Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:01:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOs are the new Dotcom bubble with one small difference.  (Read 514 times)
Fatoshi (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 05:02:36 AM

The ICO market looks exactly like the Dotcom bubble of the 90s. Back then venture capital was literally throwing money at anyone with a pulse and an idea. The difference is WE are the venture capital who will lose a lot of money.

Here's the problem I'm not against these new ICOs and really believe in decentralisation of many fo these services. BUT people forget that 99% of new tech companies fail. People are starting tech companies everyday but only a tiny few, FB, Snapchat, Twitter, Amazon etc make it. So the bottom line is its almost impossible to predict the next FB or Twitter until they are already starting to become popular. For most ICOs they will crash to the floor and then we can look and see which one is genuinely on boarding customers and their tech works. Till the you are throwing money into a dark hole.

I would also add it's even worse than back then cause ICO developers if they find completing difficult will simply walk away as there is no pressure to make good on promises, close their website and move on. At least in Dotcom bubble those venture capital companies could put pressure on companies and stagger investments based on performance. We have none of that!
pdpanzer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 05:09:25 AM

Dot Com had many different ideas. This bubble is more dangerous as it's very centric on the same ideas. Also, it's highly leveraged and liquid. During dot com you couldn't float an idea and get 300 must in two days without even a plan. Any new gen coin with early success sparks 40 more. The collapse will be gigantic here, but maybe 2-3 platforms will become behemoths with a 400b+ market cap. But just a few, just like there Google for search, Facebook for social, etc. there can be many coins but 90% will be the top 1-4 coins and smart contract leaders.
Fatoshi (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 05:23:39 AM

Dot Com had many different ideas. This bubble is more dangerous as it's very centric on the same ideas. Also, it's highly leveraged and liquid. During dot com you couldn't float an idea and get 300 must in two days without even a plan. Any new gen coin with early success sparks 40 more. The collapse will be gigantic here, but maybe 2-3 platforms will become behemoths with a 400b+ market cap. But just a few, just like there Google for search, Facebook for social, etc. there can be many coins but 90% will be the top 1-4 coins and smart contract leaders.

Absolutly, there WILL be some new Googles and FBs from this season tech I have no doubt. But also the old establishment like Google of they see success will build their own as well, imagine Google doing an ICO? INSANE!!!! Amounts of money would be collected.

My strategy is to wait until the dust clears most will drop to worthless and then we might slowley start to see who might be the winners. I would say Judging that now is almost impossible.
sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 05:25:23 AM

...BUT people forget that 99% of new tech companies fail. People are starting tech companies everyday but only a tiny few, FB, Snapchat, Twitter, Amazon etc make it...

Kudos.  I think that's the key point people need to remember.  I've thrown about 5% of my portfolio into about 10 ICO's; but I go in expecting most, or maybe all will turn out to be worthless.  It's crazy when you read a Trollbox or various forum threads and people are thinking every ICO is the next BTC and will make them rich.  The Trollbox on Liqui was full of excitement and greed about a month ago and now it's full of bitter and angry people wondering what happened to their money.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Fatoshi (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 05:31:40 AM

...BUT people forget that 99% of new tech companies fail. People are starting tech companies everyday but only a tiny few, FB, Snapchat, Twitter, Amazon etc make it...

Kudos.  I think that's the key point people need to remember.  I've thrown about 5% of my portfolio into about 10 ICO's; but I go in expecting most, or maybe all will turn out to be worthless.  It's crazy when you read a Trollbox or various forum threads and people are thinking every ICO is the next BTC and will make them rich.  The Trollbox on Liqui was full of excitement and greed about a month ago and now it's full of bitter and angry people wondering what happened to their money.

The best way will be to wait. See which ones keep afloat and then maybe pick a bunch that might change their industry and throw a few ETH in and lock them away and forget about them. Hope being that only one needs to become the next big thing to get rich. I have a few in mind already but until you see a real user experience that works great and see real onboarding then I wouldn't want to buy. The it wont matter even if the market cap is a billion cause then it could have a market cap of billions later as the mainstream becomes interested.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 05:45:12 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2017, 06:09:54 AM by Spoetnik

No ICO's are the new scam system.
Copy catting the internet itself for profit is about what we see here.
Problem being is just like the web.. A gazillion different currencies does no one any good.

And you are lying your ass off.

You show up here with 1 single intent.
To act like these are "penny stocks" and pretend you are "investing" in companies that are selling you a product you need and want.. An open source decentralized digital currency.

Now step the fuck back and read what I just said.
Does that make a shred of sense?

It doesn't because investors are throwing scam excuses against the wall desperately hoping something will stick.
..in vain.

Sorry profiteers these ICO'S are not legit.
These are not penny stocks.
You are not in investors but willing scam participants.
You are not investing in companies either.
You are not supporting open-source decentralized currencies.
What you are doing is supporting shady anon scammy profit schemes in the thousands for cash money profits.

You are full of shit.
You show up then look for what is or will be soon popular.
You then buy some with Bitcoin.
Then you flog it like a good scammy ass shill loser.
Then you dump for BTC profits.
Then you jump to the next coin.
Rinse & repeat forever..

How is that company investor bullshit you are chanting legit?
Simple.. It's not.

Grow up frauds and start supporting open source decentralized digital currencies.
Not pointless doa profit schemes.

FUD first & ask questions later™
SenSeiSoKo

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 06:26:44 AM

The market is dotcom bubble, maybe bitcoin will be the only one. No one knows what will happen here, totally crazy... maybe ether at 10000 maybe at 0. risky but funny
toygg

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 07:29:07 AM

From what I see is that, ICO are surely a risky way for investment but u can net an tremendous amount of profit in a short time compared to stocks. Imagine u invested $100 USD to buy 1000 tokens during ICO, and it rose to $20 USD / token. U would have earned 20000% profit. Bottom line, just invest what u can afford to lose. Nevertheless, I still like this market.
Hui8

Activity: 602
Merit: 259

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 07:55:50 AM

To be honest ICO are not that bad black holes in the universe. It is jus new and quick way of raising the funds for any thought project which is established and then published for the public interest. Then we do more investment into it and all the related tokens or coins get more and more value which trade in the exchanger for our own benefit. It is far more better than investing into something which is not certain about its plans in the future.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: