Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:56:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What should be the plan after ETH mining dies ?  (Read 2542 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 05:54:33 AM

Well, it's getting a bit more complicated, prices on Bitcoin and the bigger altcoins seem to be recovering the last couple days.

ETH network hashrate has pretty much stagnated the last week, have to see if the price climb is enough to stimulate more machine builds or if folks are going to stay cautious for a while.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mrdunns

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 06:03:32 AM

Does any one here dual mine with ethos?
shaninium

Activity: 489
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 09:03:14 AM

Anything can replace eth for mining it just has to be very pumpable and have high rewards per block and offer something new and better then the rest. Something new would do the trick. a Zcash 2.0

iamnewhere

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 09:10:40 AM

Well, it's getting a bit more complicated, prices on Bitcoin and the bigger altcoins seem to be recovering the last couple days.

ETH network hashrate has pretty much stagnated the last week, have to see if the price climb is enough to stimulate more machine builds or if folks are going to stay cautious for a while.

As the majority of ETH miners is still AMD based the hashrate might even go down a bit over the next weeks. might become a good time now for Nvidia miners with raising prices for ETH Smiley
ZenFr
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1046

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 09:18:27 AM

Hello,

Nearly all the topics mention about the end of eth mining in a very short time. What is your strategy after eth mining dies ? Which coins you will be targeting ? I am also mining eth but would like to hear your ideas about what to do after eth ?

Many people talk about switching to Zcash but it will be the same thing if every eth miner switch to zcash . So is it best to mine underrated coins or what ? Please help a newbie to decide what to do =)

Thanks.
What do you says "about the end of ETH mining" ?

Because the PoS with ETH : it will never come.

Because the poor performance of AMD GPUs with ETH in the near future ?
You're right, but ETH mining will not be ended because AMD GPUs are useless : it is still the nVidia GPUs mining, and without the AMD GPUs hashrate, the nVidia GPUs will earn a lot (lower difficulty).

But, if you only want to switch from ETH mining to an other coin, one more time, it's depends of what GPUs you have.
For example, AMD GPUs can't mine a lot of coin and some very interesting coins.

ben8jam

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 10:44:14 AM

There is no answer to this. And even if someone had a crystal ball and could see the next big profit coin, they wouldn't tell you. Mining for big profit is dead until the next coin comes around. Don't forget, Ethereum has been in development for years and only just became profitable in the last eight months. For the next year or two or more, you'll just be scraping pennies from the crypto floor.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 10:49:22 PM

What do you says "about the end of ETH mining" ?

Because the PoS with ETH : it will never come.

Because the poor performance of AMD GPUs with ETH in the near future ?
You're right, but ETH mining will not be ended because AMD GPUs are useless : it is still the nVidia GPUs mining, and without the AMD GPUs hashrate, the nVidia GPUs will earn a lot (lower difficulty).

But, if you only want to switch from ETH mining to an other coin, one more time, it's depends of what GPUs you have.
For example, AMD GPUs can't mine a lot of coin and some very interesting coins.

POS for ETH is just a matter of time, though it has been delayed a few times it's starting to look like the Metropolis "hybrid trial" IS going to happen late this year.
 1% allocated to POS 99% to POW won't kill mining, or even have a noticeable effect on profitability, but it's a step towards the end.

The "DAG file size" issue with AMD cards won't kill mining. It will affect profitability and might drive a few MARGINAL miners out of ETH, but it's not enough of an issue to kill ETH mining.
 It might be enough to drive some folks to NVidia cards instead of AMD, especially the 1060 and 1070, as long as AMD pricing continues to be GOUGE and AMD availability remains very limited, but it would appear that the mining-specific AMD models are having somewhat of an impact on the pricing and availability issues.

AMD cards can mine quite a few other coins well, but there are SOME that are going to remain NVidia strongholds.

It's going to be a largely moot point though, if pricing doesn't start climbing again.
 Profitability RIGHT NOW is back down to about the same level it was at last summer, which wasn't enough to support any serious growth in ETH mining farms - and the last 2-3 weeks of price moves indicate it's probably a VERY HIGH RISK to get into ETH mining at this point unless you have FREE or VERY VERY CHEAP electric to survive a possible "price drop driven shakeout" over the next few weeks.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
enzeperix

Activity: 143

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 12:01:34 AM

Most probable people will start mining Monero, ETH forks, ZEC etc.. But i'm sure there will be lots of miners who will sell their rigs causing a massive drop in price .

I  think we need a new consensus system in which the participants would be incentivised to keep their PCs online as much as possible. Some sort of POS but with accent on uptime.
hyet24

Activity: 166

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 12:24:41 AM

New coins are created every day, mine something else.

Its really up to the founders and how they market it.  Example Bitcoin has to be around $7000/BTC and Zec above .12/BTC to keep up with the difficulty.  We would make same amount like 2 months ago. 
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 03:10:08 AM

There is no answer to this. And even if someone had a crystal ball and could see the next big profit coin, they wouldn't tell you. Mining for big profit is dead until the next coin comes around. Don't forget, Ethereum has been in development for years and only just became profitable in the last eight months. For the next year or two or more, you'll just be scraping pennies from the crypto floor.

Actually, it's been profitable for longer than that because the difficulty used to be much lower. When I started mining Ethereum in March of 2016 (16 months ago), I was making ~$7 per day with two R9 290x cards and a few months later, I was making ~$10 a day for a little while. Now I mine it with four R9 290x cards and I make ~$7 per day.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 07:06:48 AM

Actually, it's been profitable for longer than that because the difficulty used to be much lower. When I started mining Ethereum in March of 2016 (16 months ago), I was making ~$7 per day with two R9 290x cards and a few months later, I was making ~$10 a day for a little while. Now I mine it with four R9 290x cards and I make ~$7 per day.

Depends on your electric rate too, ETH has been profitable for a long time if you had cheap enough electric.

Realetim

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 12:51:54 PM

Depends on your electric rate too, ETH has been profitable for a long time if you had cheap enough electric.

If the price is lower than 0.16 dollar, it is quite profitable.
twofreckles

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 12:54:14 PM

Why to worry about it right now? I hear everyday mining is doomed it won't work tomorrow and then here we are a few years later Smiley New coins are created every day, if ETH will not be mineable there will be something else. Worst scenario, profitability goes below 0, all John Does selling gears and then it will sky rocket once again, happened in the past how many times by know?

Sev18

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 02:32:36 PM

Proportion of hashrate which mining etehreum is too big. I expect some new PoW coins to come out, but It seems not easy..

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: