaos when Mt. Gox reopens, because a large fraction of all actively circulated bitcoins are caught up in their servers.  However, the price is the price - the consensus of the markets that, at this point in time, 1 BTC is worth roughly $14 or $15, is in fact a consensus of users that this is the correct valuation.  There's no reason why this evaluation would change depending on whether or not Mt. Gox is open - the only issue with the reopening is that the flood of liquidity could spook some traders for a day or two.  But the fact that the price has held more or less steady through this crisis tells me that Bitcoin is more stable than even the optimists could have predicted.

Right now selling a little more than 1.000 coins worth it roughly $1.000 on TradeHill would half the price to $6.5 per bitcoin.

I think TradeHill has too small volume to draw conclusions on it. When all Mt Gox users get their money back and their coins back we'll see how they react.
epii

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:34:04 PM

will you be buying or panic-selling?
I plan to be panic-buying, panic-selling, and panic-dancing-around-naked.  It will be a fun day.
Gandlaf

Activity: 59

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:37:59 PM

A temporary fall back to ~10.25 (or even a 'new low' of ~6.75 to 7.5, which matches an old trading range) is easy to predict, will you be buying or panic-selling?
The drama continues, stay tuned...

It might even work out in a completely different way. Whilst quite a few people now probably have doubts about the exchanges, especially MtGox, I have seen very few comments doubting the security of Bitcoins themselves.
So (ironically?) this scare may actually lead to a rise in Bitcoins. Why? The fastest way to get money out of MtGox is via Bitcoins!
My strategy will be to buy BTC as soon as MtGox reopens, cash them out to my wallet and then wait and see how things work out.
epii

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:38:25 PM

+1 Vladimir

Right now selling a little more than 1.000 coins worth it roughly $1.000 on TradeHill would half the price to $6.5 per bitcoin.

I think TradeHill has too small volume to draw conclusions on it. When all Mt Gox users get their money back and their coins back we'll see how they react.

Well, I'm judging based on TradeHill, Britcoin, Bitmarket, Bitcoin7, Bitomat and Bitcoin2Cash.  This is what I meant by "consensus of the markets".  The psychology of traders worldwide seems to be in agreement as to the correct price of Bitcoins at the current time.  I gauge the fact that the volume of all of these markets combined is less than 1/10th of Mt. Gox's to be largely irrelevant, but I could very well be proven wrong.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:39:02 PM

My prediction:

There will be no fallback, or at most a few dollars. So essentially none.

Prices will stay above $14 for the entire day.

If I'm right, I'm going to quote myself and laugh at all the retards who think it will go to single digits.
Synaptic

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:40:39 PM

My prediction:

There will be no fallback.

Prices will stay above $14 for the entire day.

If I'm right, I'm going to quote myself and laugh at all the retards who think it will go to single digits.

I actually think you're totally correct.

But it's not going to be organic price stability.

It's going to be other big players keeping their little pump and dump looking inviting for a little while longer.
AtomicTrader

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:05:18 PM

I think this attack on Mt.Gox was a reality check. People's valuation of BTC will be lower as a result. Single digits is not unreasonable.
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

Your Minion

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:10:59 PM

Where will BTC be in the coming week.
Relevant poll

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: