Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:40:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Segwit2x gains 90% support before Aug 1st, will BIP148 still go live?  (Read 5911 times)
SGToken (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 01:56:16 AM

Since segwit already solved the block size issue, will BIP148 still necessary?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 02:17:00 AM

Segwit needs to activate first. BIP 148 is a method by which segwit can activate. Segwit2x is another method by which segwit can activate. Neither of those are necessary as segwit has its own method by which it can activate.

CyberKuro

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 04:16:02 PM

I'm not sure whether segwit or segwit2x will be the one or better than each-other.
But I've seen on the news that miners expected to signaling segwit2x on Friday July 21, but it seems segwit2x support has reach over 88%, whether it could reach 90-95% in the end of this month or miners will switch to segwit, then chain split not necessary to be happen. Do you think it could be happen?
IdVerification

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 05:21:45 AM

The must-read Segwit Decision Tree
posted: 7/17/2017
https://www.cryptoninjas.net/2017/07/17/must-read-segwit-decision-tree/

Fairly comprehensive summary outlining timelines and scenarios.
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 05:34:42 AM

I'm not sure whether segwit or segwit2x will be the one or better than each-other.
But I've seen on the news that miners expected to signaling segwit2x on Friday July 21, but it seems segwit2x support has reach over 88%, whether it could reach 90-95% in the end of this month or miners will switch to segwit, then chain split not necessary to be happen. Do you think it could be happen?

Let us just hope that it can happen...I know that many Bitcoin holders seem to be afraid of the possibility of a split though there are those who are also saying that a split is not that catastrophic actually. Some are pointing to what happened with Ethereum where it took time for Ethereum to get back to the growth path.

Whatever would happen I think we just have to accept them as generally speaking small Bitcoiners do not have any power to change the course of Bitcoin history. We just have to be prepared for any possibility.
bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:57:29 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2017, 01:10:50 PM by bit1

Let us just hope that it can happen...I know that many Bitcoin holders seem to be afraid of the possibility of a split though there are those who are also saying that a split is not that catastrophic actually. Some are pointing to what happened with Ethereum where it took time for Ethereum to get back to the growth path.

Whatever would happen I think we just have to accept them as generally speaking small Bitcoiners do not have any power to change the course of Bitcoin history. We just have to be prepared for any possibility.

Certainly miners  are showing their strength to be signaling for BIP91 and later activate Segwit2x but economic majority(that support the most of the Core devs) are waiting to start activating Segwit, So to put it in very simple terms, What is being is fighting a battle between those who seek to centralize BTC and those who do not, so to sum it up the small Bitcoiners as you call them, amalgamated between them constitute a  powerful force also and are free to choose which option to choose, So they should only be kept as informed as possible before they can decide.
maroboror

Activity: 32

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 01:01:05 PM

Simply it can't. Because bitminer's pool have >14% and they are against for now.
leupok

Activity: 5

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 01:23:55 PM

I think BIP148 will still go live but its not necessary in anyway.
Alex-Z

Activity: 129

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 03:07:21 PM

Where can I read about this Segwit2x more? Is this about Miners revolution or am I mistaken?
gueorguiev

Activity: 171
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 04:11:06 PM

I think BIP148 will still go live but its not necessary in anyway.

Bip 148 will most likely not go off if its main goal( Segwit ) is activated before the deadline, but regardless, Segwit will 100% happen whether it is through 141, 148, 149, 91, or Segwit2x. What people are concerned about at this point, is what will happen after. Frankly I think the best solution for the majority that believe in bitcoin is to activate BIP 141, but other prefer to take a more aggressive approach, and that's where 148 comes in.
Duchess

Activity: 232

Rubic stays cubic

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 07:31:57 PM

Where can I see current signalling stats for the various SegWit BIPs?

█████ ███ ██             ▐     Multi chain swap    ▐               Rubic Exchange              ▌    DeFi ecosystem    ▌             ██ ███ █████
Swap between 15000+ assets on 11 blockchains (ETH, BSC, Polygon, Avalanche, Moonriver, Fantom, Harmony, Solana, Arbitrum, Aurora, NEAR)
To add exchange widget to project site
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 08:13:56 PM

This has some info:

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/ver9-2k.png

CSV is check sequence verify, but that is already locked in, so doesn't appear.

BIP 91 is segwit2x (same bit anyway)

SegWit is raw segwit, it would need 95% to lock in.

If BIP-91 hits 80%, then SegWit signalling becomes mandatory, so it will go to 100% automatically, and then lock-in segwit mid-August.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
qiman

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2017, 05:41:50 AM

I am still confused what is the difference between all the various segwits. Why one is backed by some and one is backed by others. I wish there was a consensus one type segwit so we could get on with business as usual.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
gueorguiev

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 06:18:44 AM

I am still confused what is the difference between all the various segwits. Why one is backed by some and one is backed by others. I wish there was a consensus one type segwit so we could get on with business as usual.

There is no difference between them, they are all just segwit. Segwit2x and bip91 are just attempts by miners to get what they want by promising Segwit first, followed by their proposal of a 2mb Hardfork later on
SGToken (OP)

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 09:28:24 AM

It looks like BIP91 is making it's way to >80%. Today's blocks have more than 80% support.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 05:01:47 PM

This has some info:

If BIP-91 hits 80%, then SegWit signalling becomes mandatory, so it will go to 100% automatically, and then lock-in segwit mid-August.

But it's all the same segwit anyway. Even if segwit gets activated with BIP91, it's the same code and it's compatible with all clients, so we don't need to run the segwit2x crap to enjoy segwit.

After segwit is locked in a lot of miners will not support the hardfork. You are delusional if you think 80% of hashrate wants to hardfork in 5 months.
styca

Activity: 1078
Merit: 354

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 05:07:11 PM

It looks like BIP91 is making it's way to >80%. Today's blocks have more than 80% support.

Back to 79% ish now.
But BitFury are supposed to be coming in as well, aren't they? So that's another couple of %.
It might be close in the end.
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 05:42:46 PM

This has some info:

But it's all the same segwit anyway. Even if segwit gets activated with BIP91, it's the same code and it's compatible with all clients, so we don't need to run the segwit2x crap to enjoy segwit.

After segwit is locked in a lot of miners will not support the hardfork. You are delusional if you think 80% of hashrate wants to hardfork in 5 months.

If segwit is going to get activated and segwit2x is being finalized by most of the big Chinese miners, will hardfork still take place???
We are all scared about this hardfork thing itself, but few of the news sites are saying that it is hardly possible we will be seeing any kinda fork as the probability has become unlikely to see such things happen...
What will actually happen if segwit, which is currently resolving the scaling issues, gets activated through BIP91 or SegWit2x???
Can anyone put up some light over this???

gueorguiev

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 06:37:26 PM

This has some info:

If segwit is going to get activated and segwit2x is being finalized by most of the big Chinese miners, will hardfork still take place???
We are all scared about this hardfork thing itself, but few of the news sites are saying that it is hardly possible we will be seeing any kinda fork as the probability has become unlikely to see such things happen...
What will actually happen if segwit, which is currently resolving the scaling issues, gets activated through BIP91 or SegWit2x???

I think the current thought most people have are that by ourselves BIP141 cant get activated because of Chinese miners, but with BIP91 Segwit2x you can get the support from people who want Segwit + Miners working together and once it is activated, scrap the future plan of Hardfork months later. I think this is the consensus most people are coming too and when the time comes around for the hardfork, there will be much less support for it, and it will be blocked.
TheReamer

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 07:39:13 PM

This has some info:

I think the current thought most people have are that by ourselves BIP141 cant get activated because of Chinese miners, but with BIP91 Segwit2x you can get the support from people who want Segwit + Miners working together and once it is activated, scrap the future plan of Hardfork months later. I think this is the consensus most people are coming too and when the time comes around for the hardfork, there will be much less support for it, and it will be blocked.

That is a good insight, I also agree.

Curated list of active & quality airdrops. Earn free crypto! http://cutt.us/airdrop
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: