Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:21:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What storage methods are resistant to hacking?  (Read 1020 times)
TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 11:17:25 AM

Q1: What methods of storing bitcoins are resistant to any computer being hacked?

Example: moving them to the address of a Casascius physical bitcoin you have safe somewhere.

Q2: What other methods of storing bitcoins are resistant to just your own computer being owned & keylogged (but still dependent on trusting honesty and security of others)?

Example: keeping on an online account protected by your Yubikey.

Assume security is fine at the time of eventual retrieval, but not at the time of storage.

Thanks for your help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 11:28:19 AM

Running a ubuntu live CD, install the bitcoin client.
Then copy the wallet.dat on a storage device, keep this safe and don't use this on another operating system.

Then, write down the bitcoin address and use that address for storing your bitcoins, you don't want to keep checking if they have been received via your ubuntu setup, because that will take a long time.

When you want to withdraw any bitcoins, then boot up your live cd once again, then withdraw like normal.
However don't use the wallet.dat on your computer without running a live cd.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:06:12 PM

Running a ubuntu live CD, install the bitcoin client.
Then copy the wallet.dat on a storage device, keep this safe and don't use this on another operating system.

Then, write down the bitcoin address and use that address for storing your bitcoins, you don't want to keep checking if they have been received via your ubuntu setup, because that will take a long time.

When you want to withdraw any bitcoins, then boot up your live cd once again, then withdraw like normal.
However don't use the wallet.dat on your computer without running a live cd.

I found that it might not the best alternative.

If you don't want restrictions / hassle, create a persistent live linux on a USB (knoppix supports it out of the box).

You can encrypt the file system too for added security.

Make sure to use a 16-32GB pendrive to have enough space for the blockchain.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:02:52 AM

Q1: What methods of storing bitcoins are resistant to any computer being hacked?
encrypted truecrypt volume. works for any storage device.

Q2: What other methods of storing bitcoins are resistant to just your own computer being owned & keylogged (but still dependent on trusting honesty and security of others)?
live cds. preferably signed so it can't be tampered with during download. it will also need to be up to date to prevent remote exploits.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Flanagan

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 11:05:10 AM

RE: Online storage of files , not backup of files that remain on your computer too
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online storage systems like Dropbox, Carbonite, Spideroak, etc. seem to be lacking one essential thing:

If I just want to upload some file (i.e. encrypted or zipped file with keys or wallet), but without leaving a copy on my computer, it seems like quite a hassle as those mentioned are more oriented to doing backups and synchronization of files that would be on your computer and on their website.

Yes, I know they save history of stuff you erase from your computer that you have backed up previously, but still it's quite confusing.

What online storage sites can you recommend that allow simply uploading files that you don't want to keep on your computer, so that you truly can have safely stored files remotely online, safe from your computer being stolen or hacked ?

I am thinking of things like mega.

Learn to listen, listen to learn.
Bitbuy

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 12:49:13 PM

This book was given away for free a couple of weeks back, I'm sure you can still find it out there somewhere:
http://www.totalbitcoinsecurity.com/

It has a nice and thorough overview of the most safe methods for dealing with your btc
(no, I'm not the author / seller; I just picked it up for free and found it very informative)
BookLover

Activity: 533

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:14:30 PM

1. buy/build an air-gaped computer
2. install bitcoin-qt, Armory and 7zip from a flash-drive
3. generate a btc address (in Armory)
4. send coins to the address
5. encrypt wallet with 7zip and a >20 char random password
6. shred the unencrypted wallet

When you want to spend your bitcoins you can use Armory's offline transaction feature.

cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:17:55 PM

Flip a coin 256 times and then somehow generate the public key from that.  Maybe using a programmable calculator

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
maupert

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 11:28:54 PM

Hi,

I once read of a more low tech approach. You can safe the coins and private/public key on a piece of paper.
I'm not sure were it was I have to look into this option.

But then you would be afraid you lost the paper I guess.

just googled, and found this:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Paper_wallet
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: