Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:11:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Franko install client has malware, dont download it.  (Read 2333 times)
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:18:27 AM

Tobias

? It's about the same size as bitcoin-qt. If you mean the zip itself, that's because he included source files and an installer instead of just the standalone exe.

That is why.

It has literally everything in that zip file. So incase you didnt trust my compilations you could compile them yourself.

That zip contains,

Source
Setup
and precompiled QT and Daemon.

The guy is actually doing the right thing to build some confidence...but u noobs just dont get it do u

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Tobius

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:22:24 AM

Fair enough then Tongue Was just a bit surprised with the size of the precompiled binary

While I'm not sure about what will happen with yet another cryptocoin (pun intended) good luck with your venture
Number6

Activity: 490
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:56:03 AM

Fair enough then Tongue Was just a bit surprised with the size of the precompiled binary

While I'm not sure about what will happen with yet another cryptocoin (pun intended) good luck with your venture

The pre-compiled binary size of franko-qt (21,661 KB) is about the same size as the litecoin-qt binary (21,518 KB).

If you are comparing the franko-qt size with some of the other alts, say feathercoin-qt at 8,046 KB, for instance, please notice that those coins keep the dynamic link libraries (DLLs) separate from the executable. If you add in the 13,000 KB from the DLLs, you end up at about the same 21,000 KB size. The author just decided to compile everything into the binary instead of having external dependencies.

BTC:   18jdvLeM6r943eUY4DEC5B9cQZPuDyg4Zn     LTC:   LeBh9akQ3RwxwpUU6pJQ9YGs9PrC1Zc9BK
megablue

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 01:59:38 AM

The pre-compiled binary size of franko-qt (21,661 KB) is about the same size as the litecoin-qt binary (21,518 KB).

If you are comparing the franko-qt size with some of the other alts, say feathercoin-qt at 8,046 KB, for instance, please notice that those coins keep the dynamic link libraries (DLLs) separate from the executable. If you add in the 13 KB from the DLLs, you end up at about the same 21 KB size. The author just decided to compile everything into the binary instead of having external dependencies.

As much as i believe the op is a troll, I am here to educate people. You're only partially right about the file size.
file size comparison means absolutely... nothing.... a malware/trojan can be made extremely small or even the same size of the original file.

LTC: LQx367oQtbwsc7Ygf9S1B6E1d9LuGk7v11
Number6

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 02:04:27 AM

As much as i believe the op is a troll, I am here to educate people. You're only partially right about the file size.
file size comparison means absolutely... nothing.... a malware/trojan can be made extremely small or even the same size of the original file.

This is very true, I did not mean to imply that it is totally safe just because of that analysis. I was just pointing out there is a logical explanation for what would appear to be roughly a 3x as big file size compared to some of the other binaries. While it does not guarantee it to be malware free, it does offer one possibility as to its size. Always treat these executables with extreme caution.

BTC:   18jdvLeM6r943eUY4DEC5B9cQZPuDyg4Zn     LTC:   LeBh9akQ3RwxwpUU6pJQ9YGs9PrC1Zc9BK
Number6

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 02:15:26 AM

As much as i believe the op is a troll

I agree with you on this, it appears he was pretty excited about YAC going on BTC-e: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=202594.0

mon94key

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 02:59:28 AM

I really think there should be rules in place that stop public lies like this without sufficient evidence its jeopardises the stability of the coin and puts off new adaptors.
coinerd

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:36:44 AM

I love all the posts like "has anyone scanned this for viruses?" in the announcement thread.

Y U NO HAVE AV?>
Malkov

Activity: 86

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:40:28 PM

If you are comparing the franko-qt size with some of the other alts, say feathercoin-qt at 8,046 KB, for instance, please notice that those coins keep the dynamic link libraries (DLLs) separate from the executable. If you add in the 13,000 KB from the DLLs, you end up at about the same 21,000 KB size. The author just decided to compile everything into the binary instead of having external dependencies.

JAJAJAJ 21mb jajajaja Shhhh newbies---
sterob

Activity: 175

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:45:47 PM

i am sceptical but looking at jkc zip file 21mb, well....

Number6

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:13:08 PM

JAJAJAJ 21mb jajajaja Shhhh newbies---

And your point is?  I expressed the file sizes in KB to better compare the differences, if that is your intention. Either way it is still a valid comparison. As was mentioned earlier, none of this means the code is completely safe, but just jumping to conclusions based upon a perceived larger file size, which as I showed above is not necessarily the case, is what I would consider newbish.

Most of this FUD is "I missed the train" or "I have a vested interest elsewhere", so rather than make valid arguments it is easier to post nonsense comments such as this, or worse to outright make false accusations every time something comes out you don't agree with. Especially coming from these 11 post members, which I suspect may be just alt accounts of some of the FUD masters.

TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:20:23 PM

Seriously, it there any evidence the code source contains malware?
relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:25:23 PM

Nope. Just FUD being spread because the OP missed out on being an early adopter or whatever.

The dev actually cares about the project going by his posts here, so I wish him the best of luck.
Number6

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:29:20 PM

Nothing I have seen, except for the FUD thrown around by everyone trying to look out for themselves. Reminds me of political commercials right before an election. "Sure I might be an evil corporate crony bastard, but my opponent is far worse than me. You better vote for me as you will be far worse off with him." No mention of merits of their own coins, value, what makes it unique, etc., only trash talking of the competition. Seems the OP had no problem promoting other coins if you review his post history, just to cast further suspicion on his baseless accusation.

Malkov

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:39:16 PM

lies, many lies, staff interests of other users who say nonsense without understanding  Wink
Malkov

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:41:19 PM

is very easy to talk nonsense without knowledge  Huh
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:44:39 PM

Nope. Me and many others have ran this thing though many types of malware detectors and not found anything. So unless the person who put the "supposed" malware is just awesome and has come up with something not detectable not by just one, but many programs....or there was none.

Is it possible that there might be something in it? Sure. Nothing is 100%.... BUT....odds are that there is not.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: