Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:02:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does one reverse a transaction?  (Read 2624 times)
IronWolve (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:09:59 PM

I checked the wiki, but not much detail on how one goes about reversing a transaction after its made.

News reports that mt.gox reversed all its transactions, how is this accomplished?

I thought bitcoins was send and receive only, not sure how you "cancel" a transaction after its sent out.
Couldnt this be used for fraud?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xane

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:12:15 PM

You can't reverse a bitcoin transaction. MtGox was "rolling back" trades made through their exchange, not actual bitcoin transactions.
BTCrow

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

BTCrow.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 10:23:31 PM

I checked the wiki, but not much detail on how one goes about reversing a transaction after its made.

News reports that mt.gox reversed all its transactions, how is this accomplished?

I thought bitcoins was send and receive only, not sure how you "cancel" a transaction after its sent out.

As already replied by xane, bitcoin transaction can't be reversed. That's "for my part" the major problem of bitcoin system. You need to entirely trust someone when you send him funds.
That's why escrow services exist such as ClearCoin, Eptiv and my new opened one BTCrow.

Of course you need to trust the Escrow service itself, but once you have good experience with one of them you don't have to trust other people for your transactions.

The limitation of the current Escrow Services are the lack of support for merchant carts etc. I'm working on it for mine to integrate merchant api for safe trading.

BTC Economist

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:26:48 PM

As already replied by xane, bitcoin transaction can't be reversed. That's "for my part" the major problem of bitcoin system. You need to entirely trust someone when you send him funds.
That's why escrow services exist such as ClearCoin, Eptiv and my new opened one BTCrow.

Of course you need to trust the Escrow service itself, but once you have good experience with one of them you don't have to trust other people for your transactions.

The limitation of the current Escrow Services are the lack of support for merchant carts etc. I'm working on it for mine to integrate merchant api for safe trading.

I applaud you for starting an escrow service. You could become filthy rich as I think every bitcoin transaction needs to go through escrow going forward if it is to be a success.

When BTC soars, you need to be READY!  PM me to learn more about my new e-book, How to Create and Profit from the Second Bitcoin Bubble available exclusively to BTC forum members!

17JzkreEBYNHQM9tMTiUKCHANofwzHRLhP
dodgrr

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:20:50 PM

time machine.

*results may vary

BTCrow

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

BTCrow.com

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 01:19:56 PM

I applaud you for starting an escrow service. You could become filthy rich as I think every bitcoin transaction needs to go through escrow going forward if it is to be a success.

Thanks for this comment, this is apreciated. I put a lot of work and effort into running this escrow. And I hope people enjoy it. The point is not really being rich but make some extra cash while helping the community with (in my opinion) the major problem of bitcoin transaction.

if you have other suggestion / comments / whatever, feel free to post it into the official thread here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=21544.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: