Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:27:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apart from Bitcoin, What Other Economic Systems may Work in The Future?  (Read 944 times)
Fog Fence (OP)

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 10:54:57 PM

I believe diversity tends to bring stability.

I'd like to write a loose overview of 10-20 economic systems and ideas that might help to liberate our economy. Virtual currencies, micro-lending, local currencies, alternatives to paypal etc.

I don't believe one sole system has the answer. I'd like to cover systems with at least two years track record, and with no gaping flaws.

Kiva, Kickstarter, Bitcoin, Dwolla, LETS systems, Barter Club... I have plenty of ideas myself, but the field is so big I might have missed something.

Are there any other strong contenders?

Huh

ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 01:03:42 PM

Shire Silver  Grin

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
forbun

Activity: 107

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 08:09:25 PM

"Will ownership turn out to be largely a hack people resorted to before they had the infrastructure to manage sharing properly?" - Paul Graham @paulg

What name would you give to the smallest unit of bitcoin (0.00000001)? sat. What name would you give to 100 sats? bit. 1 bit = 1 uBTC. 1,000,000 bits = 1 BTC. It's bits
Fog Fence (OP)

Activity: 105

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:07:00 PM

That's a pretty good idea Shire Silver. I always wondered how people would make a true metallic currency for small purchases. After doing a background check I might well include something like that.

Paul Graham, I think we could evolve to a sharing economy, but a solid free market is probably an important stepping stone.

I think privately owning basics like a house, clothes, guitar etc is natural. I don't want my flat, jeans or bass to be owned by 'the community'. I doubt they want my old clothes either. Do these sharing models allow for basic property ownership?

Shareable's a good read.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:23:17 PM

That's a really neat idea.  I just wish the design on the cards didn't look so cartoony...

ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 10:23:33 PM

That's a really neat idea.  I just wish the design on the cards didn't look so cartoony...

The idea is public domain, and I have instructions on the site with info on how to make your own. I even have an Adobe Illustrator template file you can use as a starting point for your own design. I would love to see more people start up their own versions. I already know of a handful.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
melvster

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:26:41 PM

I believe diversity tends to bring stability.

I'd like to write a loose overview of 10-20 economic systems and ideas that might help to liberate our economy. Virtual currencies, micro-lending, local currencies, alternatives to paypal etc.

I don't believe one sole system has the answer. I'd like to cover systems with at least two years track record, and with no gaping flaws.

Kiva, Kickstarter, Bitcoin, Dwolla, LETS systems, Barter Club... I have plenty of ideas myself, but the field is so big I might have missed something.

Are there any other strong contenders?

Huh

We should be able to beam new coins to the poorest people in the world (via mobile phone).  Apart from the humanitarian aspect, there is sure to be a return on investment.  Consider how many einsteins and other outliers you would save alone.

That we dont do this, is the tragedy of our times. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: